Any Info on Denver?

I have a phone interview with a consulting firm in Denver. I've only been to the Denver airport, so my experience with the city is basically 0. I was wondering if anyone on this forum could give me any info. I'm googling of course, but getting the inside scoop from fellow vegans is always handy.

Cost of living? What's the culture like? Do you like it there? Why/why not? What's it like being a vegan in Denver? And any other useful bits of info are welcome too.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm from the Denver area originally, so I can try to help:

Cost of living is pretty high, but not compared to coastal cities, generally.

It has a completely undeserved reputation of being vegan-friendly. Though there are a lot of chain health food stores, there are not very many vegans or vegan businesses, sadly.

Like any other big city, the culture is pretty diverse, and it's what you make of it. The region is beautiful, and you'll never be for want of a whole foods. Let me know if there's anything more specific you want to know.

Thanks you two. I had my 2nd interview today and I think it went well. They said they would contact me in 2-3 weeks. The only thing I'm unsure about is the salary...it doesn't sound like it's worth moving to Denver for (it would be a pretty big move for me).

Is it a friendly place? My husband probably is going to be in California for a year and we would be apart. I'm a bit worried because I don't know anybody in Denver and I'm not the most extroverted person out there.

I'm here! (well, technically Golden but it's the same thing). I'm not outgoing in any way either (nerdy physics student) but there is still opportunity to meet people.

It's not a bad place for vegans, but not great either. There are 4 or 5 solid vegan places, and many more where you can find something to eat, with a limited selection.

It gets cold in the winters, hot in the summers, and mostly dry year-round.

There is opportunity for hiking and biking, especially in communities towards the mountains (Golden, Ken Caryl, Boulder, etc.) and many people here are focused on fitness (thinnest state in the nation, <15% obesity!).

As far as the cost of living, it really depends on what community you live in, and where you like to shop. Home prices in the upscale middle-class neighborhoods can be inflated, but like with most things, you just gotta shop around.

If you have any other specific questions, just throw me a PM!

My brother lives in Denver, I'll be going to his wedding in late May.

He's like me, but not quite as cool kidding...he's vegetarian since age 11, not vegan, but a cool guy...so he's another one in the area and I may visit him more often as I'm out on my book tour too.

All the best to you with your job search and potential move!

• 2 months later...

my brother lives outside of denver and honestly I really like it there lobster. I think you would be happy there if you did decide to go there. I've never had any problems with my diet when I go to visit him out there. Also we always find tons of outdoor activities to do, itis a really pretty area and people are really open to being active. However, I've visited california too and I love it there also so either way I think you will have a great place. Although both places can be expensive.