vegan cats

Attila

I read that is advisable not to feed a vegan diet to cats. This can be dangerous to their health as there isn't enough research to show that cats can survive on such diet.

The article said something like: cows are designed to eat grass, cats are designed to eat flesh.

Cats are predator, my cat spent all his life in an apartment and he still managed to kill birds that used to stand on our balcony.

Edited by Cristian

Madcat,

Actually, Jed (the guy who wrote the Obligate Carnivore), eventually stated that he thought that perhaps it was not ideal for all cats to be on a vegan diet due to the fact that some will inevitably have health issues from it. To my knowledge he's never retracted this statement since he made it about 6 months ago, which has definitely made me question the notion of having cats go vegan. Even though it was his business to sell vegan cat food he went against his own industry, which to me means that he must definitely feel strongly about his statement.

Yes I know, but in the book he never says that. I guess my post was mostly in reference to Cristian’s post… he said the article said not to feed cats vegan food but because “cows are designed to eat grass, cats are designed to eat flesh”. That book deals with the issue of why cats are considered obligate carnivores, although perhaps his conclusions aren’t right seeing how his cat food is not working out. I also definitely recommend this book to Attila.

Yes I know, but in the book he never says that. I guess my post was mostly in reference to Cristian’s post… he said the article said not to feed cats vegan food but because “cows are designed to eat grass, cats are designed to eat flesh”. That book deals with the issue of why cats are considered obligate carnivores, although perhaps his conclusions aren’t right seeing how his cat food is not working out. I also definitely recommend this book to Attila.

Hi madcat,

thanks for the recommandation - I will read it!

btw: Can you tell me who this is on your avatar?