Pullups/dips

My gym has a couple belts, but I bought my own a long time ago. Grizzly makes a good one, rated for 350lbs. No animal giblets.

Dude I love you. I think I'm going to buy it. I ordered from vegansportshop, they have oen but it broke when I added like 45 kg. Brian was really nice and sent me another one but I'm not sure if it will hold and I'm up to 55 kg dips and I have just started doing them again. Fuck this makes me siked. LOVE YOU!!

They do have one... I will try it out tomorrow and report back.

Good luck!

My gym has a couple belts, but I bought my own a long time ago. Grizzly makes a good one, rated for 350lbs. No animal giblets.

Dude I love you. I think I'm going to buy it. I ordered from vegansportshop, they have oen but it broke when I added like 45 kg. Brian was really nice and sent me another one but I'm not sure if it will hold and I'm up to 55 kg dips and I have just started doing them again. Fuck this makes me siked. LOVE YOU!!

No problem. Nice dipping weights, BTW.

No problem. Nice dipping weights, BTW.

Thanks dood, but I'm just getting started . I found a UK based shop that sells the grizzly belts, they say that the chain is good for 600 pounds . I'm waiting for shipping info from them, they also sell pea protein so I might buy some of that too. Awesome product it seems like, and grizzlys are damn cool.

http://shimshonit.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/grizzly-roar.jpg

I am up to 13 pullups and 16 dips. For the pullups should I add a weight belt or change to a wide grip, or just keep increasing the number? For the dips should I add a weight belt or just keep increasing too?

Thanks

IF i was you I'd add whatever weight puts you down to the 5-10 rep range depending on goals. I'm usually in the 5-8 range. From my experience the best way to increase total reps of a certain exercise is staying low rep and building more total strength then at the end of that muscle group do higher rep body weight.

I remember 5 years again i had a body weight fanatic friend who thought weights were a waste of time and they don't build "functional strength" he told me there was no way i could do 80 push ups because i only train low rep bench which doesn't carry over to push ups. And then i busted out 100 push ups never training over 10 reps on bench or doing any push ups.

I am up to 13 pullups and 16 dips. For the pullups should I add a weight belt or change to a wide grip, or just keep increasing the number? For the dips should I add a weight belt or just keep increasing too?

Thanks

IF i was you I'd add whatever weight puts you down to the 5-10 rep range depending on goals. I'm usually in the 5-8 range. From my experience the best way to increase total reps of a certain exercise is staying low rep and building more total strength then at the end of that muscle group do higher rep body weight.

I remember 5 years again i had a body weight fanatic friend who thought weights were a waste of time and they don't build "functional strength" he told me there was no way i could do 80 push ups because i only train low rep bench which doesn't carry over to push ups. And then i busted out 100 push ups never training over 10 reps on bench or doing any push ups.

When someone says you don't train "functionally," you should just punch them in the face. Ask them how "functional" of a movement that was.

If that doesn't hold up for any reason, get one of these:

http://www.pullum-sports.co.uk/strength-training-equipment/miscellaneous-strength/ironmind-the-de-rigeur-dipping-belt/prod_172.html

If you break anything from IronMind, you deserve to have a massive bronze statue built in your honor

Thanks

LOL Good one. Theres some truth about function vs. non functional exercises, but i find the term gets used too much usually to hype a certain kinda of training. Bottom line if someone is lifting heavy free weights they're strong. You don't have to be able to squat on a swiss ball lol

Like everything else in diet and fitness, people take the "functional" thing too far.

Free weights = functional. If you're literally only doing isolation exercises on machines and nothing else, then I'd agree that you could afford to train more functionally. If you're doing all or mostly free weights, you're plenty functional.

I am up to 13 pullups and 16 dips. For the pullups should I add a weight belt or change to a wide grip, or just keep increasing the number?

As Cubby said, it depends on your goals. My goals are to increase strength and size, so I'd add weight. If you're trying to build endurance or more of a "cut" or just limit your mass (not everyone wants to be big), add more reps. Once you get to 25, I'd start adding a little weight, though.

What caught my eye was you asking if you should change your grip. For me, I do underhand, overhand, neutral, overhand wide, and underhand wide. For each of these, I have a different amount that I can do, and I suggest that you do this as well. This will maximize the amount of back development your pull-ups will provide for you, and whether you're trying to add bulk or cut, that's a good thing.

I'd second the recommendation for Ironmind belts. I'm using a Super Squats belt right now for my weighted pull ups & dips (plus obviously use it for squats too) & the thing is completely bombproof; guaranteed up to 3500lbs apparently

I'm currently doing a 5/3/1 style routine for weighted pull ups & dips, & it seems to be working well based on the weight I've been adding & the reps I've been doing. Personally I don't place too much importance on doing loads of different grips for pulls/chins. My standard pull up grip is overhand with hands slightly wider than shoulder width; besides this the only other grip I use regularly is close grip underhand, plus sometimes neutral.

Like everything else in diet and fitness, people take the "functional" thing too far.

Free weights = functional. If you're literally only doing isolation exercises on machines and nothing else, then I'd agree that you could afford to train more functionally. If you're doing all or mostly free weights, you're plenty functional.

Exactly. I have nothing against functional training, and my masters program is actually based heavily on it. For the average trainee, using free weights and doing compound movements is more than enough. If you are preparing for a sport, you may want to supplement your big movements with some more sport specific ones.

That Iron Minds belt sounds like a beast. I may have to grab one if I destroy mine at some point.