Saturated fat, cholesterol, testosterone, etc.

Guest xzebrasx

I was just wondering - do vegans need to get _any_ saturated fat in their diets to prevent testosterone levels from dropping? Is there a connection between the two at all? If so, how much of it do we need? Is there a connection between total fat intake and testosterone?

Also, is it true that if someone doesn't get any cholesterol in one's diet, the body manufactures enough of its own? I've been discussing vitamin D with an omni and he basically said that since vegans don't consume foods that contain cholesterol, they need to eat extremely healthily to not run into a deficiency. Sounds like a FAIL to me, but I'd like to hear some opinions.

Sorry for the slew of questions, but I just wanted to write them down before I forget

As always - any input would be much appreciated!

I'm not an expert and anecdotal accounts are not conclusive evidence.

Over the years on vegan forums, including this one and veganfitness.net, various vegan men have gone to their doctors to have their testosterone measured, particularly in light of the anti-soy propaganda. Everyone posting has come back with normal levels.

I wouldn't listen to anyone on the web about this issue.

It is easy enough to go for a medical checkup and ask your doctor to include it in your tests.

do vegans need to get _any_ saturated fat in their diets to prevent testosterone levels from dropping?

Dropping from what and dropping to what?

Is there a connection between the two at all? If so, how much of it do we need?

You don't "need" any SAFAs, they are not essential in any aspect. There is a certain connection between SAFAs and testosterone but see below.

Is there a connection between total fat intake and testosterone?

Yes there is and the totalt amount seems to be more important then the type of fat however there is no known truth here as far as I know.

Also, is it true that if someone doesn't get any cholesterol in one's diet, the body manufactures enough of its own?

Yes.

I've been discussing vitamin D with an omni and he basically said that since vegans don't consume foods that contain cholesterol, they need to eat extremely healthily to not run into a deficiency.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Do we need more vitamin D because we eat less cholesterol? What are we gonna be deficient in, vitamin D or cholesterol?

Dropping from what and dropping to what?

Dropping from sufficient to insufficient. Does that make any sense? I was just thinking whether vegans need any saturated fat in their diets to prevent testosterone levels from decreasing over time.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Do we need more vitamin D because we eat less cholesterol? What are we gonna be deficient in, vitamin D or cholesterol?

The former. But you'd already answered the question - our bodies autoregulate, so there's no need to get cholesterol from food.

Although it is possible to be deficient in cholesterol, right? What might be the cause(s) of that?

P.S. maybe I should just PM these questions to someone as they're so easily answerable and I feel like I'm just clogging the forum with these short, useless (?) threads of mine?

Dropping from sufficient to insufficient. Does that make any sense? I was just thinking whether vegans need any saturated fat in their diets to prevent testosterone levels from decreasing over time.

Insufficient for what?

Decreasing testosterone over time is considered to be a part of healthy aging. And just to be clear on a few things, high t-levels are good for building muscle, low t-levels is most likely damn good if you don't want cancer.

Although it is possible to be deficient in cholesterol, right?

I'm not sure if deficient is the correct medical term but too low cholesterol can have negative effects yes.

What might be the cause(s) of that?

Most likely genetics or statins.

Insufficient for what?

Decreasing testosterone over time is considered to be a part of healthy aging. And just to be clear on a few things, high t-levels are good for building muscle, low t-levels is most likely damn good if you don't want cancer.

Meh, I'm just talking outta my ass here By "insufficient" I meant "below normal". And yes, I do understand that test levels decrease over time due to aging.

Most likely genetics or statins.

Got it, thanks!