Beginner mountain / trail bike

Barb123

I am looking to start into biking to change up my cardio routine and am looking into getting a beginner mountain bike. This will be my first trip on a bicycle in quite a while, that is a bike that actually goes somewhere since I've been taking spin classes.

A friend told me that Magna makes a good starter bike. Does anyone have any input as I know nothing much on bikes, except the stationary sort. I'm planning on using it mainly on trails and maybe the road once in a while. Maybe 10-12 mile rides, nothing excessive. I just don't want to end up with some junk. Thanks everyone!

Go to a real bike shop. I'm assuming you mean paved trails or limestone trails, not mountain bike (off road) trails.

Look at the Trek FX series. Those are great bikes for commuting and tooling around the city.

Magna is NOT the way to go. Real bikes aren't toys, and as such, aren't cheap. Look to spend around $500 for a decent bike that will last and work consistently.

Also, if you're not riding off road, don't (repeat, do not!) get a suspension fork. All that will do is absorb the energy you put into pedaling and slow you down.

BUT, good luck. I recommend finding a shop near you, going in there and asking questions. BUT, be wary of taking advice from someone with something to gain from you.

Well, here's what happened. My overbearing know it all husband (yes I'm a tad pissed off) went out and would not listen to me and got some Magna mountain bike cheap. I didn't even get to try it first. Anyway- Well it certainly IS just that : cheap.

I rode BMX a bit as a teenager and all I can say is that this bike- I don't know the model but I think it's a mountain type bike, is I think too tall for me and hard to control and it feels really bouncy if that makesany sense. (Maybe the suspension fork?) I'm going to have to make a solo trip to the local bike shop and check it out. As I type this my husband is out in our driveway ranting that I'm being stupid and that it's "just a bike" and I don't know what I'm talking about. Maybe I don't but all I do know is that this particular bike "feels" wrong. I know if I keep that one I'm going to end up on my ass.

Thanks for your advice. I do appreciate it. As for now I'm off for a run. Thanks again.

You're right. He's wrong, and he's being a jackass.

Just a bike is like just a car, is like just a pair of shoes or just a "whatever dude is into".

You don't want to ride that. it'll fall apart, and riding it is going to suck.

Return it. Immediately. And then tell him you're a grown up and can handle it yourself.

Went for a pretty good run on the trail.....I think anger pumps up the energy After that I decided to hop in the car and swung by a bike shop in my area. They don't sell Trek brand so I couldn't try those, but I did get to try about 4 different bikes. A couple Cannondale and a couple Specialized. What a major difference!! So I ended up buying a mountain bike that seemed to ride really well.....I pick it up tomorrow afternoon and I'm psyched now that I LOVE how it rides. I even did a wheelie in their parking lot...I know I'm a little immature but so excited. My husband is pretty pissed as is typical, but he'll get over it I suppose. Anyway the bike I'm getting is a Specialized and it's a Hardrock Disc model. That last bit may as well be Greek to me, but all I know is I love how it handles. They assured me that the trail I'll be on most of the time (not paved- maybe limestone?? has some gravel, rocks but mostly level to slightly bumpy) won't be a problem for this bike. Hopefully it's going to last a while.

Again thank you guys for your help and words of encouragement. Tomorrow I'm hitting the gym to lift and then I'm off to pick up my new ride! Looks like I'll be riding solo for a while til the "jackass" cools it....in addition to making meals for one since he "doesn't understand" the veganism either. Oh well......could always be worse. Have a good one everyone!

pardon the snarky remark, but it sure sounds like you picked a winner...

anyhow, congrats on the bike! I still am not sure the suspension fork was the way to go, but the hardrocks are a nice model. The "disc" part only means that it has disc brakes.

The aluminum frame will be nice and light, and the tires will soak up any road vibrations. I'd have the shop guys tighten the preload adjustment so it doesn't squish so much. (the fork, that is...The more is squishes the less efficient it will be)

but that's a great model for getting started out on! Go enjoy it!!

Took it out for a pretty nice ride today on the trail....mostly awesome, just mostly- due to a header I took over a log. Landed on my damn right arm with the tendonitis- go figure! Guess that's par for the course since it's been like forever for me. I love it and although I only did 5 or 6 miles, it is really different than say 12 miles on a stationary bike in spin class.....my arm and scrapes attest to that. It's definitely gonna jazz up my cardio routine. I usually run or use the elliptical but this rocks! I'm sore but still psyched about the rides to come. Thanks everyone!

That fall flared up the tendonitis and now it's back in full force, so I'm icing it when I can. Do you think lifting will make the tendonitis worse? I really don't want to have to miss. My orthopedic doc says that it's gonna be a chronic problem. I've had it on and off for almost a year now.