Am I doing too much cardio to gain muscle?

I'm 23, 6'4", 175lbs. I'm thin. I lift weights usually 5 days a week. Most of those days I like to do some cardio, usually only about 20 minutes, burning 200-300 calories. The cardio makes me feel good and sleep better. I need to eat over 3000 calories a day to maintain or gain weight. If I meet that goal, will I necessarily grow muscle? or am I overtraining, either with lifting or cardio?

I just read an article saying skinny guys should be careful about overtraining.

I'm 23, 6'4", 175lbs. I'm thin. I lift weights usually 5 days a week. Most of those days I like to do some cardio, usually only about 20 minutes, burning 200-300 calories. The cardio makes me feel good and sleep better. I need to eat over 3000 calories a day to maintain or gain weight. If I meet that goal, will I necessarily grow muscle? or am I overtraining, either with lifting or cardio?

Nutrition-wise, if you're slowly gaining weight and increasing strenght in the gym - it's all good. But training 5 times/week and doing cardio sounds like overkill to me. Especially for a newbie lifter. If I were you, I'd stick to 3 weekly lifting sessions (moderate volume, high-intensity usually works best for naturally skinny ectomorph-types) and only do cardio if bodyweight is going up, strenght is going up and if I absolutely LOVE doing it, which is rarely the case with most weightlifters

All forms of cardio have their own pros and cons and can be incorporated into a sensible lifting program to keep fat-gain at bay (although not eating way too much works just as well), raise one's VO2 max, increase work capacity, etc., but, again, I wouldn't worry about that kind of thing just now. Lift heavy, eat plenty, rest plenty, repeat. Get the fundamentals down first, worry about minutiae later.

Good luck!

Nutrition-wise, if you're slowly gaining weight and increasing strenght in the gym - it's all good. But training 5 times/week and doing cardio sounds like overkill to me. Especially for a newbie lifter. If I were you, I'd stick to 3 weekly lifting sessions (moderate volume, high-intensity usually works best for naturally skinny ectomorph-types) and only do cardio if bodyweight is going up, strenght is going up and if I absolutely LOVE doing it, which is rarely the case with most weightlifters

All forms of cardio have their own pros and cons and can be incorporated into a sensible lifting program to keep fat-gain at bay (although not eating way too much works just as well), raise one's VO2 max, increase work capacity, etc., but, again, I wouldn't worry about that kind of thing just now. Lift heavy, eat plenty, rest plenty, repeat. Get the fundamentals down first, worry about minutiae later.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll tone things down a bit. Is it okay to 5 times a week though if I'm just focussing on one or two muscle groups per day?

Is it okay to 5 times a week though if I'm just focussing on one or two muscle groups per day?

Well, since you're new to lifting, almost anything will work for a little while. But why would you want to lift 5x/week? It's wholly unnecessary and may even be counterproductive. I'd follow either a full-body or some sort of simple upper/lower, or push/pull kind of routine, focusing on the main movements - deadlift, squat, bench, pull-ups/chin-ups, dips, overhead presses, etc. Lifting 5 times per week may be needed for elite athletes, but it's totally pointless for all the rest.

I to am more on the lighter side at least for my liking. I'm 6'0" at last weigh in 160 lbs.

I used to train 5 days a week I ate around 4500 calories a day and never really noticed too much gain. I have a super fast metabolism as well. So bout 5 months ago I started on a Strength Training Program. Starting Strength but slightly modified. I workout now 3 days a weeks eat around 2500 - 3000 calories and I have noticed great gains as well and strength. I am now adding in at least 2 to 3 sessions of cardio each week around 1 hour since I am trying to cut the annoying bodyfat that lingers around the mid section in an effort to get the nice abs showing.

I would suggest trying something like that and see where it takes you.

I to am more on the lighter side at least for my liking. I'm 6'0" at last weigh in 160 lbs.

I used to train 5 days a week I ate around 4500 calories a day and never really noticed too much gain. I have a super fast metabolism as well. So bout 5 months ago I started on a Strength Training Program. Starting Strength but slightly modified. I workout now 3 days a weeks eat around 2500 - 3000 calories and I have noticed great gains as well and strength. I am now adding in at least 2 to 3 sessions of cardio each week around 1 hour since I am trying to cut the annoying bodyfat that lingers around the mid section in an effort to get the nice abs showing.

I would suggest trying something like that and see where it takes you.

will do. thanks

My personal experience has been that I never put on any significant mass until I toned down my cardio a lot. I was training for half-marathons and duathlons, though, so my cardio schedule was pretty intense! These days I do a half hour of cardio a couple of times a week. Strawberryriddick's advice is probably the best...only you will know what your body wants and can handle. If you're finding your progress is slower than you like and you're sure you've got a solid lifting and eating regimen, then I would consider scaling back the cardio for a month or two and see what happens. If you're making decent progress, then keep the cardio if you enjoy it!

I'm in the same boat with having issues not gaining muscle weight due to excess cardio. I have dropped cardio slightly because I'm taking time off from the club sport I play to concentrate on college but still incorporate it. I've been slowly gaining weight, something that has been very hard for me due to the excess amount of sport I have to do in college.

I usually work on the basis of volume. Whilst I try to go heavy, sometimes I can not and I just try to do more sets till failure on a slightly lower weight. Others may have different sessions.

• 5 weeks later...