I was just wondering how many different kinds of shoes people usually have for different activities. I was using my runners (New Balance) for working out in our home gym (weights and elliptical, no treadmill), but I figured that probably wasn't good for me since that's not what they're made for, plus they are my outside shoes anyway. I went out yesterday and bought some Asics crosstrainers that are supposed to have really good stability and support, and I'll use those in the gym now. I also got a pair of Saucony crosstrainers for all the walking I do during my normal day.

Does that sound normal? How do you guys handle your shoe situations?

I wear Converse (boo hiss evil nike boo, yeah yeah) in the gym for weight lifting since sneakers are required there. I have a pair of Asics running shoes for running. The Asics used to be my everyday shoe as well, but I've since switched to wearing another pair of Converse all the time since their soles are so thin and flexible.

I wear a pair of Asics for running and for lifting. I know I shouldn't use them for lifting but I do.

I have my cycling shoes for my bike.

And then I have about 10 pair of everyday shoes. It would probably be more, but it's hard for me to find shoes since they a) need to be vegan, and b) need to fit my giant feet, which most shoes don't (and those that do are usually leather).

I use Macbeth shoes for lifting (they're basically the same type of shoe as Converse all-stars) and Asics running shoes for running. I would reccommend something simple, canvas, with a fairly flat rubber sole like Converse All-Stars for lifting because it's important to have stability, especially when performing lifts like the squat or the deadlift. I think it's not too important what type of shoe you wear for lifting other than those two lifts, but I could be wrong.

I'll actually use my wrestling shoes for any type of workout. They are really light and sticky and I feel like I get a better workout in them for some reason, I feel like I can move like lightning fast compared to normal shoes. If you have any wrestling shoes in the closet try them out with your next workout, guarantee you'll love them!

If you want something really light and flexible, I recommend Jingas:

http://www.jingashop.com/jinga_shop.asp

My friend runs a vegan store here in Turku and she just ordered a nice bunch of these shoes. They are incredibly light (200g/7oz per pair) since they are obviously made for capoeira!

I don't use shoes when I lift weights. I do have 3 pairs of shoes for breakdancing but since it's my profession more or less, I need to have really good shoes since I do it hundreds of hours every year.

Otherwise I have like 7 pairs of shoes for different purposes but I mainly use just 2 or 3 pairs depending on season.

• 1 month later...
macbeth - casual
How long have you had them? I tried a pair of macbeths a while ago and after three weeks the sides completely ripped apart.

ive had 3 pairs over the past 4 years or so...2 are still in great shape.

these are my fav., this is not my pair, just a google pic, but i love these shoes.

http://helwashop.com/images/Macbeth/MB-31.%20Macbeth%20Velcro%20Elliot%20Shoe-Hitam%20Putih.jpg

I use converse with various kinds of shoe inserts for every day activity and the same pair of cross trainers for all my activity. Bare foot for yoga, stretching, and most ab stuff. Of course I have knee and low back problems so I should probably change my evil ways.

I use converse with various kinds of shoe inserts for every day activity and the same pair of cross trainers for all my activity. Bare foot for yoga, stretching, and most ab stuff. Of course I have knee and low back problems so I should probably change my evil ways.

i stopped buying converse when nike bought them many years ago, when i switched, my knees and back improved. horrible shoes if you need any support.

I wear these to the gym and when I want to feel cooler than the people wearing toms

http://nmobrien.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/vibram_fivefingers.jpg

these aren't bad either, made in USA

http://www.shoemetro.com/images/Product/medium/120611.jpg

My lifting buddy was told he couldn't wear his vibrams into the weight room. According to the director, the people who work there are too stupid to know the different between them and aquasocks, and aquasocks are a no-no.

When I go weightlifting I wear my weightlifting shoes (adidas Ironwork II) . Occasionally when I go to a more fitness type gym where it is not possible to do squats etc I use a pair of adidas stabil handball/floorball/indoor shoes. Running I do not do often but when I do I wear running shoes.

When I'm working out at home I like lifting barefooted. At the gym that's not allowed so I usually wear my running shoes. Can you run in the Vibram's? Is there any cushioning in them at all? They look like they'd be the closest to barefooted. I haven't ever seen them in any stores in my area. I usually end up wearing Brooks or Asics. So many, the majority it seems, at my gym wear Nikes. I don't think they're as great as some people make them out to be......but for whatever reason they seem most popular.