Greetings from Denmark!

exciton

Hi all,

Cool to see the lively activity at this excellent board. I've been around for a while -- today I decided it was time to step out of the shadows and say "hi" to all you great people. I've been vegetarian for 5 -6 years. I feel that veganism is the only logical conclusion of "ethical" vegetarianism, and hence through the last couple of years I have gradually adopted this way of living.

All the best,

Niels

Welcome Niels!

Great to have you here. By the way, I've been to Denmark and LOVE it!

Did you see my feature in the Danish Vegetarian magazine this month?

Here is the link. I can't read it but I'm sure you can

viewtopic.php?t=1423

Thanks for saying hi. I'm sure you'll have a fun time getting to know some of the members here. We are a pretty cool group. I look forward to reading more from you.

You look like you are in great shape!

All the best,

Robert

First, I would like to thank everyone for the very warm welcome! And again "Hi" to everyone (waves)!

There were a few notes along the way, I'll address them here:

Robert:

I'm glad that you liked Denmark! Thanks for the kind words.

Yes, I read your article in "Vegetaren" -- The "journal" of the Danish vegetarian society. It's a great article, and these people are very fond of you. Let me know if you wan't me to translate the article to English -- In that case I'll do my best.

CrispyQ:

I'm glad we agree . The particular formulation btw, i.e. "veganism is the logical conclusion of vegetarianism" is actually not my own. I can't remember where it came _from_, but the truth contained in these words is universal.

Offense74:

Hej min nabo

Evan:

Hehe, yeah, it is cold now. -4 degs C, or so.. but the Danish summer _can_ be quite nice .

Flanders77:

Thanks! Well, I keep my training quite simple. I train for strength, since I am an office guy -- sitting all day in front of a computer. Actually, I've just invested in a squat rack and an adjustable bench. Virtually all my exercises can be performed using this combination -- with the notable exception of chins. So once a week I go to a center to do my chins

Daywalker:

Well, I train for strength at a "hobby" level. I try to do quite a few compound exercises (squats, millitary press, bench, etc). Occasionally I throw in a couple of isolation movements (just because I love them). In particular, one-arm rows and concentration curls. I enjoy mountainbiking for cardio (although we have no mountains in DK).

Have a wonderful day everyone. I am looking forwards to chatting with you.

Glad you made the right choice, exciton. How'd you come up with that moniker?

Hi Raven,

Hehe.. well _I_ didn't come up with it, actually. I was influenced by a course I had some years ago in semiconductor physics. Here, an "exciton" is a quasiparticle -- an electron and its hole taken as a whole. So I thought : "Damnd, sometimes I feel like a quasiparticle".. hence the nick . Whats the story behind your handle? Inspired from Nordic mythology, perhaps?

All the best,

Niels

Niels,

Thanks for the kind words about the magazine. Maybe you are the only person on the forum who has seen it. It is a really cool 4 page total 4-photo feature in a Danish vegetarian magazine.

I still have my orginal text in English and it doesn't look like it was changed much so I don't think I need it translated, but thanks, and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Cool to have you on the board. I really enjoyed Denmark, it may have been my favorite place of the 15 countries I visited in Europe in 2004. It is very hard to pick a favorite and I didn't stay in each place very long. I guess that means I'll have to go back someday!

I'm glad people in Denmark are pleased with my article, I think I will be writing more for that magazine in the future

Have a great day and I'm glad you are quickly getting to know our forum members. They are Great!

-Robert

exciton, you feel like a whole hole? Neat story.

Well, I'm a bird person -- love them; all of them. I suppose I could be an owl or a hawk, turkeys are sweet, a dove, swan; but I think ravens are mysterious and dark...quite mischievous and considered the most intelligent of the wild birds Best to be identified with the crafty, intelligent not-so-beautiful ones rather than the beautiful always-the-prey, dumber ones

Actually, all birds are extremely intelligent. I love them all.

Smurf ones? I gotta try this!

<---- Holy Crap! It's Papa Smurf! That's cool. Here's a smurfy factoid:

In Europe, the smurf theme song actually has words other than "La la la la la la la la la la la" etc.

In the states I have only heard one English version were they said "Sing a happy song, smurfy all day long" But in Europe, they have a whole song full of real words. Crazy huh?

I like Day Walker's smurf saying "goodness takes the bad away"

Robert:

Thanks again! Personally, I think one of the nice things about Denmark is its small size -- it gives you the feeling (illusion) that if you work hard enough for a case, then other people will hear you.. One of the bad things about Denmark, is our "pork production".. the production/slaughter of 25000000 pigs per year is absolutely insane. Let me know if you plan to visit Denmark again -- my bench is your bench .

Raven:

Haha, yeah.. I feel like a real hole sometimes.. some would probably like to add a prefix to that word ..

I tend to agree with your observation that the raven seems more intelligent than other birds -- but of course the subject is complex. There is no doubt, however, that these birds are mysterious.

Phoenix:

Interesting - I must admit I know very little of the north american indigenous cultures. However, I recall from school that Hugin and Munin were the two ravens of Odin the god of war, death and wisdom. Hugin and Munin were the eyes and ears of Odin, and they would fly out and see and hear everything happening in world. Later they would report to Odin, so as to keep him up to date. I guess he uses the internet today, but the old concept might come in handy in the case of Google failure.

compassionategirl:

Hi, and thanks for the welcome

May you all have a great day!

Hey, Phoenix and exciton, another reason I love ravens is that they *are* highly symbolic as you've suggested. Oftentimes they are associated with witches and witchcraft and such; especially in the distant pass in order to justify suppression of women (recall stake burning,and women being referred to as witches, "casting spells" on men with their sexuality, etc.,)

So, I suppose it's sort of a nod to my foremothers Many have suffered so we can be who we are and where we are today. (hmm, we need a feminist smiley...)

Didn't want to get too heavy on you all, but that's another one of the reasons I like ravens.

Hi Phoenix,

You are welcome . I feel in the same way about a lot of things, btw. The brain works in mysterious ways.

All the best,

Niels

Hey Exciton, that's very nice. I recall those names but for the life of me I don't know why I know them.

thanks.