Hello from Bellingham, WA

WROrganics

Good morning everyone! I'm Michael, 26, just moved to Bellingham Washington earlier this year to start up an organic vegan company focused on 100% oil independence. No doubt I won't be able to achieve this in the beginning, however the goal is continuous improvement with a real focus to meet that end.

When I moved here, I moved in with a couple of great people, who are focused on organic and mostly vegetarian lifestyles. I'm not quite sure I'm ready to go from cold turkey to no turkey yet, however as I continue to live here I have discovered that many of the foods I've eaten previously simply aren't enjoyable.

On a personal side, I'm about 155, 5'8", and never been incredibly muscular in my life. I can run a bit, but I'd really like to focus on getting into fantastic shape. The current body fat is about 19%, which I'd like to get down to 10%. Not competition level by any means, but a goal I've had (and slowly worked towards) over the past year.

I really dislike gyms, simply because they aren't conductive to my energy. I'd much rather be out running through the pines up a steep hill than on a tread mill. Of course the lack of instruction and availability has continued to result in my generally squishy physique.

So friends and suggestions are always welcomed, I hope to meet many of you on here and support you on your goals as well!

Michael

Welcome!

Right now I agree with you about gyms...I live where it's cold and all winter I was cooped up indoors in a gym. Now I'm itching to get outside and enjoy the nice weather while it lasts. However I've been trying to find the motivation to get back to the gym and lift weights a couple times a week...not very successful so far.

Good luck meeting your goals!

Thank you all for the responses!

@Robert I was hoping to catch you and Whitney while in Seattle, to provide a few samples for a review. No worries, some other time I'm sure!

@Lyric I moved up here Jan. 14th, and since I'm doing this business the old fashioned way (no investors, shoe string budget) progress is going a bit slow, but the product development has been quite an experience. I think my house mates are tired of me handing them cups and telling them 'drink this'. I hope you move here soon, the forest is really starting to come alive.

By the way, do you know if there are any soy milk processing plants in Alaska? I can't imagine that it's a humongous market, however I cringe at thinking of the environmental impact for current producers who are shipping water up there instead of products. The key of West Ridge Organics is a completely oil free supply chain, and smaller scale production near consumption points is one portion of the business model box>

Anyways, I'm thrilled to learn about how to reach my goals, and am thankful I found this site!

@Lyric I moved up here Jan. 14th, and since I'm doing this business the old fashioned way (no investors, shoe string budget) progress is going a bit slow, but the product development has been quite an experience. I think my house mates are tired of me handing them cups and telling them 'drink this'. I hope you move here soon, the forest is really starting to come alive.

By the way, do you know if there are any soy milk processing plants in Alaska? I can't imagine that it's a humongous market, however I cringe at thinking of the environmental impact for current producers who are shipping water up there instead of products. The key of West Ridge Organics is a completely oil free supply chain, and smaller scale production near consumption points is one portion of the business model box>

Anyways, I'm thrilled to learn about how to reach my goals, and am thankful I found this site!

Nope, It's hard enough getting good produce, forget about local plant milks. I make my own almond milk to make up for it, and it's so good I dunno if I could go back to buying it anyway. Omni friends use it as a Holiday drink because of the hint of nutmeg in it.

Keep me posted about your business! I have another reason to move now, local sustainable vegan goodies.

What kinds of products do you have/creating right now?

I didn't necessarily mean locally produced from local grown soybeans, however since they are dried when first shipped, I was curious if the "milking" of the beans occurred up there at all.

Whatcom county is fantastic for locally product foods, and the farmer's market is great exposure for those farms not already being featured in the local co-ops.

Currently I have organic soymilk nearing production stages, and recently I've been putting the finishing touches on a line of vegan instant cocoa powders. There are a few powders out there which are vegan, however the instructions say to add milk (dairy or soy) which is not quite practical when you go camping. My instant cocoa has the creaminess you'd expect with a milk drink, but created with boiling water. It does have about 8 grams of soy protein in it, however.. So it's a great drink to get you up and moving on the first hike of the day.

I didn't necessarily mean locally produced from local grown soybeans, however since they are dried when first shipped, I was curious if the "milking" of the beans occurred up there at all.

Whatcom county is fantastic for locally product foods, and the farmer's market is great exposure for those farms not already being featured in the local co-ops.

Currently I have organic soymilk nearing production stages, and recently I've been putting the finishing touches on a line of vegan instant cocoa powders. There are a few powders out there which are vegan, however the instructions say to add milk (dairy or soy) which is not quite practical when you go camping. My instant cocoa has the creaminess you'd expect with a milk drink, but created with boiling water. It does have about 8 grams of soy protein in it, however.. So it's a great drink to get you up and moving on the first hike of the day.

That cocoa powder sounds awesome, and nah, no milking occurs up here at all either. There aren't enough veg*ns to warrant it.

Are you going to try for any smoothies, or juices or anything like that?

(let me know I'm being a nag, you could've avoided it if you hadn't mentioned Bellingham )

Your not a nag at all, it's great that I can generate a bit more interest in this endeavor.

Fruit juices and smoothies would be best done if it was a juice bar (which more than a few of those have failed here in B'ham). I am trying to combine efficient supply chain and operations management with the sustainable products, so I'm limiting myself at first.

Do you have a local health store that you patron frequently? If it's a smaller independent store (vs. a larger chain) I'd be happy to send a few samples up north of the powder, and see how it goes. You can PM me for more details.