Hello there from a recent vegetarian to vegan in DC

cmurphy04722

I've had migraines since I was a child and while doing one of my elimination diets in high school, I went vegan for 3 months to see if animal protein was a trigger for my migraines. I felt amazing, but when college started I brought dairy and eggs back into my diet. In the last year I've also brought fish 1-3xmonth also.

I started seeing a new neurologist recently after a bad reaction to one of my prescriptions and he asked about my diet. He was surprisingly very open and knowledgeable about the vegetarian diet. When I told him that I had felt amazing on a vegan diet, he asked why I hadn't tried giving up casein again now that I've been out of college for awhile and cook my own meals. I had no answer other than cheese was a comfort food.

So it's been 4 days since I've eaten dairy, eggs, or fish and it's been over 4 years since I've had meat.

I'm looking for some support as I continue to increase my fitness level. I had gained a lot of weight in college and the 3 months of unemployment following graduation, but I am down 20 pounds from that and hope to lose another 20 while toning my body. After getting down to a better weight, I aim to continue softball (pitcher all through high school and college), start boxing, and be able to join my boyfriend and his parkour friends. I want to be a rock

I'm open to advice and tips from anyone and everyone!

Hi, and welcome.

1) super stoked to hear you are again trying veganism..

2) caesin and all dairy is evil!

3) whats your current workout program look like? How often and what do you focus on...

4) whats your daily diet looking like?

For current diet, I'll give a rundown of what I ate today:

Breakfast: organic rolled oats, unsweetened soy milk, cinnamon, a few raisins

Snack: Almonds, peanuts, and dried strawberries

Lunch: Spinach, yellow peppers, grape tomatoes, black beans, and mango vinaigrette

Snack: Cauliflower and red pepper hummus

After work snack: oven baked sweet potato "fries"-with olive oil and cayenne pepper

Dinner: Sweet potato and red pepper quinoa salad

And I might have some watermelon later this evening.

For my workouts, I work out 6 days a week, generally. I do cardio 5-6 times, circuit training 2-4, and weight lifting 2-3. I basically have 1-2 hours every night after work or late night, and then on Saturdays I go hiking/rock climbing with my boyfriend.

For cardio, elliptical or row machine usually, but sometimes the bike or the treadmill now that I have Vibram Five Fingers and running feels more natural to my flat feet. For circuit training, I have workout DVDs or do circuits in the gym with walk-out pushups, abs, and squats with arm work outs.

I'm female, 23, 5'4", and about 157lbs. I have a curvy figure and feel I am at my healthiest weight around 135-140. At my largest this summer/fall, I was at 174. Not fun.

I used to have protein shakes after my workouts and ate eggs semi-frequently for protein. I have new thoughts toward protein now that I've researched more, but I would love to hear more from the pros on here

Hi cmurphy04722

There is an amazing amount of vegan support in the DC Metro area:

VEG-DC: Vegan Resources Washington D.C. Metropolitan Area

There is a great list, over 10 years old, for vegans and vegetarians in the area to network about what is local,cool, and veg*n. This list is unaffiliated

with vegdc.com

https://waste.org/mailman/listinfo/veg-dc

Compassion Over Killing

COK puts a great veg*n restuarant and veg*n resource guide for the DC Metro area:

http://www.vegdc.com/

COK also organizes a lot of volunteer activities to promote veganism that are a great way to have fun and meet area vegans:

http://www.cok.net

The Vegetarian Society Of The District Of Columbia has some nice non-political events some times:

http://www.vsdc.org

They advertise many of their events through this meetup.com group:

http://vegan.meetup.com/28/

Poplar Springs Animal Sanctuary

Local animal sanctuary that takes volunteers to help care for the rescued former livestock animals. Horses, cows, pigs, chickens, turkeys, goats etc. It is a quick drive but in a nice, quiet rural area. They do a few events a year

http://www.animalsanctuary.org/

Humane Leauge Of Baltimore

also does cool stuff and is run by high energy, positive, grass roots people:

http://www.baltimoreanimalrights.com/

Glut is a 100% vegetarian workers collective / natural food store:

http://www.glut.org

As far as sound nutrition information goes, take anything you see on the internet with salt. Many people who don't know what they are talking about play mavens. Check the credentials of any information they give you.

Here is a SHORT article about some of the more solidly researched vegan nutrition information you can get, some of it free:

http://beforewisdom.com/blog/?page_id=462

Diet looks great..Love the diversity and yet simplicity! Wish I had this kinda time Im licky if I get to eat anything besides whe veggies and fruit or nuts!!! Any idea what your caloric intake is?

Sounds like your workout schedule is pretty dedicated. What level of intesnsity and for how long would you plan in doing the cardio? Have you ever considered taking a class to shake things up or working at least thru an assesment with a trainer?

Protein ahhh protein.. Okay heres my thoughts... My body can make its own, Ive monitored my bloodwork and NEVER been out of normal rangesbut when I try to do the fitness competition thing (which is so not my style but I do it because its a challenge for me...) or I do killer workouts with heavy emphasis on stregth training I try to throw some protein into my knext meal or if its super well planned Ill do some before or after... DoI need it? I dont know, Ive been mostly raw for a while now, and if I could financially find it feasible Id probably be a fruitarian... Does protein help me? I dont know.. Ive lived offa shakes, and Ive gone a week or so without taking hardly any in... So mmm I guess it depends on your goals and tastebuds...

Alyx "Miss Luck" Hess,

Cooper Certified Personal Trainer,Certifies Pilates and Yoga Instructor,

Mixed Martial Arts Gym Owner and assistant Jui Jitsu Instructor, and Kickboxing Instructor

Marathon Finisher

For current diet, I'll give a rundown of what I ate today:

Breakfast: organic rolled oats, unsweetened soy milk, cinnamon, a few raisins

Snack: Almonds, peanuts, and dried strawberries

Lunch: Spinach, yellow peppers, grape tomatoes, black beans, and mango vinaigrette

Snack: Cauliflower and red pepper hummus

After work snack: oven baked sweet potato "fries"-with olive oil and cayenne pepper

Dinner: Sweet potato and red pepper quinoa salad

And I might have some watermelon later this evening.

For my workouts, I work out 6 days a week, generally. I do cardio 5-6 times, circuit training 2-4, and weight lifting 2-3. I basically have 1-2 hours every night after work or late night, and then on Saturdays I go hiking/rock climbing with my boyfriend.

For cardio, elliptical or row machine usually, but sometimes the bike or the treadmill now that I have Vibram Five Fingers and running feels more natural to my flat feet. For circuit training, I have workout DVDs or do circuits in the gym with walk-out pushups, abs, and squats with arm work outs.

I'm female, 23, 5'4", and about 157lbs. I have a curvy figure and feel I am at my healthiest weight around 135-140. At my largest this summer/fall, I was at 174. Not fun.

I used to have protein shakes after my workouts and ate eggs semi-frequently for protein. I have new thoughts toward protein now that I've researched more, but I would love to hear more from the pros on here

You are all so amazing, thanks for all the links! I think I'll go to the vegan bake sale tomorrow in Takoma Park, maybe pick up some recipes while I'm there.

Aluck, yes I want to start taking classes more to put variety in my workouts, but I'm waiting until June or July to put that kind of money forward. I want to prove to myself that I can truly stay dedicated to my fitness by getting up for the gym or skipping happy hour to get a run in before dinner. I think I'll stop being stingy with the moneys in another month or two. There is a parkour gym in DC and I know a lot of the people who are trainers there for either parkour or crossfit so it'd be a natural start for me.

And cardio usually lasts for 30-90 minutes. Half an hour is my minimum and sometimes that's all I have time for, but I like to go for about an hour.

Looks like I have a lot of researching ahead of me and I find that exciting! Thank you all for the support, I look forward to becoming more active on this site and bettering my health.