My New Blog!/Goin' to Jail (LOL!)

janthraxx

Hey everyone, I know I haven't posted on here in forever; a lot of you probably don't even remember me. I haven't been around because I became seriously disabled with a worsening severe chronic pain syndrome, and have been unable to perform much of any real exercise or gym work. Mainly it's been just stretches. And like watching tennis on TV, coming here just seemed to depress me because it made me think about how much I used to be able to do.

Anyway, enough of the lame sob story. I just wanted to come on here and let ya'll know a couple things, reach out to one of my communities for support. First, I've started a new political blog that I'd love everyone to check out, read, and make comments on. It's called The Rewild West, at http://therewildwest.wordpress.com.

Secondly, I've gotten into some serious legal trouble recently, stemming from my disability and hence INabillity to work, being denied disability twice (even though my doctors and anyone who spends 10 minutes with me all believe I'm disabled), and being in absolute financial desperation. I could be leaving my fiance and my new shelter dog Rikki, who absolutely adores me and is so very attached, for a 7 year plea deal (reduced to 3.5 years for good behavior), next month. (For some perspective, the child molester with whom I shared a cell for 4 days piddled a 2 and 3 year old--infants--and spent 2 years in jail). This is all absolutely devastating to us, and we need ALL the support, in whatever way(s) you can provide it, we can possibly get.

My support site is http://SupportJan.com/, and the facebook group my fiance started for it is (deep breath) http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=107240949310063&v=app_2373072738#!/group.php?gid=107240949310063&v=wall . I would really appreciate everyone who reads this to take a look at the first or both, and join the FB group if you're on there. Thank you so so much!

<3 Jan

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is a disabled medical marijuana patient charged with transporting a large amount of cannabis with the intent to sell

"transporting a large amount of cannabis" ... I fail to feel sorry for you... seems to me you're the author of your own demise.

He is a disabled medical marijuana patient charged with transporting a large amount of cannabis with the intent to sell

"transporting a large amount of cannabis" ... I fail to feel sorry for you... seems to me you're the author of your own demise.

First off, perhaps you should ponder on whether legality unequivocally equates with morality. Should a plant be illegal? A plant that helps tens of thousands of people (maybe a lot more) feel better from serious illnesses when they've tried everything else, and nothing else works? A plant that helps thousands of people take fewer pharmaceuticals, and sometimes helps them stop completely?

Perhaps you should also ponder whether or not the "justice" system is truly just. Remember, until just a few decades ago blacks couldn't vote. Fewer than 100 years ago women couldn't vote. Right now it is perfectly legal to torture animals to death in laboratories. Not lookin' so good on the "law is always good and just" front. Geronimo Pratt, a Black Panther, spent 25 years in jail for two murders that he did not commit, and was eventually released after the undercover informants admitted they lied about his having been there. Mumia Abu-Jamal is on death row in Pennsylvania, and has been in jail for over 30 years for a murder he likely did not commit. Leonard Peltier of the American Indian Movement got two life sentences for the killing of two FBI agents that not even his PROSECUTOR can say for sure that he actually did.

Maybe you should do some more research and thinking before you so quickly pass judgment on a fellow vegan and compassionate human being. You have no idea what my circumstances were. The world is not black and white. Justice is not blind. If you believe, as it seems, in being a slave to the laws created by rich white men (often at the behest of multinational corporations), it seems you would care that the cop broke the law twice in huge ways in order to even get me.

http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000881

what state do you live in? Could you move to one of these states?

Do you live in a state that doesnt belong to this list and you did it anyway?

I think I see what you're getting at. I think if you read my support site you would understand a little better. But have you ever been disabled, with a condition so painful and severe that you can't even THINK when you're in the throes of it (which is quite often)? Have you ever been disabled, unable to work, with literally $0.00 to your name? Until you have, please refrain from passing judgment. Thanks.

Thank you Rob and Barb for the kind words, it means a ton to me.

Barb, my best friend and my fiance will take care of my dog and our 7 rats if I do end up going down. So sweet of you for wondering that! I just can't imagine missing 1/4th of my dog's life. She is my animal soul mate, the light of my life.

Hey Jan, you know you're my homeboy....always great seeing you either at my house or your house or at an event somewhere in the country.

I hope all goes well. Will be hoping for great things for you. I imagine being separated from loved ones unwillingly must be a very challenging and daunting thought. I hope you don't have to do that. Your doggie is great! I enjoyed meeting her on a number of occasions.

First off, perhaps you should ponder on whether legality unequivocally equates with morality. Should a plant be illegal? A plant that helps tens of thousands of people (maybe a lot more) feel better from serious illnesses when they've tried everything else, and nothing else works? A plant that helps thousands of people take fewer pharmaceuticals, and sometimes helps them stop completely?

Perhaps you should also ponder whether or not the "justice" system is truly just. Remember, until just a few decades ago blacks couldn't vote. Fewer than 100 years ago women couldn't vote. Right now it is perfectly legal to torture animals to death in laboratories. Not lookin' so good on the "law is always good and just" front. Geronimo Pratt, a Black Panther, spent 25 years in jail for two murders that he did not commit, and was eventually released after the undercover informants admitted they lied about his having been there. Mumia Abu-Jamal is on death row in Pennsylvania, and has been in jail for over 30 years for a murder he likely did not commit. Leonard Peltier of the American Indian Movement got two life sentences for the killing of two FBI agents that not even his PROSECUTOR can say for sure that he actually did.

Maybe you should do some more research and thinking before you so quickly pass judgment on a fellow vegan and compassionate human being. You have no idea what my circumstances were. The world is not black and white. Justice is not blind. If you believe, as it seems, in being a slave to the laws created by rich white men (often at the behest of multinational corporations), it seems you would care that the cop broke the law twice in huge ways in order to even get me.

I don't know you - I only read your post / blog. You're comparing your situation to human rights (voting), animal torture and one wrongly convicted individual (Pratt); I won't go into Abu-Jamal nor Peltier, but I do fail to see how you are comparing your situation with theirs - incidentally, What was the quantity you were caught with?

As I said, it IS a human rights issue. My civil rights were violated in the illegal traffic stop and illegal search and seizure (really strange how you're focusing on my duty to adhere blindly to the law, but don't seem to care a wit that the cops and courts broke far more serious laws). Not only that, it was medicine going to HELP SICK PEOPLE (I can't really discuss any more specifics than I already have here and on the support site). I didn't care that it was illegal, I only cared that it was going to help people--and animals. I've seen medical marijuana drastically reduce or even eliminate the need for pharmaceuticals, which obviously works toward an end of animal torture.

Thank you Robert for the kind words!

Well I wish you well, but it's interesting how when you know you were breaking the law, you cry foul on the officials for catching, you breaking the law. 40 years ago the law wasn't so lenient and you would have been an old man before you got out. Times are changing but not fast enough for you. We have choices in life that come with consequences, and there is no getting around that. There are still a lot of people and parents who are against the use of pot in America, and it's probably a majority, and so the law stands. You entered into your adventure with criminal intent, so face the future knowing the truth. Best of luck, I'm rooting for justice, and only you know what that is.

Well I wish you well, but it's interesting how when you know you were breaking the law, you cry foul on the officials for catching, you breaking the law. 40 years ago the law wasn't so lenient and you would have been an old man before you got out. Times are changing but not fast enough for you. We have choices in life that come with consequences, and there is no getting around that. There are still a lot of people and parents who are against the use of pot in America, and it's probably a majority, and so the law stands. You entered into your adventure with criminal intent, so face the future knowing the truth. Best of luck, I'm rooting for justice, and only you know what that is.

Well said - and I reiterate my original stance - the OP is the author of his own demise and laying blame on a bogus traffic stop... sorry pal, they caught you with enough to charge you with trafficking - wasn't bogus, I call it a job well done to get more drugs off our streets.

Seriously idiotic. It's a plant, don't lump it in with all DRUGS. It helps people with serious medical conditions (like myself), and it helps animals by getting people to take less or no pharmaceuticals. I find it offensive and insulting that you would look down on me for trying to help people and animals with MEDICINE. I also find it nauseating and scary that you're such a slave to the system. You're okay with the filth (aka cops) breaking constitutionally protected laws, but not okay with citizens breaking unjust, unconstitutional laws? You'll be an apologist for some of the most brutal, ing, oppressive people in the country, and at the same time bash a desperate disabled person who was just trying to do whatever he could to get by in a corrupt, inhumane system, using a PLANT that was going to help people? Wow. I can feel your brain waves pulsing from all the hard work from all the way over here!! Are you a cop, or have a crush on one? It makes no sense whatsoever otherwise.

janthraxx, it's clear you have strong opinions regarding the police, and marijuana. You are angry that some would support the police for violating certain laws, but feel you're right in breaking other laws because you view them as unjust or unconstitutional. I'm not trying to side with anyone here, but you have your opinions of certain laws and they have theirs.

Regarding the search, I don't know the details of what happened, but I do know that there is wiggle room in certain situations, for example if they smelled weed when you rolled down the window, which gives them just cause for a search. I don't know if that's what happened or how it went down, but if the search was truly illegal, your lawyer shouldn't have any issues getting you out of it.

I don't understand the "it's a plant, not a drug" philosophy. Ricin is from a plant. So is opium. One is a deadly poison and the other is a narcotic. Cannabis has over 30 psychoactive compounds in it, so despite being a plant, it's still a drug (technically, a combination of many drugs).

And right now, medicinal marijuana's legality varies geographically. You got involved with medicinal marijuana in a place where it was illegal. Getting busted must have been part of the risk-benefit argument you had with yourself, and this outcome was part of that risk. Despite living in a country where medicinal marijuana is legal, and being interested in chronic pain management, I have to oppose the idea of groups of people self-medicating with marijuana and proclaiming it as medicine. Yes, it has benefits for certain conditions. But the difference between a patient and a doctor deciding that marijuana is the right medicine is similar to things like oxycontin - one has the legal right to proclaim it as the right treatment and prescribe it, the other doesn't. Even in my country where it's legal, it's only legal if a doctor says it's the right treatment. Otherwise, it's just being used to chemically cope, as people can do with any other drug or alcohol.

Sorry to hear about your situation. Definitely one of the cases where ethics and the law don't quite match up. Hang in there.

Based on what? Where is there even a shred of evidence that addresses ethics and the law?

He has not disclosed how much he was caught with yet screams bloody murder and that he was HELPING fellow man and animals. You don't look at serious jail time for a misdemeanor - like the OP says he's getting. The OP is responsible for his actions. Period.

To the OP:

If you end up going to jail for your actions, don't complain about leaving your fiance and dog because you're going to jail - you KNEW what you were doing, you KNEW that you had responsibilities to your family yet CHOSE to break the law.

You can dress it up however you want - the moral of your story is that you were dealing drugs (regardless of your intentions - you knew the law and the consequences of your actions) and were caught. Perhaps it's time you stood up and take responsibility for your actions rather than trying to find a legal loophole to get out of it.

Triple H (can I really expect much mental acuity from a guy named after a friggin WWF wrestler? apparently not), spend one week in my shoes, with my knees and back, having all your doctors say you're disabled but getting denied TWICE, being utterly broke and barely scraping by for two years, then I'd like to hear what tune you're singing. Until then, please stop posting in here. I don't want your input, I don't need your input, the world doesn't need your brain. No means no. This is supposed to be a support thread, instead I get attacked and have to defend my actions, which to anyone with half a brain and/or a quarter of a heart would be completely unnecessary. Thank EARTH there are 50 kind-hearted people with critical thinking skills who have sent me a tremendous amount of love and support for every 1 of you. Is there an ignore button on here?

Straight up, if Triple H (I have to stop myself from giggling every time I type out his name, seriously) were alive in the 50s and 60s he'd be tellin them "niggers" to stop complaining about their just desserts. That's what blind slavery to laws of a stolen land that is murdering innocent people the world over and putting them in jail for outrageous lengths of time for NONVIOLENT offenses, while letting RAPISTS walk with less time, does to you.

In case you're still on the fence, the CHILD MOLESTER I shared a cell with, who piddled a 2 and 3 year old, spent 2 years in jail. My PLEA DEAL is 7 years, meaning 3.5 for good behavior. Still think the "justice" system is just?

Perhaps I'm a little more empathetic because I know Jan. He's stayed at my house in Portland, given me a place to stay when I traveled to San Francisco and we've been friends for years.

I also can't imagine being separated from my loved ones and can't imagine spending time in jail and for those reasons alone, I am empathetic and saddened by this situation and the upcoming outcome for Jan.

I also see the act that is be assessed as something far less severe or offensive than other acts. I believe Jan was legitimately trying to help others, even if it was outside the realms of "law."

Jan, I feel for you man. You've been a great friend to me and supporter of me over the years. Even with book sales I don't have any money at all, in fact massive debt as a result of the book and other projects, but I will write you and I will do my best to share inspiring messages with you. That's what friends are for.

All the best, my friend.

Robert

Thanks Robert, that means a helluva lot to me. I've heard that letters can be a best friend in jail. I think you're a member of the facebook support group Rebecca started? Once we know my address, she'll post it on there and probably send out a mass email; I would love to hear from you!

love and rage,

<3 Jan

Triple H (can I really expect much mental acuity from a guy named after a friggin WWF wrestler? apparently not), spend one week in my shoes, with my knees and back, having all your doctors say you're disabled but getting denied TWICE, being utterly broke and barely scraping by for two years, then I'd like to hear what tune you're singing. Until then, please stop posting in here. I don't want your input, I don't need your input, the world doesn't need your brain. No means no. This is supposed to be a support thread, instead I get attacked and have to defend my actions, which to anyone with half a brain and/or a quarter of a heart would be completely unnecessary. Thank EARTH there are 50 kind-hearted people with critical thinking skills who have sent me a tremendous amount of love and support for every 1 of you. Is there an ignore button on here?

I believe that resorting to attacking another's intellect is a last resort - when you're out of options, such as valid arguments to support your situation - I won't stoop down to your level.

Secondly, this is an open forum and I, like you, have the right to free speech - regardless of which side of the discussion I am on.