My New Blog!/Goin' to Jail (LOL!)

janthraxx

Straight up, if Triple H (I have to stop myself from giggling every time I type out his name, seriously) were alive in the 50s and 60s he'd be tellin them "niggers" to stop complaining about their just desserts. That's what blind slavery to laws of a stolen land that is murdering innocent people the world over and putting them in jail for outrageous lengths of time for NONVIOLENT offenses, while letting RAPISTS walk with less time, does to you.

In case you're still on the fence, the CHILD MOLESTER I shared a cell with, who piddled a 2 and 3 year old, spent 2 years in jail. My PLEA DEAL is 7 years, meaning 3.5 for good behavior. Still think the "justice" system is just?

There is no need in addressing the first paragraph - rather, see my previous post.

I absolutely agree that the justice system does not hand out appropriate sentences in too many cases - particularly when it comes to child molesters / rapists and the like. I will give you my thoughts about your sentence when you tell us how much dope you had in your vehicle (it helps in validating your argument, or conversely, invalidating it) - and afaik a plea deal means that you plead guilty rather than have the judge hand down a sentence..which, in all likelihood, would have been harsher.

I agree with Robert whereas I feel sorry for your family and what they have to endure... the families always bear the brunt and are punished by having someone close taken away, though that could be avoided simply by not resorting to illegal means.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on what? Where is there even a shred of evidence that addresses ethics and the law?
I don't think there's anything wrong with adults choosing to use marijuana. I have no interest in it myself, but I also don't see the point in spending any resources investigating, prosecuting, and incarcerating over it. It doesn't seem any more harmful than tobacco or alcohol and those are legal. That's all I meant. I wasn't referring to the supposed illegal search, etc.

Based on what? Where is there even a shred of evidence that addresses ethics and the law?
I don't think there's anything wrong with adults choosing to use marijuana. I have no interest in it myself, but I also don't see the point in spending any resources investigating, prosecuting, and incarcerating over it. It doesn't seem any more harmful than tobacco or alcohol and those are legal. That's all I meant. I wasn't referring to the supposed illegal search, etc.

I tend to agree with you within reason - a lot of resources a vested into this, and Canada has gone into giving licenses to approved growers to provide medical marijuana - afaik, legalize it and tax it - however that doesn't reflect the way the law sees it... but taking things into your own hands, as the OP did, you have to be prepared for the consequences - regardless of his intentions.

i WAS prepared for the consequence--I was just stupid to think the consequences would be REASONABLE, as these are clearly NOT (see, for example, the child rapist's sentence vs. mine). I guess I was also stupid to assume that the filth (not pigs) would actually follow the laws, and the judge(s) would uphold them, which I THOUGHT would protect me from illegal traffic stops and illegal search and seizures. See, my lawbreaking was going to HELP sick people (directly) and tortured animals (indirectly). THEIR lawbreaking, on the other hand, is doing NOTHING but hurting people and animals (our many rescued ones)--directly. That SHOULD mean something to anybody with a conscience or a half a brain.

I sent this out to the LA Animal Rights yahoo listserv, where I developed a lot of friends and allies when I lived down there and was highly active, before my disability got so bad I had to be mainly on the sidelines. It has a lot of important information, and time is of the essence, so I'm just gonna copy and paste it here:

Hi, me and all our rescued animals and fiance and the rest of my family are still in dire need of help. I'm going to jail in fewer than two weeks in Illinois, that is for sure. The question is for how long. (FYI, this is all predicated on a traffic stop for a violation I absolutely did not commit, and a textbook illegal search and seizure. But the cop fabricated every. little. detail. in his police report, and lied through his lying teeth with his lying mouth and his lying vocal cords on the stand; but of course, no surprise, the judge gobbled his lies like so many chunks of putrid animal flesh). The plea "deal" they've been offering is SEVEN YEARS (reduced to 3.5 for good behavior, so generous!), with NO chance of reducing that by taking classes or anything. For some perspective, the convicted child molester with whom I shared a cell for four days, who piddled a 2 and 3 year old, spent two years in jail. The message is, they'd rather have infant molesters on the street and someone who was transporting medical marijuana in jail. "Justice" system indeed. I would be in a medium security facility with three other types of offenders: armed robbers, attempted murderers, and rapists. Violent (alleged) criminals, in other words. For a nonviolent, victimless offense.

However, there is a ray of light, however dim and obscured, on the horizon. If we can pay a significant addition to the $16,000 bail already paid (more perspective: the child molester's bail was $5,000), I might be able to get a plea deal of 4 years (reduced to 2 for good behavior), WITH the ability to take classes and reduce the sentence further, to 18 months or even less. Up to two or even more fewer years away from my fiance and our rescued dog, 2 cats, and 6 rats (we had 7, one just passed away today, RIP sweet darling Trenton), possibly two or more fewer years not surrounded by violent offenders, against whom I would not be able to defend myself given my physical condition...then again, if I get this deal, I would more likely than not go to a MINIMUM security facility, where I would actually be with OTHER nonviolent offenders.

I am a disabled medical marijuana patient. I have severe chronic pain, possibly arthritis or rheumatological-disease based, in my knees and spine; I've had 5 knee surgeries. On an average day I spend 13-14.5 out of 15 waking hours in bed. I would NOT be able to defend myself adequately if attacked by homocidals or rapists, and every day in there would be a miserable challenge of fighting through the pain and potential physical threats. Two years (or more) is a SIGNIFICANT reduction, and would be well worth the money. My dog Rikki is my puppy soul mate, and she whines and pines for me the few moments I'll be gone outside my cabin to empty my bladder. I can't even imagine how devastated she's gonna be to lose me for 1.5 years, let alone 3.5! I'm not a violent criminal deserving of that kind of sentence; I've seen firsthand countless times how medical marijuana can be a miracle for people with wretched conditions where NOTHING else helped (it certainly helps me immensely with a host of primary and secondary conditions related to my disability). Almost everybody I know and have talked to who have found medical MJ effective have reduced or even eliminated their use of animal-tested corporate pharmaceuticals, trading pills that are toxic to the environment (and hence wild animals) and our bodies for in this case organically grown plant medicine not tested on animals. I did this out of absolute financial desperation--being disabled for over two years, according to all my doctors and anybody who spends ten minutes with me, but being denied for disability TWICE because the system is underfunded (billions of dollars a day to kill people of color overseas, but comparative pennies for sick people who dseperately need help HERE!), corrupt, and based on a model of finding any reason possible to deny, rather than making a non-biased determination of whether or not the person actually needs aid. I also did it because I wanted to HELP suffering patients and HELP animals by reducing the reliance on Big Pharma. See where that compassionate mindset gets you?

The biggest problem right now is we're running into a wall of what my mom is willing and more importantly able to pay. I need all the monetary support I can get to take some pressure off her and make this deal possible. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help make this happen. I know it's a tremendous amount, but it would reap tremendous benefits--for me, for my fiance and the rest of my familiy and friends, and most importantly for the animals who love me and for whom I adore and help care for. Anything and everything helps. Money is obviously paramount, unfortunately, but emotional and psychological support helps immensely as well.

Please visit www.SupportJan.com to make paypal donations or for my P.O. Box address.

Check out my political blog website http://therewildwest.com/, where I have radical eco- and animal-literature for sale to help raise money.

If you're on Facebook, please join the group "Support Jan" my wonderful fiance Rebecca started, and invite your friends!

Thank you so much. Love and rage,

<3 Jan

I don't know if that's what happened or how it went down, but if the search was truly illegal, your lawyer shouldn't have any issues getting you out of it.

That's a dangerous outlook to have. Even my lawyer, who is quite moderate, admitted that RULE NUMBER ONE is that "Police officers ALWAYS lie. Just because a search was illegal, does not mean it will get thrown out of court. Do you really think justice is actually blind? I think Lady Justice is peeking under that blindfold, and seeing only what she wants to see. Especially in the corrupt armpit (not to disparage armpits) of Henry County, ILLinois. The cop lied about EVERY. SINGLE. LITTLE. DETAIL. in his police report, and the judge bought it all, or knew he was lying and didn't give a shit. The system is corrupt. To assume that even their skewed, inhumane version of justice will be served is ignoring countless historical examples, and aiding in the very corruption and injustice that compassionate people should be up in arms against.

That's a dangerous outlook to have. Even my lawyer, who is quite moderate, admitted that RULE NUMBER ONE is that "Police officers ALWAYS lie. Just because a search was illegal, does not mean it will get thrown out of court. Do you really think justice is actually blind? I think Lady Justice is peeking under that blindfold, and seeing only what she wants to see. Especially in the corrupt armpit (not to disparage armpits) of Henry County, ILLinois. The cop lied about EVERY. SINGLE. LITTLE. DETAIL. in his police report, and the judge bought it all, or knew he was lying and didn't give a shit. The system is corrupt. To assume that even their skewed, inhumane version of justice will be served is ignoring countless historical examples, and aiding in the very corruption and injustice that compassionate people should be up in arms against.

I can't speak for your experiences, but I get the impression that American police and Canadian police are very different in many ways. Our reputation for politeness seems to extend even to our cops. Proportionally speaking, I believe we put far fewer people in jail.

Perhaps I'm a little more empathetic because I know Jan. He's stayed at my house in Portland, given me a place to stay when I traveled to San Francisco and we've been friends for years.

I also can't imagine being separated from my loved ones and can't imagine spending time in jail and for those reasons alone, I am empathetic and saddened by this situation and the upcoming outcome for Jan.

I also see the act that is be assessed as something far less severe or offensive than other acts. I believe Jan was legitimately trying to help others, even if it was outside the realms of "law."

Jan, I feel for you man. You've been a great friend to me and supporter of me over the years. Even with book sales I don't have any money at all, in fact massive debt as a result of the book and other projects, but I will write you and I will do my best to share inspiring messages with you. That's what friends are for.

All the best, my friend.

Robert

Rob, I just read your post again because I'm feeling rather down and it nearly brought tears to my eyes. Means so much to me. Not to say that others in this thread who have been supportive don't mean a tremendous amount, but I know Rob personally and we've shared some good times (remember watching late 80s WWF while in San Fran with sweet little ratties crawling all over and cuddling with us? hehe), so it has a personal touch to it that makes it even more meaningful. I love you bro, and I just wanted to say again that as fellow writer, I'm super proud of you for self-publishing and working so hard to get it out there. I have a really tough time finding the energy and motivation to write due to my disability--that's just under normal life circumstances--so you can imagine what it's like for me now, with all of this hanging over my head. And yet your hard work inspires me to fight tooth and nail through my pain and resultant difficulty in maintaining focus, and write as much as possible. Thank you so much for that.

<3 Jan

I don't know if that's what happened or how it went down, but if the search was truly illegal, your lawyer shouldn't have any issues getting you out of it.

yes yes... the system is out to get you.. all police officers lie.. blah blah... an illegal search yet... miraculously there was enough dope in your car to get yourself thrown into jail and enter a guilty plea... or wait.. let me guess... you weren't actually driving the car...they also planted the dope in A car and then registered the car in your name and had a body-double driving it...

YOU GOT CAUGHT - now suck it up.

I can't speak for your experiences, but I get the impression that American police and Canadian police are very different in many ways. Our reputation for politeness seems to extend even to our cops. Proportionally speaking, I believe we put far fewer people in jail.

I hear ya. I still think ALL cops are agents of repression (to steal a line--or rather book title--from Ward Churchill), but some are certainly worse than others. America does indeed imprison far more; in fact, America is the #1 jailer in the WORLD, and that's NOT just per capita. We have the most people in jail, PERIOD. Even more than China, which has probably 4-5 times our population, and is known the world over for being a harsh communistic country that arrests people just for protesting animal cruelty, for example. That should tell you something about the "justice" system in Amerika.

yes yes... the system is out to get you.. all police officers lie.. blah blah... an illegal search yet... miraculously there was enough dope in your car to get yourself thrown into jail and enter a guilty plea... or wait.. let me guess... you weren't actually driving the car...they also planted the dope in A car and then registered the car in your name and had a body-double driving it...

What IN THE HELL are you talking about?? I never said ANYTHING of the sort. Most police officers DO lie though, that's fer sure. I'm guessing you've done absolutely no research on the matter, before or after this thread. You're making it clearer and clearer with every post that you know nothing about the injustices of the American (and in general) "justice" system. And that you're too lazy to expand your knowledge in the slightest. Here, I'll hold your hand and walk you through it. Google "Geronimo Pratt." Or google "Fred Hampton assassination." Or google "MOVE 9." Or google "COINTELPRO." Or google "Leonard Peltier." Or "Jeffrey Luers." Or "Eric McDavid entrapment." Or "Marie Mason." I could go on and on and on. But I'd probably be lucky to get you to research a single one of these. I named so many so maybe other people would look into this stuff and realize that we don't live in a democracy, the justice system is a d isgusting, racist, classist, corrupt joke, and that cops and judges and the government and corporations (as much as there's a difference) can break multiple laws with utter impunity and get away with not so much as a slap on the wrist, that there is NO accountability whatsoever for these scum.

Most of our cops are fine people who truly believe they are doing a good public service, though they can get a bit high on power. There are unfortunately some bad ones and there seems to be zero interest in cleaning them out.

The whole "you're either with us or against us" thing is pervasive in the US.

Oh, I forget to mention something fairly significant: America imprisons more blacks than apartheid South Africa. Think about that one. If you support the U.S. "justice" system in any way, you're standing up for a system that is monstrously racist and classist. Doesn't reflect back well on you.

Oh, I forget to mention something fairly significant: America imprisons more blacks than apartheid South Africa. Think about that one. If you support the U.S. "justice" system in any way, you're standing up for a system that is monstrously racist and classist. Doesn't reflect back well on you.
I don't see how this is significant. While I'm sure racism's still pervasive there as it is here the apartheid ended sixteen years ago, the ethnic makeup of those incarcerated isn't itself significant, and, oh, you're not black. But hey white guy going to jail, by your logic, thanks for making the system less racist.

Sorry...I support you over the whole marijuana thing, but now you're just being obnoxious.

I don't see how this is significant. While I'm sure racism's still pervasive there as it is here the apartheid ended sixteen years ago, the ethnic makeup of those incarcerated isn't itself significant, and, oh, you're not black. But hey white guy going to jail, by your logic, thanks for making the system less racist.

Sorry...I support you over the whole marijuana thing, but now you're just being obnoxious.

Um. If you don't see how it's significant, try thinking harder. Why are you being a jerk? OF COURSE the ethnic makeup of those incarcerated is significant. The "justice" system is targeted toward minorities and the poor (which are statistically often the same thing, the latter often being even more important). Think about it. If you have money you can afford to get better representation, and get off. Think OJ. But if you're poor you get shitty representation and you're much more likely to do hard time. It's very, very simple. And laws themselves (not to mention the priorities of law "enforcement" officers) are racist. For example, it takes 300 times as much coke as crack to get the SAME mandatory minimum. Coke is statistically a white drug, crack statistically a black drug. Boom, racially targeted.

So you really, truly think the race of inmates is not meaningful? It means nothing to you that blacks and other people of color are incarcerated at FAR GREATER RATES than their population should result it? That makes you either racist or ignorant. Possibly both. Ugh. Gross. And trying to educate people on the inherent racism of the U.S. justice system is "obnoxious?" That's pretty damn screwed up, and again, either racist or ignorant. Or both.

jan - the more you write, the more it becomes clear that life is teaching you a lesson - so far I get the impression that the lesson has been lost on you. You've certainly failed to convince me of anything other than that you're a bigot.

You're not trying to educate anyone about the inherent racism of the US justice system, you're just trying to point out every little fault in it as if that will somehow exonerate you.

My point about the racial makeup on those incarcerated being irrelevant is because it's significantly more complicated than that. Comparing to the general population assumes that every racial group commits crimes equally, which is ridiculous. Blacks don't commit crimes because they're black. Latinos don't commit crimes because they're Latino. Whites don't commit crimes because they're white. And so on. There might be a correlation between race, poverty, arrests, and conviction, but trying to boil it down to the system is unjust because "America imprisons more blacks than apartheid South Africa" is missing quite a bit.

I still don't see what it has to do with you getting caught transporting a shit-ton of illegal substance, regardless of whether or not I agree with it being illegal.

You still haven't answered how much you were transporting or why you think the search was illegal.

You're not trying to educate anyone about the inherent racism of the US justice system, you're just trying to point out every little fault in it as if that will somehow exonerate you.

My point about the racial makeup on those incarcerated being irrelevant is because it's significantly more complicated than that. Comparing to the general population assumes that every racial group commits crimes equally, which is ridiculous. Blacks don't commit crimes because they're black. Latinos don't commit crimes because they're Latino. Whites don't commit crimes because they're white. And so on. There might be a correlation between race, poverty, arrests, and conviction, but trying to boil it down to the system is unjust because "America imprisons more blacks than apartheid South Africa" is missing quite a bit.

I still don't see what it has to do with you getting caught transporting a shit-ton of illegal substance, regardless of whether or not I agree with it being illegal.

You still haven't answered how much you were transporting or why you think the search was illegal.

" title="Applause" />

I'm going to have to go with chrijs on this one. You can make a case for being victimized if something happened like the cop lied and you were charged for carrying a large amount when you really only had an eighth of an ounce on you. Just because you believe what you were doing wasn't wrong, doesn't make it legal. If you felt weed was helping you medicinally, the option was open to you to keep buying it in small amounts for personal use, and not getting involved in moving large quantities.

I think the "jerk" comments you've received have stemmed from the fact that you are playing the innocent victim. While you may feel many injustices were perpetrated on you, the fact remains that you were caught with a large amount of an illegal substance. You also throw wild ad hominem attacks at every person who disagrees with you, calling them idiotic or ignorant, which isn't likely to win them over.

Yes, what's happening to you sucks, but you haven't given us any reason to be convinced that you actually shouldn't be going to jail. You've also violently disparaged law enforcement officers who many of us have had positive experiences with. Even if the cop lied about how it went down (which you still haven't told us about), if he came out of the exchange with you in cuffs and a 2 kg bag of weed in the other, most members of the public would say he did his job well.

I've tried keeping my mouth closed, but can't do it any more. I'm a police officer and find a lot of your statements rather childish and reaching (trying to find something I guess to make it seem like your the victim). Not all cops lie. There are ones that do, they get caught and are either fired, suspended (investigated, then fired) asked to resign. A previous co-worker of mine was caught changing his schedueled time (saying he worked ten hours, when he only worked eight), my boss asked him many times if his times were correct and he kept saying yes. They investigated him, he then addmitted he lied and he was fired that day. I don't know if the officer involved in your case was truthfull or not. I hope he was and if not shame on him and his past will catch up to him eventually. The universe balances everything out.

If you have money you can afford to get better representation, and get off. Think OJ. But if you're poor you get shitty representation and you're much more likely to do hard time. It's very, very simple.

Now this one, at least in most large cities is complete BS. If a person is dirt poor (here I think its if you make less then $15,000), they get a public defender. A public defender goes to court EVERY day (its called "on the job experience"). They have a ton more experience then every paid attorney I have ever meet. The people that are craped on are the ones on the middle, the "Middle American". This group (that includes me, we cops don't make a lot) really can't afford a good lawyer, and we make too much to get a great public defender.

jan - the more you write, the more it becomes clear that life is teaching you a lesson - so far I get the impression that the lesson has been lost on you. You've certainly failed to convince me of anything other than that you're a bigot.

How the SHIT am I a bigot??? I'd be willing to bet vital organs that I've given more of my time and risked more of my freedom for any one minority than you for all combined.

I've revealed more on my support site than my lawyer would probably want me to. I don't THINK the search was illegal. It WAS. It was predicated on a traffic violation I did not commit. The cop had NO reasonable and articulable suspicion; his stated reason (on tape) for searching my vehicle was that "This is a heavily trafficked corridor." HARDLY legal grounds to search someone's vehicle--if there were the case, they could stop and search ANYONE with western plates--oh wait, that's exactly what they do (and RIGHT before the drug dog got there, the sound conveniently disappeared from the tape).

I've tried keeping my mouth closed, but can't do it any more. I'm a police officer and find a lot of your statements rather childish and reaching (trying to find something I guess to make it seem like your the victim). Not all cops lie. There are ones that do, they get caught and are either fired, suspended (investigated, then fired) asked to resign. A previous co-worker of mine was caught changing his schedueled time (saying he worked ten hours, when he only worked eight), my boss asked him many times if his times were correct and he kept saying yes. They investigated him, he then addmitted he lied and he was fired that day. I don't know if the officer involved in your case was truthfull or not. I hope he was and if not shame on him and his past will catch up to him eventually. The universe balances everything out.

Right, I'm gonna trust a cop to accurately show why cops are not agents of repression. As Upton Sinclair said, "It is difficult for a man [sic] to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it."

I've provided example after example after example of how cops have lied, repressed, suppressed evidence, and on and on and on.

The universe balances everything out? How exactly does it do that? Sounds like some pretty hippie-dippie magical thinking for a copper.