MEDMAN: Question: Calcium Pills And Vinegar

I have to get a pill crushers, first to use up what I have. Amazingly just about every drugstore near me seems to be sold out. I guess I will buy one through amazon.

After that I think I will go for calcium citrate powder or possibly one of those liquid supplements.

What don't you go ahead and do that? Let us know how you like the results .

Since I started reading this I started chewing these.

http://i40.tinypic.com/vhgdhs.jpg

No problem, really no taste. Think it's got to be easier than licking a pill crusher clean.

*hoping reader is laughing*

• 3 weeks later...

Glad he mentions how calcium carbonate is not absorbed well unless taken with food, or if the acidity in the stomach is reduced due to taking antacids (like TUMS, which is why it should NEVER be used as a calcium supplement). I REALLY advise against taking a calcium supplement unless it is not a carbonate form, it IS combined with magnesium, Vitamin D, and perhaps phosphorus/zinc, and NOT in huge amounts like 1000mg at a time. Otherwise, it's gonna go through you, not get used, and end up in your kidneys where minerals like that get turned into kidney stones. not fun.

Glad he mentions how calcium carbonate is not absorbed well unless taken with food, or if the acidity in the stomach is reduced due to taking antacids (like TUMS, which is why it should NEVER be used as a calcium supplement). I REALLY advise against taking a calcium supplement unless it is not a carbonate form, it IS combined with magnesium, Vitamin D, and perhaps phosphorus/zinc, and NOT in huge amounts like 1000mg at a time. Otherwise, it's gonna go through you, not get used, and end up in your kidneys where minerals like that get turned into kidney stones. not fun.

When talking about decreased stomach acidity, they're not talking about things like TUMS in isolation. They're talking about PPIs and H2 antagonists, medications that greatly decrease the amount of stomach acid you produce (by 70-90%). The acid is necessary for dissolving things like calcium carbonate. When someone takes TUMS (and isn't on PPIs or H2As), their stomach is highly acidic and the conditions for absorbing it exist.