Do you still like meat?

Attila

Hi there,

I was wondering if there are any vegans out there who still kind of "like" meat? I grew up with tasty meat meals and sometimes I would really like to eat something, just because it reminds me of my childhood etcetera. When I first became a vegetarian and later a vegan I thought that meat is just gross so I really understand that many of us just don't like meat at all!

I still get a slight craving for it but only chicken. it's more the texture than anything else. But that is quickly extinguished when I think about the pain and suffering caused for the frozen flesh so brightly packaged....

Oh christ, I'm experiencing severe guilt again

Uhh.....thanks Attila.....

When I went vegetarian, it was my first year of college. When I went home for break, I told my stepmother that I wasn't eating meat. She prepared porkchops, and said "it won't kill you." I responded "but they killed the pig" and I've never eaten meat since (knowingly, perhaps something funky in a dish I had in Spain once that I couldn't identify!).

Those first few visits home were tough, though, because my stepmother kept making meats I used to love: Polish sausage (I think it's kielbasa, but we never called it that), thin and crispy porkchops, baked chicken.

I avoided meat analogs for a long time, because I didn't want the reminder of meat (except for some "soysage" that gave me amazingly powerful gas! and which I avoided after that!).

Meat pretty much repulses me, now, and has for a long time. I don't see it as "food" at all.

But every once in a while, I'll have an odd emotional craving for some food from my childhood (like tater tot hotdish---I grew up in Minnesota!) and I'll make something similar to it with meat analogs.

I still get a slight craving for it but only chicken. it's more the texture than anything else. But that is quickly extinguished when I think about the pain and suffering caused for the frozen flesh so brightly packaged....

I sometimes think about the texture/taste of poultry (chicken, turkey), but any desire for it passes pretty quickly when I "put it on the animal" and don't consider it as a separate thing.

i had cravings for like the first 6 months. but, like Phoenix said, once i thought about what it meant, not just the suffering but what they feed the animals and how they raise them (hormones etc.) easily repulsed that craving into oblivion.

Been so long since I had it, i don't know if I would even like it now, no intention of eating it. But I remember I did like it a lot at the time, and I eat a lot of substitutes sometimes. I don't crave for the real thing, but probably would still like the taste I guess. Would totally make me sick physically and mentally to do it.

No. But there are great analogs out there. There is seitan, tofu, tempeh; faux chilis, ground "beefs," "chickens," "turkeys," "duck," etc., practically anything you want is being made vegan. And you can even make your own faux "meats" at home.

What do you all think of the lab-grown meat? Would you consider it?

I'm so far removed from meat, I wouldn't. I don't crave it at all anymore; not even the analogs!

I don't like meat, and never really liked it. The flavour is allright, but I get creeped out by the texture. My parents always made me eat it, or elso no desert. When I came to know that it was made of dead animals I liked it even less, but still had to eat it because I would get sick if I didn't(according to my parents). So I ate verry little, and my mother told me I had to little iron in my blood and stuff like that. So then my whole family did some sort of fittnes test, and I was healthiest and even had the most iron in my blood. After that I started eating even less meat. And when I got to learn about nutrition I finally knew the truth, and started becoming vegetarian. And now I am vegan.

I do miss milk and eggs. Not in their shape, but stuff which is made of it, like mayonaise, whipped cream and stuff like that. Just to drink or pour through serial I like soy milk way better. Also I kind of hate it that almost all products in the supermarket contain milk or eggs. So it has rather limited my food variation. But I am managing.

I also miss yello-puding, not because the taste but because it looks funny. I have yet to find something that can replace it.

I don't like meat, and never really liked it. The flavour is allright, but I get creeped out by the texture.

I used to like some, like chicken, turkey, and really well done (NO pink at all) pork chops and beef, and some processed things like sausages, but often, I would find a way to spit out other meats into my (paper) napkin, then when I cleared my dishes off the table, I would stash the napkin in the bottom of the garbage can in the kitchen.

And I absolutely REFUSED to eat things that I saw more as animals than food at the time-- duck, deer, goose--and really repulsive stuff, like oysters and liver (though I did try liver once, because I was dating someone who love it and said "ïf we get married, you'll have to learn to make liver and onions". I tried it, spit it out almost immediately--we broke up pretty soon after that!).

I also miss yello-puding, not because the taste but because it looks funny. I have yet to find something that can replace it.

Asceptically packaged tofu can be blended with quite a few things to make "puddiing," including some ready-to-make mixes for banana, lemon, vanilla, chocolate and cocoanut puddings (I'm not sure if your "yellow" pudding is lemon or banana!).

I used to love butterscotch pudding (pre "it's full of odd chemicals" type, I think!). I haven't found a good sub for that (but I also haven't thought about it, or had a craving for it, until now! Why did you mention pudding! )

i'm also not sure what you meant by yello pudding, but aside from using a recipe...

mori-nu makes packages that are mixed with their silken tofu. they've got lemon, vanilla and chocolate.

http://www.morinu.com/product/mates.html

belsoy makes caramel (and vanilla, chocolate and cappuccino). not sure if they're available where you are, though.

I was never a big meat eater, so I didn't miss it much. There were a few exceptions. My mother made the best sausage/gravy/biscuit breakfast. Thanks to meat analogs, now I make the best sausage/gravy/biscuit breakfast -- & cruelty free!

My beast to tame was was gorgonzola. I still get cravings for it on occasion.

I don't really crave meat anymore, but living in Cayman, there are tons of outdoor restraunts around here that smell incredible. Jerk chicken is THE food down here. However, there a lot of wild chickens that run around here. I feed seeds and bread to several of them that live in my backyard. Now everytime I even look at a piece of chicken in the grocery store or on someones plate I get so repulsed. And don't even get me started on the the beef!

It's like, every time I even look at an animal product now I just think of dead bodies lying there in the freezer case or on someone's plate. Everytime I look at an egg, I think of baby chicks being ground up alive as a byproduct of the industry. Well, you get the idea....

belsoy makes caramel (and vanilla, chocolate and cappuccino). not sure if they're available where you are, though.

Oooohh I LOVE Belsoy pudding. I am also a pudding lover (anything dessertish really). I love belsoy chocolate, with a nice glass of chocolate Silk to wash it down with and some of that vegan chocolate chip cookie dough from veganessentials.com.

a slice of cruelty free heaven indeed.

Thanks to meat analogs, now I make the best sausage/gravy/biscuit breakfast -- & cruelty free!

Ooohhh recipe please?

Here you go. Very filling stuff. We only have this on occasion, but it would be good to serve to meaters -- they won't believe it's vegan!

Sausage & Gravy:

Slice a tube of GimmeLean sausage flavor into 'coins' & fry in olive oil. For the times I want to make gravy, I cut two of the coins up into small pieces after they are cooked & if needed, add more oil to the pan. Then I add about 1/2 cup flour (I use whole wheat pastry flour) & stir into the oil until mixed. Let it sizzle, stirring constantly, until lightly browned. Add about 2 cups non-dairy milk (I use Silk), bring just barely to a boil, while stirring. Keep at this heat until gravy thickens. It will also thicken when it cools. Very good!

Biscuits:

2 cups flour

3 teaspoons baking powder

3/4 teaspoon salt

6 tablespoon margarine

3/4 cup soy milk

Preheat oven to 425. Grease a baking sheet.

Sift flour, baking powder & salt together in a large bowl. Add the margarine to the flour mixture until it looks like coarse crumbs. Stir in the soy mil & form the dough into a ball.

On a floured surface, roll out the dough about 2 inches thick. Cut into 2 inch rounds.

Place on sheet & bake for 15 minutes until slightly brown.

(Sometimes I use 1/3 of a cup of nutritional yeast in place of same amount of flour.)

neil, it is good to know that we can enjoy vegan pudding but Morinaga is dairy company and selling dairy products.

When I was little girl, my family gave me Morinaga milk candy but those days I knew nothing about horror in dairy industry and eating milk candy innocently but now there is no way for me to eat dairy products like most people are doing.

I have nothing against buying vegan pudding mix because more people are buying vegan products from Morinaga, they make more vegan products to sell, but when I see word 'dairy' I have ing feeling knowing chilling brutality in dairy industries.

www.notmilk.com