Vegetarian Toothpaste

BrandonC

Baking soda, a pinch of salt, and an optional drop of peppermint or cinnamon essential oil (or even a sprinkle of cinnamon) can do in a pinch. (just be sure to use baking SODA, not baking POWDER, which I did once years ago---makes you foam at the mouth like a rabid dog!)

Eco-Dent even makes a beeswax free dental floss.

[/url]

There's only one problem with Eco-Dent floss that I don't support - the anti-plaque bacteria that is used in the floss is actually harvested on dairy cultures, so due to that we stopped carrying their floss a few years ago and have been trying to convince them that it is not necessary to keep it in the formula. Eco-Dent recently changed hands from the original company and is now owned by Lotus Brands (a naturals products distributor that's less than an hour from where we're located) and we're hoping that with a little pressure we can get this item changed to be completely vegan-friendly instead of having a questionable ingredient. It is one of those things where there's not any dairy in the final product, but without using dairy the cultures would not exist, so we won't carry it because some people won't be too happy about it. It stinks because Jason recently discontinued their floss and the only waxed floss available is the Eco-Dent (unwaxed options are out there, but I can't use them because they tear apart and get stuck in my teeth!) but hopefully someone else will step into the ring and eventually make a good all-vegan waxed floss.

Neil,

If I remember correctly, the NG floss has beeswax (most companies that say they're cruelty-free still don't think of bees as animals, unfortunately...) Don't quote me on this for sure, but I actually spoke with one of the NG product formulators at a convention some time ago and he scoffed at the idea of a vegetable waxed floss, saying it wasn't possible. I can't remember what bizarre reason he gave for it, but he insisted that it wasn't feasible (then how did JASON wax their floss?!?) I'm going to call them tomorrow to see what's up since every damned store online that sells it is too lazy to list the ingredients!

Pretty much everything other than the Eco-Dent, which was discussed above about the milk protein used to create the anti-plaque bacteria that they use in the product. And, of course, JASON discontinued their floss because it "didn't sell well enough", so if the NG floss has beeswax, then you're stuck with the dilemma of Eco-Dent or you've got to go with unwaxed floss. It doesn't seem like it should be so tough to find a vegan floss, but unfortunately that's the case.

I thought I had found a vegan floss online, but just saw that it was from Eco-Dent. (How can they call is 100% vegan when it has lactoferrin in it ?! )

I use Tom's Peppermint Toothpaste and the floss I usually use is an unwaxed generic brand.