Ovarian Cysts

Oh my, did I give the impression that Marcina was not a bright and knowledgeable person? She is. Sorry if I gave that impression that she is not.

I thought I was helping.

Guess not.

No, you didn't at all! Sorry if it sounded that way. My comment about her knowing what's going on was meant as encouragement to her, not a reflection on any implications you made to the contrary.

I just respectfully disagreed with you with respect to external sources of estrogen. I didn't think there was any concern that her problems were being caused by them.

Title of this thread makes me feel ill.

Oh I'm sorry. I forgot. Girls aren't allowed to talk about their "girl parts" but it's okay for men to talk about THEIR issues.. Because talking about sweaty balls is okay. Talking about erectile dysfunction is okay, but it's ing the second a woman mentions her ovaries or her uterus.

Next time I want to discuss a health matter in an adult way, I'll go to an all women site so I don't offend any of the delicate little men around here.

Good grief.

P.S: Yes I have moodswings. It's part of my ovaries being fucked up. Oops.. I mean.. marshmallow-kitten-lady-no-no-spot.

I didn't mean because it has the word ovarian or anything to do with girls but the image of a cyst is what makes me feel pale.

If the thread was called leg cysts i would feel ill too.

LOL at everyone making a deal out of what i said.

According to my doctor ovarian cysts are a common problem when women stop taking the pill. The pill apparently keeps most cysts away!

I found out about my cysts from an ultrasound for a different problem - I had stopped taking the pill about a year prior and didn't even know I had the cysts, so obviously didn't have the pain that you're experiencing. I was booked in for Laparoscopic surgery but the cysts ended up disappearing by themselves.

Sorry to hear you're experiencing the painful type - I hope the sonogram comes back all clear for you *hugs*

Basically, every time you ovulate, your body has created a whole bunch of little cysts (developing follicles), and (typically) one wins out to become the "winner", with the others being reabsorbed. Certain kinds of cysts develop when your ovaries get a little over-enthusiastic and a whole bunch of developing follicles each try to win the race. Other kinds of cysts can form when certain cell types don't respond to the normal signals to stop growing (which happens once per cycle).

That's why the pill is a good treatment for most types of ovarian cysts (especially those in PCOS, polycystic ovarian syndrome). Because you're not ovulating, your ovaries aren't getting that once-a-month go ahead to produce the little cysts that can accidentally turn into big ones.

This applies to most, but not all types of ovarian cysts.

Functional cysts will disappear on their own. They are the most common type of cyst -- the kind that keep growing during ovulation. Corpus Luteum cysts are another common functional cyst. They are, for the most part, harmless.

The cysts that usually require some sort of intervention are dermoid cysts (which are composed of other body tissues, such as fat, cartilage, bone or hair), cancerous ones (obviously), and endometriomas.

Chances are, my cysts are functional.. Since that's the most common kind. They look like bubbles on an ultrasound, and doctors usually "wait and see" if they get bigger, or don't go away before they decide to remove them surgically. Dermoid cysts can be seen on an x-ray and are pretty obvious since they contain other body tissue (they need to be surgically removed), and endometriosis is a condition only diagnosed by laproscopic surgery.

I used to have ovarian cysts all the time when I was younger, and they all but disappeared when I changed my diet (went from being a junk-food white bread loving omni to a whole food loving vegan, so hard to tell which factors helped the most). I got another one recently and it really sucks cuz it's interfering with my sex life. Usually I don't have pain from movement, or even most strenuous exercises. But during sex, there are certain things that feel good...and those certain things just happen to hurt my ovaries now. grr...

I have started taking some wild yam and phytoestrogens in an attempt to stabilize my hormones, and have found that it greatly reduces any cramps or other PMS/menstrual symptoms. I don't take them while I'm on my period, and I think it makes the surge of estrogen less dramatic. Idk, I'm gonna see if it helps the cyst go away faster than usual too.

Earlier in this thread we mentioned that food doesn't have that much of an impact (in any at all) on your hormones.

So, if you're purchasing herbs and supplements to try and fix a medical issue, you're just wasting your money.

This is something that should be discussed with your doctor. If you have a hormone imbalance causing your cysts, or something more serious, your doctor will be able to provide you with effective treatment.

If you wait too long before you take action, you CAN become infertile. Ovaries can become twisted or damaged from cysts. Depending on the size and what kind of cyst you have, you may need to have them removed. The ovaries are really complicated organs. I've spent hours researching this subject and I have barely skimmed the surface.

• 1 year later...

Hey Marcina, how did the cysts turn out? My GF's mom has them now and she's a bit worried, one is simple and two are complex. Her doctor is waiting to see, but I have heard some anecdotal evidence about carrots and beets being helpful, but I'm not quite sure if there is backing for that. Have you heard anything?

I am wondering how things turned out too. I had a large one that wouldn't stop growing. I was told it wouldn't be cancerous since I was too young (25), but it was. It was a mature teratoma with muscle tissue that turned into a muscle tissue cancer. Of course, that is rare. Hopefully yours was much simpler.