How vegans feel sometimes

robert

As vegans I know sometimes we feel like this or we're looked upon like this:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs185.snc1/6180_231171285187_677185187_7830957_2943861_n.jpg

My family is a full on mixture of farmers and vegans/vegetarians so we have a lot people who stand out, not just one...but I imagine for a lot of you, you may be the only one....which is another reason forum and local veg communities can be so much fun

Well in my family I'm the white sheep of the family so to speak but no less nefarious though.

I do have VegNews and Vegetarian Times come to the house. Otherwise I don't preach.

I was surprised talking to our son in Iraq the other day when he said he has abstained from eating meat after read an article I sent him. He figures that the Army no doubt is on these suppliers list.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-kirby/food-safety----drugs-pois_b_537686.html

OMG! I use to feel like that. Then my sister "came out" if you will. Now she practically introduces herself with Lesbian as her last name, lol. She is very very VERY LOUD and proud! Not that there's anything wrong with that, Haha.

My family think I'm delusional or that I'm playing a prank on them....

They don't seem to believe me! Whenever I'm in the kitchen with my mom she'll ask me if I'm the one who ate half the feta in the fridge...or if I'd like a Spanish omelet...I kindly refuse!

I don't think it has hit them yet, and I'm sure once it does they'll go on and on about how I'm doing it for the wrong reasons.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am the only one in a family of meat eaters. I've been vegetarian for 5 years and vegan for 1 and still to this day whenever we have get togethers they don't get it. I even offer to bring my own food and enough to share so they don't have to feel obligated to make something ( that will end up being wrong ). But then they get offended that I've brought food but if I didn't bring food I would have been the only one not eating the whole time.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, I am definitely the black sheep. My family thinks I am now "not living" without eating meat. I come from a large southern family where everything is fried....the greasier the better. It's hard going to family functions sometimes, but I make sure that I always bring a dish to pass. Once everyone tries my dish, they love it usually, then they ask a million questions about the ingredients. I have yet to "lure" anyone over to the vegan side, but at least they're willing to try my "weird" food....as they say. I've learned to accept it. I can't change anyone but myself.