Dissections

Northstar

This week I opted out of dissection of a fetal pig in my biology course and asked for an alternate assignment. On one hand I know that the purchase of the pigs is supporting a cruel industry that exploits animals, but on the other hand I was kind of made to feel like a fanatic. Would you be involved in a dissection?

I would certainly abstain. I consider the value of the pigs life to be what the universe achieves in return for it's death, which in this case is nothing. What benefits are involved in class dissections?

"Oh look, the heart is right were we all knew it would be."

"Oh wow pigs are gross on the inside."

"Oh now I understand how to cut creatures into neat little pieces!"

It's a pointless little exercise, and one that I think will eventually be abolished (at least in the general school system)...

Thanks for the reassurance, and my sentiments are exactly yours. The very minimal educational value of such an exercise does not outweigh the harm done. Its hard sometimes to stand out from the crowd, especially with your peers.. yea know? But you just have to do what you know is right or nothing will ever change.

Way to stand up for what you believe in!! I support you 110%. I would have done the same. I believe that there are definitely other pig friendly options available to learn. If more students stand up maybe one day there will be no more vivisection. As far as fanatic, well I think you should be proud that you are educating others that there are humane options.