Dha supplements might not be necessary after all

FYI I'm always right.

I think this quote basically sums up what I've always want to get through to people:

The WHO also says there is "convincing" evidence that taking between 0.25 and 2 grams of DHA per day could help reduce risk of a fatal heart attack, but, as Sanders says, there are other equally effective ways of protecting yourself from that risk.

The only results I would call impressive when it comes to DHA/EPA is when it's used as a treatment for the already sick. A much better thing to do is avoid becoming sick in the first place and fish oils are not needed for that.

Just want to make sure people read this

Omega-3 myths

ADHD

Claim: omega-3 levels are low in children with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder and supplements can improve core symptoms

Current thinking: systematic reviews found there were too many inconsistencies between studies to draw any reliable conclusions

Aggression

Claim: countries with a high level of omega-3 in their diet have the lowest murder rates

Current thinking: correlation is not disputed, but critics of the study say this is insufficient evidence to claim causation

Alzheimer's disease

Claim: DHA may delay onset of Alzheimer's, based on evidence from rat studies

Current thinking: two recent large studies found omega-3 supplements had no effect on cognitive function in normal ageing or on the incidence and treatment of dementia

Brain boosting

Claim: fish oil supplements significantly improve reading, spelling and behaviour

Current thinking: a systematic review of all studies found insufficient evidence to identify any effect. The largest study to date reported no effect on cognitive function in later life

Cancer

Claim: DHA can reduce tumour size in rats

Current thinking: a systematic review by the World Cancer Research Fund found little evidence of any effect of omega-3s on cancer. The only reliable study suggested eating fish could reduce the risk of thyroid cancer, but the reviewers believe this was almost certainly due to the iodine content of fish, not omega-3

Depression & other mental health problems

Claim: countries with high levels of omega-3 in their diet have low levels of depression and suicide

Current thinking: when results from randomised controlled trials were systematically reviewed, no evidence of effects on mental health, including schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, were found

• 2 weeks later...

Even with an optimal diet, you still may be lacking a few nutrients that may offer significant health benefits – especially when it comes to cancer protection. Although we get thousands of beneficial micronutrients from vegetables, fruits, beans, nuts, and seeds, there are a few nutrients that still may be lacking.

Zinc and DHA are two nutrients that are somewhat more difficult to obtain on a plant-based diet and were recently found to enhance prostate cancer survival.1 Zinc and DHA were investigated because they are both known to reduce inflammation, and inflammation contributes to cancer progression. This recent study demonstrated,

High zinc intake was associated with up to 74% reduction in risk of death from prostate cancer.

High DHA intake was associated with 30% reduced risk of death from prostate cancer.

Long-term zinc supplementation is associated with reduced risk of advanced prostate cancer.2 Plant foods have high zinc content, however these foods also contain substances that inhibit zinc absorption.3 As a result, there is a high prevalence of zinc deficiency among vegetarians and vegans.4

The omega-3 fatty acid DHA is known to have anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory properties, as well as benefits to the brain and cardiovascular system.5,6 The major food source of DHA is fish, which often contains pollutants and is of course not included in a vegetarian or vegan diet.

Read more about zinc, DHA, and prostate cancer survival on Disease Proof.

For zinc and DHA, supplementation is appropriate to ensure sufficient intake. Zinc is included in Dr. Fuhrman’s Gentle Care Formula (and Gentle Prenatal) multivitamin and mineral supplement. Even those who follow a high nutrient diet-style should take a high-quality multivitamin and mineral supplement to top off their healthy diets, not just to protect against deficiencies but to achieve optimal levels that mazimally enhance protection against cancer. Dr. Fuhrman’s Gentle Care Formula and Gentle Prenatal multivitamin and mineral supplements are formulated to contain the optimal amounts of each nutrient and to exclude potentially harmful ingredients.

To assure peope maintain optimal DHA levels, Dr. Fuhrman recommends taking a laboratory cultivated DHA supplement made from micro-algae, which is a more environmentally sustainable option than fish or fish oil. Dr. Fuhrman’s DHA Purity is manufactured under strict conditions to ensure purity and freshness and stored in refrigeration.

References:

1. Meyer MS, Kasperzyk JL, Andren O, et al. Anti-inflammatory nutrients and prostate cancer survival in the Örebro Prostate Cancer Survivors Cohort. [Abstract]. In: Proceedings of the 101st Annual Meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research; 2010 Apr 17-21; Washington, DC. Philadelphia (PA): AACR; 2010. Abstract nr 5747 MedPageToday. AACR: Zinc Linked to Prostate Cancer Survival. http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/AACR/19685

2. Gonzalez A, Peters U, Lampe JW, White E. Zinc intake from supplements and diet and prostate cancer. Nutr Cancer. 2009;61(2):206-15.

3. Hunt JR. Bioavailability of iron, zinc, and other trace minerals from vegetarian diets. Am J Clin Nutr 2003;78(suppl):633S–9S.

4. de Bortoli MC, Cozzolino SM. Zinc and selenium nutritional status in vegetarians. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2009 Mar;127(3):228-33.

5. Spencer L, Mann C, Metcalfe M, et al. The effect of omega-3 FAs on tumour angiogenesis and their therapeutic potential. Eur J Cancer. 2009 Aug;45(12):2077-86.

6. Calder PC, Yaqoob P. Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and human health outcomes. Biofactors. 2009 May-Jun;35(3):266-72.

I havent reviewed these studies yet. These are actually some of the studies referenced by my urologists. Well actually the last five urologists I have had. I dont know I thought I would offer them up for inspection. They are from Fuhrmans site.

Fuhrman is sort of a joke when it comes to supplements. If he would stop selling them and then spend the same amount of time promoting supplements I might actually give a damn. He uses studies in such a non-scientific way that it pisses me off.