Two Workouts A Day...

Pro's and Con's Please...

What are the main benefits to doing a double workout split routine. I've seen a lot of bodybuilders do this gearing up for a competition but can this be done successfully normally to help increase development. Can it hurt and be over training.

I am planning are giving myself a goal that by Jan. 1st 2011 I will have packed on 20 lbs of good clean muscle. I am wondering if sticking to my 5 day single workout routine would be better or working to split that up with maybe a 2x day workout for a few months or longer

Thanks for you input

• 3 weeks later...

Based on your goals, it is not at all a good idea to workout twice a day. Muscles need some time to recover after a high intensity workout in order to grow and don't try to follow the routines of professionals because there are a lot of aspects of their game plan (e.g steroids) that we don't want to follow. For maximum muscle gains, train every body part just once in a week.

Double workouts are ideal for maximum strength gains . Look up on Svend Karlsen , Mariusz Pudzianowski , particularly majority of strongman athletes uses double workouts . One in the morning and one in the evening .

For example you do some squats , goblet squats and legs extension in the morning .

So in the afternoon you can do some frog jumps , box jumps .

Particularly working out the muscles in the morning and in the later part using the "strength" .

You can build on a lot of "absolute" and "functional" strength since functional strength comes by doing some particular movements e.g. punching . You wouldn't wanna lift weights in gym and at the end of day , you can't use your strength in your daily life .

Double workouts are ideal for maximum strength gains . Look up on Svend Karlsen , Mariusz Pudzianowski , particularly majority of strongman athletes uses double workouts . One in the morning and one in the evening .

Allthough it is worth keeping in mind those people have spend 10+ years of adapting their bodies to that kind of workloads, so their style of training is likely unsuitable for anyone who hasnt. Also they probably use performance enhancing drugs.

That said, I think there is no problem with working out two times a day as long as the total volume is kept within the range that the body can handle.

Allthough it is worth keeping in mind those people have spend 10+ years of adapting their bodies to that kind of workloads, so their style of training is likely unsuitable for anyone who hasnt. Also they probably use performance enhancing drugs.

That said, I think there is no problem with working out two times a day as long as the total volume is kept within the range that the body can handle.

I second to what you have said . Take a look at Magnus Samuelsson . He is one of them who doesn't take performance enhancing drugs and a clean and natural strongman . Yes i'm not asking him to start their routine at one goal , he can take it slowly by splitting his routine into two parts . When his body has gotten used to it then he could have two workout regimes in one day .

• 10 months later...

I'm curious about this as well - I'm a kickboxer (Muay Thai) and over the past 4 months or so I've been doing a lot of power lifting. I switched to lifting because I had an injury that kept my from boxing but I could lift weights with.. Gained over 10 lbs so far!

I now am in love with lifting, but I want to go back to MT. I lift in the morning and do MT at night. How should I change my workouts?

My workout goes a little like this:

Morning

(day 1)

Squats

Calf Extensions

BB Lunges

BW Squats

(day 2)

Decline Bench

Over head press (standing)

Shoulder press (sitting, much lighter weight)

Dips

Pushups

Abs

(day 3)

BO BB rows

BO DB rows (support from bench)

Pullups

Plate Rows (machine)

Seated DB Curls

Obliques

Two days rest, start again. 5 nights a week, I go to Muay Thai classes. With MT at night (a lot of body weight exercises working all muscles), am I over training? What's the worst that can happen. Will I stop seeing gains? Eat more? What are some recommendations for me based on this level of activity.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Working out 2 times a day is good for you I beleave, because if your going to work out you might as well break that muscle down so it can rebuild! Just make sure you sleep enough, my dad for example worked out atleast twice a day everyday and that man is a BEAST!!