preggers and vega?

Hey everyone I have a question. I searched online and of course I am going to email the company but I wanted to see if anyone here knew the answer. Is vega safe for pregnant women? The website says it is great for everyone but doesnt specifically mention pregnant women. Asking my doctor sounds like a good idea but my doc has never heard of vega and freely admits that doctors have very litttle training in nutrition. Thanks!

You have no worries using Vega while Pregnant.

This is simply not true and I'm really concerned that you would say so. Vega contains 100% RDI of pre-vitamin A (retinyl palmitate). High intakes of vitamin A can damage the embryo. In general the official recommendation is to not take supplements, except folic acid, unless you already have a deficiency (iron is pretty common). Zinc and magnesium might be issues for someone with a poor diet or very low energy intake but shouldn't be otherwise. There is probably no need to take a folic acid supplement if you're eating a healthy vegan diet rich in greens but that's something you should discuss with your doctor. The ingredients in Vega have not been shown to be harmful for a fetus, but not harmless either. I would not use it if I were you.

Hello xjohanx, I am always open to more information which might be more current that what I have learned.

I believe I know in which study you are referring. RDA is 5000. The short study regarded high doses as an issue or doses in excess of 10000 in the form of retinyl palmitate. They concluded that it is required and essential for maintenance of normal reproductive function. The recommended daily level during pregnancy is 8,000 IU. Too much is an issue, and too little is an issue as well.

That being said katheryne, if you have concerns speak with your OB.

I don't know who gives the official guidelines for pregnant women in the US but in the Nordic countries and the rest of Europe it's recommended to not take any vitamin A supplement above 1 mg (or to eat liver and liver products because of their high vitamin A content). Why even take the risk?

I don't know who gives the official guidelines for pregnant women in the US but in the Nordic countries and the rest of Europe it's recommended to not take any vitamin A supplement above 1 mg (or to eat liver and liver products because of their high vitamin A content). Why even take the risk?

The point of the question was to find out if there even was a risk.

So I was looking at the nutritional info and for the 2 scoop serving it says it gives 40% of RDA for vitamin A. I have only ever used one scoop in a smoothie for breakfast...... my OB is not familiar with the product. Clearly I will no longer use it until I know for sure.

Ok so I contacted the company and they said it was safe......... the reason this is such a pickle is because it is currently the ONLY thing I dont throw up. I have lost 6lbs so far from morning sickness and this is the ONLY thing that sticks around. If you have never been pregnant you can not possibly understand how awful the sickness can be.

http://myvega.com/sites/myvega.com/files/u3/Vega-Large-natural_1039-US.pdf says 2 scoops gives 5000IU (100% of DV) of vitamin A

Ok I misread something somewhere then. You are right. Im only eating one scoop a day. I think after calling a few different OBs now and the company and trying to find something that says not too. I will use it. Right now its either that or starve to death.

"The following are some of the vitamins you need to consume during pregnancy:

•Vitamin A is used in the development of skin and mucous membrane cells. You’ll need between 4,000 and 5,000 IU each day."

"Supplementation of 8,000 IU vitamin A (as retinol/retinyl esters) per day should be considered the recommended maximum prior to or during pregnancy until further evaluations can be performed in the human population. It is important to determine the type of vitamin A consumed, since beta-carotene has not been associated with vitamin A toxicity in animals or man.

Manufacturers of vitamin A (as retinol or retinyl esters) should lower the maximum amount of vitamin A per unit dosage to 5,000-8,000 IU (1,500-2,400 RE) and identify the source of the vitamin A. High dosages of vitamin A as retinol/retinyl esters (25,000 IU or more) are not recommended.

Labeling of products containing vitamin A supplements (as retinol/retinyl esters) should indicate (a) that consumption of excessive amounts of vitamin A may be hazardous to the embryo/fetus when taken during pregnancy; and (b) that women of childbearing potential should consult with their physicians before consuming these products.

Dr. Larry Gilstrap of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists was quoted as saying (USA Today), "We want to reassure women that the amount (of vitamin A) in their prenatal vitamin is safe, and so is the amount they're likely getting from their diet.'' Gilstrap went on to say that vitamins given to pregnant women usually contain 4,000-5,000 IU. Dr. Gilstrap considered this amount of vitamin A to be sufficient because it leaves room for dietary sources of vitamin A such as meat and dairy products. "