Warmup and cooldown

I'm quite lazy when it comes to warming up and cooling down. For each exercise I'll warmup with an empty bar and put 10-20kg on till I reach work weight, but I don't do anything prior to this to get my heart rate up usually. I feel sometimes it takes me a bit to get into the right mindset, and sometimes I feel stiff during the first set at work weight.

I want to know what you guys do to warm up before your workout. Does it depend what muscles your working that day, or do you do the same thing before/after each workout?

I never warm up, which is weird. Guess I'm just a weightlifting machine! Haha, just kidding. I'm kind of curious what other people do, too. In the past, I would warm up doing a few sets with just the bar if I wasn't in the right mindset yet.

I'm quite lazy when it comes to warming up and cooling down. For each exercise I'll warmup with an empty bar and put 10-20kg on till I reach work weight, but I don't do anything prior to this to get my heart rate up usually. I feel sometimes it takes me a bit to get into the right mindset, and sometimes I feel stiff during the first set at work weight.

That is pretty much what I do, and I think it is enough.

I want to know what you guys do to warm up before your workout. Does it depend what muscles your working that day, or do you do the same thing before/after each workout?

If I'm starting with snatches I will usually do some sets of pressunders and muscle snatches followed by powersnatches and full snatches, all with the empty bar. Then Ill go to my working weight in about 10kg increments. If I'm doing cleans or clean and jerk first, I will do some sets of front squats, presses and jerks with the empty bar before I start working up towards working weight, normally in 10kg increments.

now obviously this isn't the "set" way to warm-up, but i've been following this advice with some great results. could just be the time in between sets, or the actual weight increments. But, regardless, I'm sure you can find it useful and adapt it to your needs. i've reached some personal bests just by warming up properly, but then again, my warm-up routine has always sucked until recently. http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3404

The older I get, the more I need to warm up. Gone are the days of walking into the gym straight from work and starting my squats and deadlifts with 300+ lbs. - even if I were stronger again, I'd need more time to get myself set for heavy lifting. Not that I warm up much (maybe 2-3 lighter sets for a body part before going into my working sets), but I find I don't get as achey if I do at least a few lighter sets before going heavy. For leg day, I'll do a 5 minute brisk walk first to get things flowing before I use a foam roller to roll out a bit, and I'll do plenty of lighter sets for squats/deadlifts, but upper body doesn't seem to require as much.

i either walk to and from the gym for my warm up and cool down, or ride the bike for 10 minutes.

i also do some stretching.

warming up and cooling down was one of my weaknesses, and one of my goals written down this training cycle was proper warm up and cool down.

once you start it becomes habit like the rest of your routine.