making vegan protein powder taste decent

Hi! I'm new here and I'm not a real serious bodybuilder or anything - but I do workout everyday and like to keep a nice lean look . . .

This may be more appropriate to the recipes forum - I'm not sure

I know for a fact that I don't eat enough protein, so I've tried using vegan protein powders - and more power to you guys that say they taste good - but the only one I can drink in any way but shooting it and making faces is Vega, which is not cheap, and still has a certain freshly mowed lawn taste . . .

Do you guys have any suggestions for ways to hide the taste of this stuff? I can really tell a difference when I use a protein powder, but I just can't get past the taste . . .

Thanks!

I'm not a fan of most Vega flavors other than the Vanilla Chai flavor which is absolutely delicious.

It's going to be hard to come up with good tasting mostly-protein powder shake without buying something that's already heavily flavored and expensive. For example I think that soy protein 95 stuff from GNC tastes pretty damn delicious but it's expensive.

I currently make a smoothie from this which tastes pretty damn good:

- 3 scoops rice/pea protein blend (~70g protein)

- one banana

- 5 strawberries

- 1 tbsp flax oil

- ~5g creatine

- 1.25 c water

I usually break my daily fast with this, so it is a little on the heavy side. You probably couldn't chug this right after jumping off the treadmill. The protein powder I use has a free vanilla flavor and stevia sweetener in it, but it's extremely weak.

I'm curious are you comparing vegan protein powder flavor to something like whey protein? I've became vegan well before becoming interested in fitness so I've never had anything like a whey shake to compare.

Hi! I'm new here and I'm not a real serious bodybuilder or anything - but I do workout everyday and like to keep a nice lean look . . .

This may be more appropriate to the recipes forum - I'm not sure

I know for a fact that I don't eat enough protein, so I've tried using vegan protein powders - and more power to you guys that say they taste good - but the only one I can drink in any way but shooting it and making faces is Vega, which is not cheap, and still has a certain freshly mowed lawn taste . . .

Do you guys have any suggestions for ways to hide the taste of this stuff? I can really tell a difference when I use a protein powder, but I just can't get past the taste . . .

Thanks!

I can't get Vega here but somehow Robert's book came with Vega samples enclosed(human intake of hemp seeds in Australia is illegal lol).Tasted great but that's all i can get till the law is lifted.Till then i have to drink ground hemp seeds in water(sold intended for dogs )

1 awesome thing though is we get sunwarrior protein here and that tastes great!

As for hemp seeds, try it with different fruit juices and it goes down fine.

I currently make a smoothie from this which tastes pretty damn good:

- 3 scoops rice/pea protein blend (~70g protein)

- one banana

- 5 strawberries

- 1 tbsp flax oil

- ~5g creatine

- 1.25 c water

That's almost exactly mine heh. But mine is:

1 scoop powder (~30g protein)

one banana

5 strawberries

1 tbsp flax seeds

1 cup almond milk

4-6 ice cubes

Works out well too.

Great minds eh?

Cool - thanks for all the great ideas - I may try the protein shake for dinner - I usually don't eat much dinner and I work out at night so that sounds like a perfect 'dish' . . .

I never really tried whey protein before I was vegan - I think I may have done slim fast as a teenager or something - that is probably whey - I'm just basing the nasty taste concept on the general principle that food products should be edible

Thanks again!

I don't find Vega or Sun Warrior nasty at all, but everything else I've tried I can't stand. I like chocolate Sun Warrior mixed with water, and vanilla as well, even though I like chocolate better. I like Vega best mixed with plain unsweetened almond milk, which, now that I think about it, would probably be pretty good with the Sun Warrior too.

Hey haha, first post on this site.

Anyway let's cut to the chase!

There's a great soy based Vegan protein powder by the company Genisoy.

There's Vanilla, Chocolate, Unflavored, and Strawberry Banana.

Vanilla and Chocolate can actually be found at Wal-Mart surprisingly.

I've had both myself, mix with some soy milk and they taste great.

Sort of like light milkshakes.

Haven't had Strawberry Banana yet or Unflavored, I can only find them on Ebay and Genisoy's site. (http://www.genisoy.com/products/shakes/)

Wal-Mart sells the Vanilla and Chocolate for around 10 bucks.

Says Vegan right on the back, has a V logo too.

Vanilla is 14Grams of protein per serving, Unflavored is 25Grams, Strawberry Banana is 14grams, and Chocolate is also 14Grams.

Each flavor has 20 or so essential vitamins and minerals.

Vanilla and Chocolate taste great, so I'm sure the others do.

Strawberry Banana is where it's at and I gotta get some of that!

Hope this helps!

~Matt