Let Them Eat Meat! - A website by an ex-vegan

robert

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for proving her point Cold Fission.

He only proved this:

I have had the same observation about chunks of people in other isms. Interestingly, I've heard conservative friends at work make similar complaints about their communities. Maybe it is just human nature that once you get a group going certain kinds of BS are going to happen.

This is not some phenomenon of the vegan community. I have seen it in many, many communities, and have seen discussions like this one that you could practically switch the word vegan to "x".

(By the way, thanks for that Before Wisdom, I could not have said it better myself)

There is one thing I agree with him though:

I don't care how mean or rude vegans come across as, i'll remain vegan forever, loved or hated.

Cold Fission;

And i don't believe for a second that if we agree and be real nice to marcina that maybe she'll join our 'vegan poser group'

Then you are making assumptions you can not justify, which if they are wrong you will be partially responsible for another person not being a veg*n --- auspiciously what you claim you want.

Rae Sikora is a famous example of someone who was vegan, who stopped, who became one again and went on to become a serious activist. It does happen.

I was a "health and environmental vegan" for years after I went vegan. I didn't want anything to do with the ethical side of that choice, because the only vegans I knew at the time were people into slamming others the way you are slamming Marcina. At one point I went to a convention and met OTHER types of people who were also vegans and that changed it for me.

Maybe it isn't a matter of belief for you. Maybe you just feel self conscious that someone has something to say about your post. Either way don't believe for a moment that what you have to say as an individual doesn't have an effect. If that were true there would be no point in any of us talking to anyone about going vegan. Your mouth, in particular, also matters.

For the record, I would be happier if Marcina became a vegan tomorrow, but as far as I am concerned she and any open minded omnis are welcome here.

I'm gonna point out a few things:

1. I did initially get turned off of veganism by other vegans being asshats. Yes, I had digestive issues, and tried everything I could to stay on a vegan diet and try to fix it. None of that seemed to work however. I did the flax oil, the hemp, the fiber supplements.. That helped keep me regular but I still had the pain regardless. I decided enough was enough and tried out fish one night. I would eat vegan 5 out of 7 days of the week.

2. I never left this board because I actually like a majority of you guys. Out of all the forums I joined, this is the only one that was moderated properly, and people had intelligent discussions and debates, rather than act out like 2 year olds because of whatever reason.

3. Coldfission: Did you get that clever "insult" out of an e-mail sent to you? How original. I mostly find it funny because you had no idea I've heard that spiel before. The dicks and pussies? Nice touch.

Thanks for proving my point btw.

4. I'm Your Man: Please don't confuse opinions with fact. I'm well aware everyone on this board is apalled by my consumption of fish and eggs. You don't need to point it out, or ask questions as to why I eat fish and not pork. It's personal choice. Just like you decide to eat raw as opposed to cooked food.

5. Despite what many of you may think I DO respect vegans and their dedication. I don't possess that dedication. I don't share the same beliefs. That in no way means that I think your beliefs are wrong. You are passionate people, and I continue posting on this board because I'm genuinely interested in what everyone has to say.

Let me tell you the reason why I have a high fiber diet: I was diagnosed with IBS-C by my doctor. I had X-rays which showed how "backed up" I was, despite going regularily everyday. My doctor told me to take Metamucil, and it helped a little but I still had inflammation which was very painful and actually interfered with my ability to do my job. I often avoided going out because I was in so much pain.

A lot of vegan foods just bothered me so much.. Like soy, nuts, seeds, corn, and some grains. It's hard to get enough protein as a vegan without those things. I also have anemia, as a result of eating so much soy as a vegan, and often not eating properly because of my digestive problems.

I now take an iron supplement.

Is this thread going to turn into a conversation about poop now? Rofl!

3. Coldfission: Did you get that clever "insult" out of an e-mail sent to you? How original. I mostly find it funny because you had no idea I've heard that spiel before. The dicks and pussies? Nice touch.

Thanks for proving my point btw.

When i saw beforewisdoms x dick post i remembered that movie Team America and quoted that bit near the end.

I feel it explains this situation perfectly.

I'm passionate about veganism and animals lives so i speak my heart when i see someone opposing veganism.

What was i supposed to say?'letthemeatmeat.com is a great site with valid points and if we talk nice about the site maybe all those backstabbers will become vegans and lead the vegan revolution'LOL.

Enough with this 'vegans need to be humble' talk.I'm a bizkit fan!

*puts on red cap.........backwards*

For what it is worth here is a link to the original thread on VBB about that blog:

http://veganbodybuilding.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=20781&p=225143&hilit=letthemeatmeat#p225143

He deleted the blog post that inspired the start of that thread, but it is still in Googles Web Archives:

http://bit.ly/8Pvf7S

Jack Norris, vegan RD recently posted about this guys blog:

http://jacknorrisrd.com/?p=1099

Haha. Thanks for posting the archive link. I had missed that the first time around. He sure did catch some candid shots of our little group there. Too bad that post isn't still up because it goes to show how wrong he is about a lot of things. I, for one, was a meat-eater before that D.C. Vegfest and was incredibly unhealthy. Now, I would say I am 100 times healthier since I've cut meat out of my diet. I have more energy. I am able to run distances I have never been able to run in my life prior to this life change.

For anyone that's interested though.. there is a picture of Robert still on the site and there's also one of Myke with Rory Freedman.

Too bad that post isn't still up because it goes to show how wrong he is about a lot of things. I, for one, was a meat-eater before that D.C. Vegfest and was incredibly unhealthy. Now, I would say I am 100 times healthier since I've cut meat out of my diet. I have more energy. I am able to run distances I have never been able to run in my life prior to this life change.

I posted a few comments on his blog when his smear piece about the DC Vegfest came out. He is good about not censoring people's comments ( he just ignores what he doesn't like ). You should post that in the comment section of whatever his latest post is.

Hmm yeah. I'd never start an anti-vegan group or bash vegans via a blog. I would just lump the bad ones into the same pile as any other asshole. Such as people who tell me my diet is unhealthy while they're going through the KFC drive-thru (true story. Happened to me last night. It was lawltastic)

Such as people who tell me my diet is unhealthy while they're going through the KFC drive-thru (true story. Happened to me last night. It was lawltastic)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

-Einstein

Everything we do affects and influences others. I've been vegan for 30 years but I wouldn't say that that has helped any non-humans. I'm sure that the same number would have been tortured and killed no matter what I did. But I might have encouraged some people to give up meat or become vegans. The more of us there are, the sooner change will happen. One black woman refused to give up her seat to a white person on a bus. That one act on its own would not have accomplished anything. It was when others were influenced by it that things began to happen.

It's true that some vegans insult meat eaters and even veggies. But people who care about non-humans understandably feel rage at the way humans treat them. Just like most people would feel rage if they heard a rapist or paedophile describing how much they enjoy what they do. Denouncing wrongdoers and insulting them is very unlikely to get them to change their ways but it is very difficult sometimes not to do so. I used to get angry with cruel people but the years taught me that it is counterproductive.

I hope Marcina becomes a vegan again. She'll get plenty of support here if she chooses to do so.

I've been vegan for 30 years but I wouldn't say that that has helped any non-humans. I'm sure that the same number would have been tortured and killed no matter what I did. But I might have encouraged some people to give up meat or become vegans. The more of us there are, the sooner change will happen.

Well, if you think of it this way, if all the vegetarians and vegans in the world started eating meat, there would be lots and lots more demand on the meat industry as a result, therefore more farms would open and more animals would be killed. Each person that boycotts those industries is contributing, and has a direct impact on the (lack of) profit made by farms.

I've been vegan for 30 years but I wouldn't say that that has helped any non-humans. I'm sure that the same number would have been tortured and killed no matter what I did. But I might have encouraged some people to give up meat or become vegans. The more of us there are, the sooner change will happen.

Well, if you think of it this way, if all the vegetarians and vegans in the world started eating meat, there would be lots and lots more demand on the meat industry as a result, therefore more farms would open and more animals would be killed. Each person that boycotts those industries is contributing, and has a direct impact on the (lack of) profit made by farms.

It's not quite 1:1 though. http://jacknorrisrd.com/?p=1133

But the same could be said for owning slaves in the United States a couple centuries ago. By not buying slaves, you're probably having a non-existent to negligible effect on the market. Slavers filled their boats to capacity every time they went to Africa. That doesn't excuse slave owners.

No, it's not 1:1 certainly, you need to have a lot of vegans/vegetarians. But in order for there to be lots, there has to be individuals making the decision to do it, so I think people should feel good about the decision they have made, and not feel like it is pointless, it is part of larger movement. The less a product in a store sells, the less that store will order in future - on a wider scale if this happens in enough stores, the demand for that product will be lowered by a big enough margin for the manufacturer to produce less, as it can't shift the units. I don't know what the total number of vegans / vegetarians is in any given area, or the planet, but I think that to really understand the impact, you'd have to see them all revert to meat-eating, and then the demand for meat products would increase by a lot. That is the difference that is being made, and I think it's really worthwhile, and not negligible.