I just finished Rob's book biotches

Richard

Hello there,

I just finished reading Vegan Bodybuilding and Fitness, and apart from a quote from some douchebag British guy, I felt it was pumped full of information that will surely help pretty much anybody. It is a guide from square one, which covers every aspect of vegan bodybuilding, and is written for every level of reader, from beginner, to experienced weight-lifters, to people who are seriously attempting to make a career. As such, some chapters will not be appropriate for you individually. If you're already at a high level of bodybuilding, then you probably don't need to read about motivation. And if you're just a beginner, you probably don't need to read about getting sponsored as a bodybuilder. But it's all there, whatever you need from it, and you can skip the things that don't apply.

A large part of the beginning of the book introduces Robert, lets you know his reasons for writing the book, what he hopes to achieve, and how he started out, it is very transparent, and for those people who don't know Robert, it would most likely make them understand how serious he is about this, and that it isn't just a job or a way to make money.

The way I see the book, it is really covering 6 aspects of vegan bodybuilding:

1) Motivation and dedication

2) Diet

3) Supplements

4) Training

5) Getting into the sport

6) Bodybuilding as activism

This is great, and will probably get people to think. I've been a vegan and lifted weights for about 10 years now personally, and I still got a lot out of this book. Regarding motivation, Rob deconstructs how he perceives the average person's lifestyle, and points out the pitfalls and failings that people normally come across. That doesn't sound so special, but Rob doesn't just leave it at that, he puts forward many different ideas and ways to sort your head out. There is the clear message that you have to really apply yourself to get anywhere, and that is definitely true. The book can most certainly help you to get things in perspective, and challenges you to prioritize the important things in your life, and cut down on the things you really know to be pointless or a waste of time.

Diet and supplements are covered extensively. I read all the information on nutrition, but didn't read all of the individual meal plans, though I got the general idea. Again, though I have been doing this for a while, there was information here, all together, that really spells out what is important, and what has worked for Rob - as well as other people that he mentions. I can take from these sections what I can apply to myself, and work as hard towards what Rob explains, even if I don't eat everything, or take everything, that he recommends, there is a guide that can help your diet improve in many ways. For people who are not experienced at all, it will be a huge help. Especially those who are new to veganism, new to bodybuilding, or have reached a plateau, or maybe people who just want to eat healthier, but don't know where to go.

Rob recommends compound exercises, and lists those that he considers to be most powerful and effective, with instructions on what they are and how to do them. Most of this I have read many times before elsewhere, and I definitely agree with what was written. This section will benefit those who are not getting stronger or bigger, or those just starting out. Those who are already successfully lifting weights and seeing the results they want, may not benefit so much, but probably there is something that you're not happy with in your training, and this is a great outline. Also, he doesn't just say do this, do that, don't do anything else. He puts forward what he thinks is most important and gives alternatives, and other exercises that are also useful, even if they are not as powerful as the main core of compound movements he recommends.

Getting into the sport is something that I am not interested in, so I didn't read much of this chapter. I couldn't verify the validity of what was said even if I did read it, as I really don't know anything about the sport personally. I can tell you that the section is definitely extensive, and covers not only getting started, but also getting sponsored and getting attention, promoting yourself. It seemed to be very logical, and not far-fetched, especially as these are things that Rob has done himself.

Using bodybuilding as activism was really great to read about. For me, it ties in with motivation and dedication, since if you consider using your own body as billboard for veganism, then you really feel dedicated to making it happen, and you feel like you're letting the cause down if you screw up. Rob explains how the image of vegans needs to change, in order to get non-vegans to see the movement in a more positive way.

In each section, things are broken down in detail, and then there is a recap on the most important things to take away, so it all sticks in your head, and you can go back to the recaps later to remind yourself of what you need to do.

Rob goes out of his way to mention others who are doing the same thing, the book is not just about him and his success. However, he is not afraid to use himself as a role model for you to follow. Many times he gives the message of "if I can do it, so can you" basically.

I would suggest that perhaps some diagrams for the exercises would have made it clearer for people who are new to bodybuilding. There could be a particular reason for leaving this kind of in-depth information out, perhaps to make room and just cut down. But I felt it would have made it more of a complete guide. Especially as there will be people picking up this book who really are new to it all.

The only other thing that bugged me very slightly, was that it was like 99% business, and not very much humour. I know this is serious business, and Rob wants to be taken seriously, but I felt there was more room for some sarcasm, or just a bit more fun. Those who pick up this book may not be looking for that, but I feel like I've come to know him pretty well (even though I've never met him...) and he has a sense of humour that seems to have been held back a bit, which is a bit of a shame.

The read was refreshing, and I haven't seen anything else like this before. To those on this forum, it all makes perfect sense, but to the world at large, "vegan bodybuilding" is still a paradox. This book spells it all out, cuts through the bullshit, and leaves no room for any doubt. I was especially relieved that, while the book does indeed cater for people who are new to the movement and to bodybuilding, it does not hold your hand and it is not in the least bit simplistic or condescending. Nothing is left out, and the tiniest details are addressed. Choose to ignore them if you want to, get from the book what you want, or follow it 100%, it will benefit you.