Go to gym or exercise at home?

VelvetVoices

Who here works out at home or goes to the gym? or both?

About 7 years ago I tried the gym thing for around 1 1/2 years; it was over crowed half the time, the movement didn't feel natural/correct on some machines, didn't enjoy my experience there. I didn't pay for the gym membership so it was no loss except after I started gaining weight.

With my dislike for the gym I invested in some rollerblades two years ago, loss 43lbs and just recently became interested in lifting weights. I've just slowly started lifting weights but I'm enjoying it way more then when I was at the gym.

What's been your experience of gym/home workout?

I work at a university and have use of their gyms, so I lift weights there with a coworker. I have a treadmill at home which I found through craigslist for like $150.

I have been looking at other jobs and thinking about buying either a squat or power rack. I already have an oly barbell set which doesn't get much use (since I use the gym for that currently). There's not much I'm interested in doing that I can't do with a barbell set and a rack.

In the winter I work out at the university gym doing weights, cardio, spin classes, and swimming. The fee is included in our tuition.

Now that it's summer I can't stand to be in the gym. The only thing I go for now is swimming. Everything else is outside. I'm not currently lifting although I probably should be. I like to focus on lifting in the winter and cardio in the summer.

I got a gym membership cause I couldn't afford a decent setup (power rack/oly weights). By now I've probably paid more than that and still no closer to getting one, but I like where I go.. it's not a commercial gym and there's plently of free weights, etc. I like the environment so the only reason I would switch to a home gym would be cost.

I have been looking at other jobs and thinking about buying either a squat or power rack.
I was also investing in a power rack or half rack, only thing holding me back is I live in an apartment and space is not the best.

Gonna still look around for prices.

my best physique was when i was working out in a gym. i'm actually thinking of joining the local college like i did a few years back. if you go during the day and spring/summer it's almost always empty, and it's $250 for a year so can't beat that. i have tried working out at home but never found a perfect feel to it, probably because i can't find a spot which i can call "the workout spot". the garage gets dusty (allergies), basement got renovated (don't wanna ruin the new floors), etc...

I work out at home. I have Powerblocks for weights, a power tower with assistance for pull ups, and a variety of bands and mats. I will occasionally use the gym in winter when biking or running is not possible because of weather. But it has to be pretty bad, otherwise I go snowshoeing. For the most part, I dislike the gym. Seems more like a pickup joint than a place to work out.

I use gyms because I don't have the room for a power rack where I live. One thing I really like about going to the gym is that, once you get your butt out the door, you've committed to a proper workout. I'm not going to go all the way there to pansy out on the 2nd exercise and sit down in front of the TV. But when I tried working out at home, there was always the temptation to take it easy/end the workout early.

I workout at home and love it. When I'm in the mood for working out I don't have to travel or wait for equipment or deal with people.

Phone/MSN off, music on. Time to work. I don't generally grunt/shout too much but if I need to occasionally to squeeze out an extra rep at least I don't feel like a moron haha. (and i can pull as stupid a face as i want).

I have quite a bit of gear now, when I added it all up it came to a lot, about £800. But I don't really need anything else now.

Power rack (with pullup bar)

Bench (adjustable to incline/decline)

6ft olympic barbell

2x25kg + 2x20kg bumper plates (olympic)

2x15kg, 4x10kg, 4x5kg, 4x2.5kg, 4x1.25kg plates (olympic)

20kg standard dumbbell set with additional 4x5kg plates

Thick rubber mat for floor protection

Dipping belt

Olypmic dumbbell handles

Stationary bike

After another 1.5-2 years a gym membership will have cost as much probably, and I'll always have it.

My enthusiasm for working out at home is minimal compared to being at the gym. I don't know if it's because there are no distractions, or maybe just being somewhere else and being more awake/alert, or the convenience of everything being there, all different weights already and different machines, I don't know... but when I am at the gym I get way more done. If I had all the same stuff at home, maybe it'd be different, but I've never had that much, just the basics and it doesn't inspire me as much I guess.

Neither. I love being outside! Although most times when I am outside, home is close by.I think it might be the fact of having been in the Army and me being shown fitness in an outdoor setting. I work in a gym and even on my breaks, there are some days I will take my workout outside. I love it!

I've even taken some of my clients outdoors. They love the change of pace. We will still get a weight workout in by benches, bike racks ( makes a great intro pullup bar) swings(just like the ab roller!) slides,( I also had one of my clients practice her pullups by lying on the slide while holding onto the handles and pulling herself up...she can now do them without the slide!) etc.

In fact going to run to the park now for my jump rope/pullup/pushup/squat circuit workout.