CHUNKY!! HELP with diet.. GROSS Picture...

I have become Vegan for health reasons. My cholesterol is pretty high and I am borderline diabetic. I'm not super over weight or anything like that but it is obvious that in my life I have not made the best food decisions. I posted this picture out of desperation. I have not eaten today because I feel that I am eating incorrectly. I have gained about 6 pounds since I became totally Vegan and now I'm just afraid to eat! If I eat only veggies I will lose muscle? Please help!! What should I eat as a guideline. I don't have any protein supplements I just ordered sun warrior but I have to wait. I also ordered Robert Cheeke's book but until I receive it I am so confused. I hope someone can give me some guidance!!

fatness.jpg.3f4c6eccd1f887adbff71ff0a10c7bf8.jpg

I think you look pretty good honestly. I can see you have muscle mass, so you won't have to lose much bodyfat at all to get that to show.

Being a vegan will lower your cholesterol indefinitely because plant foods do not contain cholesterol. Don't be afraid to eat, my dear. Make healthier decisions and become more active. You must be active enough to get a body like that! Again, I think you look great. So, just avoid processed or refined foods and focus on getting your fruits, veggies, and proteins and you should be fine.

What are you doing for exercise right now?

Right now I'm starting Bikram Yoga. I used to do it about a year and a half ago and I was pretty lean and then it came summer and I thought I would die in that hot room. But I'm starting again. I have to get my body in order. I also started eating mostly veggies and legumes not too much fruit and lastly very few nuts. When i get my sun warrior protein i will lay off the nuts and beans.My cholesterol was very high I hope it lowered I havent checked. But without meats and dairy I think it has no choice but to lower!!

Of course your cholesterol will become normal on a vegan diet. I guess it won't take time.

Concerning losing bodyfat, just remove some of the calorie dense foods of your diet like seeds/nuts, dried fruits, junk food and processed food, or large serving size of rice/pastas etc... And eat more fruits, veggies, sprouts, young shoots, etc... To lose fat easily while eating as much as you want you can try a low-fat raw vegan diet. Try also interminent fasting, for instance eat the last meal at 8 pm and the next meal at noon.

To answer your question, if you eat only veggies you will not lose muscles unless you do this for many days or weeks in a row, but even a few days, you will lose mostly bodyfat, since it made for this kind of situation. If you use your muscles, your body has some kind of intelligence to know that it needs those muscles so it will use bodyfat as fuel. But of course it will need to use muscles at some point to use protein for making hair, new skin and cells...and muscles. That's why when eating only veggies or a very low calorie diet for many days it is better to add some protein shakes too in order to maintain muscle mass.

While you wait for your book, here's some ideas: large salads, all kinds of salads: green salads with 1 avocado, parsley, herbs, dressing: seasonnings, Bragg's liquid aminos, cider vinegar... Throw all kinds of whole fresh products in a salad : pineapple, corn, sweet peas, tomatoes, cucumber... Carrot salad with raw almonds or sun-dried raisins. Beet salad with walnuts or pumpkin seeds... Sandwiches with lots of veggies, stuffed with a seasonned soft tofu based or an avocado sandwiche; you can replace bread by rice paper or make sushi with nori (not even need rice): nori, cucumber/avocado sushi...

... styr-frys, and other recipies of Japanese cuisine.

Eat a lot of fruits, but not too much dates, bananas, dried figs and raisins, avoid other dried fruits.

If you wanna keep it simple and take a break you can do things like: 1 day only watermelon. Second day only lettuce and protein shakes. Third day only apples. You can do 5 days only grapes (green, red, black, whole, juiced...)

Wow a lot of helpful advice!!! I actually do pretty well on a raw diet. I enjoy the juicing of greens and I have some sort of spinach thing going on right now. I heard spinach has a lot of Iron and I am anemic so maybe I need it? I was afraid to stop eating the nuts and beans because of the protein content that I need. But I see that I'm an extremist I cant just eat a little bit. Today I ate raw cashews which led to almond butter and I was about to eat a peanut butter sandwich but I realized what was going on.. I will try going raw for the most part but I would like to at least eat tofu. It seems to have a lot of protein for not so much calories unlike nuts. I haven't tried rice paper but if its crispy I will definetly eat it. I miss veggie egg rolls I used to eat. Your meal ideas are very helpful and I havent actually tried any of the combinations you listed above. I have a vegan recipe book but they actually do a lot of baking and to me that will lead to lots of pounds being that I love breads and such. I cut out bread right now to reduce this belly. I can eat about 2 lbs of spinach in 2 meals!! So big salads will not be a problem I get into the salad groove and my family stares at me cuz they cant believe I enjoy it! Ive never actually tried just eating one thing a day. hmmmm.. I may try it... thank you for your advice I really need it!

Hi there,

I just want to add that beans and nuts aren't the same thing (you seem to say above that you are cutting back on both nuts AND beans). I would certainly advise you to cut back on nuts as they are very high in calories (a few are fine, but don't have too many!), beans are a great food for weight loss! They have fibre and make you feel full. They are not high in fat like nuts. They have protein and carbs, two things you need for exercising!

I agree with what Lobsterific says about Nuts / Beans...

tried2manytimes, even eating raw does not mean its a perfect diet many raw foodists start eating tons of avocados, seeds and nuts or dishes made of those. One's gotta make sure to eat plenty of sweet fruits to avoid this, like pineapple, strawberries, etc and lots of greens.

Okay so I have been eating 1200 calories for about 2 weeks.. On the bright side my skin looks great and I feel better. But here is the thing.. I have not lost a SINGLE pound.. WTF??? AND my waist has not lost a single INCH... Could it be that my metabolism is so slow after having my baby that I'm stuck in a rut? I know I should be more patient after all whats 2 weeks.. But I feel like in the past if I ate well and exercised I dropped weight like nothing. Whats happening? Should I go on a juice feast or something? What can I do friends? Puhleez Help!!!

:evil: Okay so I have been eating 1200 calories for about 2 weeks.. On the bright side my skin looks great and I feel better. But here is the thing.. I have not lost a SINGLE pound.. WTF??? AND my waist has not lost a single INCH... Could it be that my metabolism is so slow after having my baby that I'm stuck in a rut? I know I should be more patient after all whats 2 weeks.. But I feel like in the past if I ate well and exercised I dropped weight like nothing. Whats happening? Should I go on a juice feast or something? What can I do friends? Puhleez Help!!!

You just had a baby? Actually if that's your after baby pic...I'm jealous! Just think..it took 9 months to put on weight to carry your baby. Don't rush things! It took me a year and 4 months to take off my baby weight plus weight I gained after baby! And I'm ......30 something and had a C-section. But I look better now than I did before baby.

Word of advice from one who has been there. Don't rush it. Take your time. Enjoy your baby. Enjoy your body. Yes. Enjoy it even now.(I sure do miss my old bra size..lol!) I did it slow and now don't have to fight with my weight, don't have the dreaded skin sag and no stretch marks. I have friends who had kids, rushed to take off the pounds...got frustrated and are still yo-yoing with weight years after baby. So many of my friends ask how I am keeping it off. All I can say is- one day at a time. I started with little goals that were acheivable.

Also, are you breastfeeding? I am actually surprised not one person yet has said anything about it, especially since you just stated it's been 2 weeks since having a baby? If so, then I would not advise going on any kind of diet. Just eat healthy and keep moving.

Its been 4 months since I had my baby . I went back to being vegan about a month now and 2 weeks that I'm counting calories. 2 weeks after I had my baby I weighed 127 pounds. In about a month I went up about 16 pounds and have not been able to go down again. I failed to mention that I also went back to work and my job is very sedentary. I think thats whats keeping my weight up. Its so depressing. Not so much the weight but being away from my little one and dealing with an office job. I love to move to be busy and active and this job is none of the above. I wish I could change my career.

Don't restrict calories too much if you're breastfeeding, and definitely don't go on a low-fat raw diet if you're breast feeding. Without sufficient calories and nutrients, you'll not only produce crappy milk, but you'll dry up too.

Increase your caloric intake for your child's best interest. Worry about aesthetics later.

A note about your anemia: Limit your soy intake and increase your intake of beans (which are high in iron) leafy greens, and nuts such as almonds. Soy inhibits the absorption of iron. Vitamin C improves it. When you eat an iron-rich meal such as a spinach salad, throw some peppers in there or some berries. Make sure you're taking your prenatal vitamins too.

When you say beans, can you tell me what types of beans? Is can beans good or are you referring to frozen or what? I need help in this area.

Thanks

I just want to add that beans and nuts aren't the same thing (you seem to say above that you are cutting back on both nuts AND beans). I would certainly advise you to cut back on nuts as they are very high in calories (a few are fine, but don't have too many!), beans are a great food for weight loss! They have fibre and make you feel full. They are not high in fat like nuts. They have protein and carbs, two things you need for exercising!

Wow.. I have been eating so much soy and lately I have been feeling sooooo drab.. I do eat a lot of spinach but I will cut back on the tofu and the soy milk.. As far as breast feeding I have tons of white juicy milk (sorry for the details) it seems that all the leafy greens and such are making better milk.. Or so I think. I did lose some weight.. I'm down to 137 from 143. So not too bad.. I like beans but sometimes they are SO heavy to eat I feel bloated with them especially since they are from the jar.. I wish I had time to soak and pressure cook them.. I will try to make the time.. I will have some more progress pics shortly.. I think I can go raw with my protein (sun warrior raw vegan protein) but I'm not sure yet.. I have to see how I feel energy wise....

I wish I could change my career.

Try !

definitely don't go on a low-fat raw diet if you're breast feeding. Without sufficient calories and nutrients, you'll not only produce crappy milk, but you'll dry up too.

Increase your caloric intake for your child's best interest. Worry about aesthetics later.

One can eat enough calories on a low-fat raw vegan diet, like by eating bananas; and concerning nutrients, low fat raw foods are the most dense nutrient foods on Earth, like watermelon, romaine lettuce, wheat grass juice, barley grass juice, sprouts and young shoots, etc...

Everything (except the beans) you suggest here is raw :

A note about your anemia: Limit your soy intake and increase your intake of beans (which are high in iron) leafy greens, and nuts such as almonds. Soy inhibits the absorption of iron. Vitamin C improves it. When you eat an iron-rich meal such as a spinach salad, throw some peppers in there or some berries. Make sure you're taking your prenatal vitamins too.

Don't restrict calories too much if you're breastfeeding, and definitely don't go on a low-fat raw diet if you're breast feeding. Without sufficient calories and nutrients, you'll not only produce crappy milk, but you'll dry up too.

I definately agree. Worry about aesthetics later. I still looked pregnant a year after I gave birth...and honey, for just giving birth you look fabulous. The thing that helped me lose weight wasn't doing two things at once. First, I was breastfeeding ( I breastfed for 3 years, 1 yr exclusively. I was a nurse at the time,so it wasn't a sit down job but it was highly stressful)so I wasn't going to put myself on a diet. I needed energy for my patients and for my son. What I did after I took that godawful look in the mirror and saw that I weighed more after baby than before was increase my activity.Without changing diet ...I went from 180 to 130. (Ok,,,i did cut out my late night dessert and stopped drinking soda...but dietwise that was it! I kept everything the same) It took me a year. A year may seem long to you...but trust me, it's not.

AFter that I trained to run chicago marathon 2006. I was upset that I didn't lose any weight but I didn't gain either....

What I didn't see was that the endurance I got from marathon training grew exponentially even without weight loss which benefitted me in the months and yes...years.. ahead. My legs were strong and this helped with my after marathon weight loss when I finally combined my cardio with strength training.

I get alot of comments on my legs and butt now, actually almost daily!...lol(Rare for a half filipina girl to get compliments on the derriere! The stereotype is asian women(even us halfers, don't have one. Definately wrong!) I am always asked what I do for that. I can give them the spiel on my exercises, but a part of me knows that a few years ago...the training for the marathon in which I thought I gained nothing ,had a big part in the physique I have today.

So don't beat yourself up if you don't see the scale move down. You are building a foundation that can last you years, even if you don't see the results quickly. (I'm guessing you are in your 20's?) I'm in my uh.....my 30's and I love people thinking I am still rocking my 20's. So build that foundation without hurting yourself and your new baby with nutrition deficients. Learn to love the legumes! Just don't give up. Think about walking down the beach with your son/daughter when he's 5 and people asking you if you are the nanny..because you look too darn young to be the mommy..!

I love it!

It's one thing to rock a bikini sans kid. Quite another to rock a bikini post c-section with your 5 yr old in tow. Take your time, don't obsess about the weight, especially if you don't see changes immediately. Remember your hormones, even months afte birth, are still trying to even out. Your body will bounce back. Think of your body as a bank account. You might put in a few dollars every day and still think you are poor...but in a year with that interest growing you will see changes. Just take your time. Like I said above, marathon training for months did nothing(or so I thought) then a month or two AFTER the race my body went into overdrive metabolically! Surprised the crap out of me! So don't give up. This mommy is rooting for you.

I wish I could change my career.

Try !

definitely don't go on a low-fat raw diet if you're breast feeding. Without sufficient calories and nutrients, you'll not only produce crappy milk, but you'll dry up too.

One can eat enough calories on a low-fat raw vegan diet, like by eating bananas; and concerning nutrients, low fat raw foods are the most dense nutrient foods on Earth, like watermelon, romaine lettuce, wheat grass juice, barley grass juice, sprouts and young shoots, etc...

Everything (except the beans) you suggest here is raw :

It's the "low fat" part that concerns me the most. Fats are important, and many people fail to realize this. Omega 3s are hard to get enough of on a vegan diet. I think you have "calorie dense" confused with "nutrient dense".

I didn't see you mention avocado, or oils such as flax, hemp, and olive oils which should be added into the diet for healthy monounsaturated fats.

On a side note, kidney beans are very high in iron, as is oatmeal, brown rice, spinach, and other things. It's tough to get your iron stores back up without supplementation so I recommend taking a multivitamin that contains iron as well.

I had low iron myself after a pretty radical unhealthy diet I went through several months ago (of course the diet had hardly any effect, besides being bad for my health), and what really helped me getting my iron back up was blackstrap molasses.

I would put 2 tsp of molasses in a glass, mix with a bit of hot water (like 2 tbsp or something like that), and add orange juice. I guess it's not a taste everyone enjoys, but I really loved it!

I really like molasses.. As far as my career.. Its hard changing I have 2 kids to support. Ahhh.. If only I was independently wealthy.. LOL... I think what I am most upset about is the fact that I looked better right after I had my son then 2 months after! I dont know what happened! My stomach was pretty flat I was a nice weight and then boom all the sudden I gain so much weight and my stomach is so pouchy... The thing is that I am TINY I'm 5 feet tall and any additional weight really shows..5 feet and 137 pounds I think is just TOO much weight. AND I just look tinier.. When I was younger the most I ever weighed was 118 even after my first child in which I went up to 185!! I promptly lost the weight and was down to 104 in about 6 months. I did have a very active career so I guess that helped a lot.

On tuesday I start Yoga and I'm getting a trainer. I think Its the only way. As far as the diet I don't eat much but I guess I have a lot to burn off... My son is very chunky and healthy.. LOL! so I think the milk is probably pretty good. Thanks you guys for all your support I really appreciate it. Its hard to try to figure what is going on with my body... Maybe is hormonal or something. I'm 31 by the way.. Everyone thinks I'm in my early 20's but I'm not.. Maybe its the 30's kicking in making losing weight very difficult. I dunno.. Its a mystery to me.

It's the "low fat" part that concerns me the most. Fats are important, and many people fail to realize this. Omega 3s are hard to get enough of on a vegan diet. I think you have "calorie dense" confused with "nutrient dense".

I didn't see you mention avocado, or oils such as flax, hemp, and olive oils which should be added into the diet for healthy monounsaturated fats.

Yes fats are important, and many people eat way too much fat, and they are too fat. Most people don't eat the right fats, they eat deep fried stuff and saturated animal fats... I LOVE avocados, I eat 1-2 each day and I put hemp seeds in everything from salads to cereals. I like olive oil, almonds, etc. I eat these things every day. I'm not really on a low-fat diet right now, I don't count the caloric ratio, but on a low-fat raw vegan diet there is still 1-2 avocados or seeds/nuts each day, about 10% of daily calories. Also many fruits contain fats: durian is 30%, Strawberries are 8% fat, blueberry is 5%, so you get fat during the day without knowing it. Some algae are rich in DHA and hemp, soy lecithin, etc provides high quality fats, so you don't need to eat a lot of it. Fats are important but it does not mean we need a lot of it. Enough is best, too much is too much. We need less fat than carbs and proteins. An healthy human body is about 80% water and 5-20% fat, that is exactly what the low-fat raw vegan diet gives.

I don't think i'm confused with "calorie dense" and "nutrient dense"... Usually, calorie dense food is lower in nutrient and nutrient dense food is low in calories. Your diet needs to be high in nutrient dense food which is low in calorie and smaller servings of calorie dense food in order to get enough calories and nutrients otherwise if your diet is high in calorie dense food and low in nutrient dense food, you get enough or too much calories and not enough of certain vitamins and minerals.

Hi, I'm your man. I actually understood that. I try not to eat too much food and make sure I have a variety of foods throughout the day and not too much fats. I tried eating at some vegan restaurants and I find that they tend to fry things to much like the tofu and other items they also put way too much sweet sauces on the food but sometimes its hard to find a good vegan meal. Like today I ran out of my staples. and I try not to eat canned or processed food. but I don't have the time all the time to cook. So i just had some protein and a veggie wrap at ikea. I start Yoga tomorrow and I'm down to 135. so I guess not too bad.

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone has given you great advice. I also put in an order for Robert's book! Yeah, I'm excited. Another book to check out is The Engine 3 Diet. It's about a fire station, in Texas of all places, that went vegetarian because one of the guys had high cholesterol, etc. Maybe your library has it or you can browse through it at a bookstore if you don't want to buy it. But the short story is that the fire station went veg., firefighters lost weight and dropped their cholesterol.

For me, going vegan means freedom. I like being free to eat what I like knowing I'm always putting good stuff in my body. Now, instead of watching calories, I look at total nutritional value. Brendan Brazier has a name for it in his Thrive book. Of course I'll remember later.