NO MORE SCALES!!

I have about 4 different scales in the house. I'm tired of them. They mess with my mind. Judge my progress and undermine my success. I will no longer step on the scale everyday. 1x a month is all that scale is going to get. On top of it all I have this Tanita scale that just reads back to me your too fat. Its like I gained one pound or gained 2 percent fat or WHATEVER.. Its crazy.. NO MAS>>

That's right. The scale only tells you how much you weigh, not how you look or how you feel. Scales are good as a data point, but focus more on what you see in the mirror and how you feel to track your progress.

Also most scales are precise but not necessarily accurate. If you are going to weigh yourself (once a week at the most!) use the SAME scale. Those tanita body fat measuring ones are also not extremely accurate and all they are doing is giving you a number. According to mine I once gained a pound of fat by taking a shower. Again they can be useful for long-term reference but don't give them the power they don't deserve!

Yeah, scales can really give bad info. I didn't work out for many months and I stayed the same weight of around 165. When I started working out again, I immediately jump up to around 175. I assume this is because of water retention because my muscles are damaged during workouts and the water surrounds it like any other injury. But I can sure see how people get discouraged quickly when they first start working out.

I used to be that way about the scale as well. Back before the Army I was 110. I went into the military and got in really good shape and came out 120. So did I weigh more? Yes. Did I look better. Oh yeah. After the military though I actually lost wt. Went down to 104. I looked horrific. I left all my military training and forgot about all those bodywt exercises like pushups, squats and pullups and just became cardio queen. I look at my pics and I seem to have no muscle whatsoever. Then I had baby and got to almost 180. I really became obsessed with the scale then. I eventually got to 110 and became too obsessed with getting back to my prebaby wt of 104.

Eventually I got a personal trainer who made my self do pullups and made me stop getting on that scale and obsessing about the numbers. He wanted me to focus on my bodyfat composition instead.

As a 104 lb person...I couldn't do a pullup. not even a negative. I had a flat stomach then...but not those lines..sigh.

I'm 20 lbs more now and am in the best shape I have ever been in. Including when I was in the Army.

I can knock out pullups like no one's business. My abs are now sharp. Do I fluctuate with weight every now and then? Yeah...depending on the time of the month. but I don't beat myself up about it.

I have two friends who are also trainers that measure my bodyfat at least once a month. Much more important than wt and alot more accurate than those scales that can be very off when telling you your bf composition.

I'd rather be 124 lbs and be able to do pullups than 104 lbs and lift purple 5 lbs wts. Even so...I sometimes feel that pressure to be even lighter....I have to remember that being strong is so much better than weight. Once you are strong your physique will follow!

Edited by apriltrainer

It was talking to me today.. Saying just go on.. Take a PEEK.. LOL!! but I refused!! It really does mess with your emotions. To me I don't mind gaining weight I just don't like the idea that i'm FAT. When I use the Tanita scale and it says 31% fat its like what the??? I want to be HEALTHY with normal cholesterol beautiful skin and a small waist.. LOL! Screw that darn scale!!

April thanks for mentioning that... I need to also let go of the # and really work on the body fat %. I'm having a really hard time making it to enough calories though. I'm worried I won't see toned, or weight loss results, if I'm not eating at least the fewest number of calories per day. I will say though, that all of my food is very nutrient dense.... do you think that'll make a difference?