General health question regarding energy/testosterone

Hey, I know this might come off as kind of silly and I did search this up to see if there was any prior information. I became a vegan a little over a month ago and over the period of the month it's just felt like I've become more tired in general and less turned on. I'm thinking it's most likely a problem with taking two weeks off of working out for a tour and then only working out lightly about once every 3 days. I don't know if it's my diet or my drastic change in working out. Any thoughts?

Congratulations on doing a search, that puts you ahead of many people.

Lack of energy could be many things in your diet and beyond your diet.

Since you are a new vegan you should verse yourself with good nutrition information from credentialed and reliable sources. There is lots of BS about nutrition on and off the web. For that, I recommend you read this short link and keep a food diary for two weeks to get you in the habit of making the right choices:

http://beforewisdom.com/blog/?page_id=462

Some people just don't eat enough when they switch.

If you ever get worried about testosterone, especially with soy and testosterone the FASTEST way for you to settle that issue is get the hell off the internet, make a doctors appointment and get a test.

I have yet to hear of any vegan coming back from such an appointment with a problem.

Good luck and congratulations on becoming vegan

I'm guessing it's got to do with my slacking in workouts and probably eating wayy too much chinese food instead of normal meals. I'm gonna do the diary idea/read up the rest when I'm on my computer (instead of my phone). I'm also trying to get more real meals cooked at home instead of eating garbage.

Okay, so I've also done more research about this. Apparently eggs/dairy have zinc+b vitamins that are pretty important to producing testosterone? Maybe the sudden switch in my diet is hitting me? Does anyone know from experience anything about this? Does it get better? I've also made an appointment with my doctor to get my levels checked.

chinese food is bad because of MSG which probably makes you feel weak. i know some stuff about macrobiotics and according to that MSG is very yin energy, that weakens your body. Chinese food is also very greasy, which again is very yin.

Junk vegan can be worse than "healthy" meat-diary diet sometimes. Be patient and learn how to cook properly, it is not complicated to do every day, once you master it. I recommend http://www.amazon.com/Aveline-Kushis-Complete-Macrobiotic-Cooking/dp/0446386340

Cook your own food that is more yang and strengthening: quinoa, millet, buckwheat, lentils, etc. (plenty of zinc here!) Also cooked root vegetables: carrots, turnips, burdock...

I eat almost 99 percent vegan for more than 5 years and my testosterone is very good;)

Take-out chinese makes me feel like crap as well, but I don't think it's the MSG. Most places in the US don't use MSG anymore because of some crazy news stories about it being harmful years ago.

But if you don't have an intolerance for it, MSG is fine. It pops up a lot in spanish spice mixes around here.

I bet it's the high amounts of soybean oil and salt, but not specifically MSG.

yes, MSG is everywhere in junk food. It makes everything taste 10 times better. I heard it's cancerogenic and that it induces allergies.

You can use crushed kombu seaweed for better taste, and kuzu for thickening when you prepare chinese food. Kombu has natural supstance which is similar to MSG, yet not harmful. And kombu has also good nutrients. This MSG stuff stimulates the tastebuds for umami http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umami

Anyway, nothing beats home cooked meal! Like todays whole grain spaghetti with lentils bolognese:))))

Basically, you just cook lentil, drain them and use as minced meat in calassical bolognese recipe. It's perfeeect! It has also all amino-acids.

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/4241/malit.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ahaha, I do know how to cook. I've cut back on the chinese binge and now I'm feeling super great. Everything in that area seems to be working fine too, ahahahaha. I've still got to go for the blood work to check everything which I'm gonna do anyway.

That recipe you suggested looks so good. I've already got my meals planned for like the next two days but I'm definitely trying that soon. Stuffed shells today for dinner. Yum!