Hello, doing p90x

shine

Hi Shine,

I am doing P90X as well, but I ignored the diet plan. I focus on a variety of nutrients over protein, but I do use some hemp and rice protein powder. I avoid the processed foods as much as possible because I never lost any weight, and they were bad for my energy. I stick to fresh fruits and veggies, and occasionally cook up some lentils, peas, or corn. I originally went from around 195 when I started, dropped down to 165, and I have bulked up to about 170 now.

I think the exercise program is excellent. I just finally got to the point that I can go all the way through Plyo without hitting pause. Yoga still gives me a tough time because I have crappy balance. I spend more time falling over then in the poses.

If you haven't started yet, you might want to consider just doing half a workout for the first week or two. When I started it the first time, I went through the whole Chest & Back the first day, and was pretty sore on the second day when I did Plyo. On the third day, I couldn't move. I was so sore that I didn't want to leave bed. LOL Of course, this really made me not want to work out for quite a while.

If you haven't started yet, you might want to consider just doing half a workout for the first week or two. When I started it the first time, I went through the whole Chest & Back the first day, and was pretty sore on the second day when I did Plyo. On the third day, I couldn't move. I was so sore that I didn't want to leave bed. LOL Of course, this really made me not want to work out for quite a while.

Oh I started. I made it through the first week and now I am on to the second! I didn't have a pull-up bar so for the first week I switched the 1st day with the 3rd. I am so glad I did. That is a hard work out. So far I am loving it! and yes, I was very very sore. I am ready to be sore all over again. Thanks for the post.

shine

Hey nice site, you have some good recipes on there!

Thanks so much! That was what I came up with the first week. I have some other great recipes to come, and I am sure I will come up with some new things during the rest of the program. I get bored easily with food so i have to mix it up. Thank you again for looking at the site. I am new to blogging.

yeah, I was wondering about what my workouts will be like: do yo just try to follow the best you can? Hit pause button and take a break or catch up?

In the infomercial there's a big double-bacon looking dude who was saying he couldn't do it at first, but they still showed him after 30,60,90 days with amazing results.

Yes, just do the best that you can and don't try and keep up with everything. Those guys in the video can to 20 unassisted pullups up to 6 times in the videos. And they are doing 20-30 push-ups up to 12 times. I have a power power that assist me in the pullups and I still only do around 10. With the pushups, I go on my knees in the second round.

All of the weight training videos have the Ab Ripper X at the end. I actually do have the video, then Ad Ripper X, then the other half. This gives my body parts more time to rest and I can come at it stronger. Also, at the end of the video, I often am too worn out to much to do the Ab Ripper, so doing it in the middle helps me get it done.

Take it slow and don't get discouraged no matter how sore you become. I wouldn't focus on the whole 90 day thing. If you get into this workout, it will hopefull be something you do for the rest of your life.

yeah, I was wondering about what my workouts will be like: do yo just try to follow the best you can? Hit pause button and take a break or catch up?

In the infomercial there's a big double-bacon looking dude who was saying he couldn't do it at first, but they still showed him after 30,60,90 days with amazing results.

I just push through it.. I try to do the push-ups or weights well, and use good form rather than try to keep up with the people in the video. Just keep their motto in mind "do your best and forget the rest". I have been afraid of pausing because I don't want to get too cooled off.

Yesterday I started the second week and it was so much easier than the first time around. I found that this time I found myself pushing myself to do more and do better rather than just get through it.

Hi Shine,

I am doing P90X as well, but I ignored the diet plan. I focus on a variety of nutrients over protein, but I do use some hemp and rice protein powder. I avoid the processed foods as much as possible because I never lost any weight, and they were bad for my energy. I stick to fresh fruits and veggies, and occasionally cook up some lentils, peas, or corn. I originally went from around 195 when I started, dropped down to 165, and I have bulked up to about 170 now.

I think the exercise program is excellent. I just finally got to the point that I can go all the way through Plyo without hitting pause. Yoga still gives me a tough time because I have crappy balance. I spend more time falling over then in the poses.

I completely agree with processed food being crap. I wish there were better vegan high protein options. I am giving it a shot. I do mix up some lentils or garbanzo beans in the menu. and lots of veggies. The protein is so high that I still get to eat tons of veggies and stay within the ratios. I still have lots of energy, but i can't wait until i get to cut out this protein. I aslo use rice and hemp along with soy to mix it up.

I completely agree with processed food being crap. I wish there were better vegan high protein options. I am giving it a shot. I do mix up some lentils or garbanzo beans in the menu. and lots of veggies. The protein is so high that I still get to eat tons of veggies and stay within the ratios. I still have lots of energy, but i can't wait until i get to cut out this protein. I aslo use rice and hemp along with soy to mix it up.

Remember to deduct the fiber. Lentils end up being around 48% protein, 48% carbs, and 4% fat when you reduce the fiber carbs.

I don't think my protein ever gets over 20%.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Shine,

Great blog - I'll be following your journey! I'm hoping to get back into P90X this week. I had a very successful 6 week stint last fall, but fell out of the routine when school started.

This time around, I'll also be trying to stick to the diet a little more strictly. I'll be sure to share any great recipes I use and look forward to working through the program (a few weeks behind) with you.

-Tia

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Shine,

Great blog - I'll be following your journey! I'm hoping to get back into P90X this week. I had a very successful 6 week stint last fall, but fell out of the routine when school started.

This time around, I'll also be trying to stick to the diet a little more strictly. I'll be sure to share any great recipes I use and look forward to working through the program (a few weeks behind) with you.

-Tia

Hi Tia

Good luck this time around! Please share any recipes or ideas with me. I am on day 31 and loving it. The diet is so much more easier on the second month. looking forward to hearing from you on your journey.

Hi my name is shine. I just started doing p90x. I noticed there were lots of questions on this site, and a few answers. I started a blog http://p90xforvegans.blogspot.com/ it contains the breakdown of the fatshredder diet, and recipes. I love cooking and thought i would share my ideas with you. hope it helps.

Welcome. I like your blog. The P90X site really doesn't have much for vegans. It's mostly meat oriented with some token vegetarian advice tossed in. It's a start. This is a great place for vegan advice.

For diet and nutrition, check out Brendan Brazier's book, Thrive. There's one book for diet and another for workout programs.

• 2 weeks later...

I started P90X 3 weeks ago, but skipped a couple days this week. I think I was overdoing it, so I need to cut back. My main problem is that I'm in a weight-loss contest right now, and I have 3 weeks left to lose a few more pounds. I pack on muscle so quickly when working out (I lift heavy), that the scale won't move. Even though I know it's BS to base things on the number on the scale, the contest people don't have a clue. So...backing off to get my money.

I'm not as upset as I thought, though. I love the P90X program, and have bought Insanity as well so that after my round of P90X I can do a hybrid. I'm thinking these two sets of videos can be mixed and matched for the next several years.

Anyway, I'll be ready to get back into it when this stupid contest is over in 3 weeks.

Ok, maybe the $1,500 prize isn't THAT stupid!

• 4 weeks later...
Hi my name is shine. I just started doing p90x. I noticed there were lots of questions on this site, and a few answers. I started a blog http://p90xforvegans.blogspot.com/ it contains the breakdown of the fatshredder diet, and recipes. I love cooking and thought i would share my ideas with you. hope it helps.

Nice!! I am doing the Insanity program and thinking of doing a P90X/Insanity hybrid for round 2. I will definitely have to check out your blog.

Welcome aboard!

I started P90X 3 weeks ago, but skipped a couple days this week. I think I was overdoing it, so I need to cut back. My main problem is that I'm in a weight-loss contest right now, and I have 3 weeks left to lose a few more pounds. I pack on muscle so quickly when working out (I lift heavy), that the scale won't move. Even though I know it's BS to base things on the number on the scale, the contest people don't have a clue. So...backing off to get my money.

I'm not as upset as I thought, though. I love the P90X program, and have bought Insanity as well so that after my round of P90X I can do a hybrid. I'm thinking these two sets of videos can be mixed and matched for the next several years.

Anyway, I'll be ready to get back into it when this stupid contest is over in 3 weeks.

Ok, maybe the $1,500 prize isn't THAT stupid!

You're the inverse of me! When do you plan to start your hybrid?

Welcome. I like your blog. The P90X site really doesn't have much for vegans. It's mostly meat oriented with some token vegetarian advice tossed in. It's a start. This is a great place for vegan advice.

For diet and nutrition, check out Brendan Brazier's book, Thrive. There's one book for diet and another for workout programs.

I have noticed threads in both Insanity and P90X on the Team Beachbody site dedicated to vegans, so you KNOW we're not alone, at least! Amazingly enough in the recipe book they gave, they provided some vegan recipes including a dessert one. I was pleasantly impressed. That does NOT ordinarily happen.

hey guys! I just joined today (although lurked for awhile). I am a p90x and Insanity grad and mix the 2 together now. I just had shoulder surgery (hoops injury) and switched to vegan after meeting Tony and his chef (Melissa Costello/karmachow.com) at a coach event. they are both vegans and I did a cleanse with them with no gluten/caffeine/booze/animal prod/sugar. I felt so good that I have not stopped after the initial 30 days.

Its been 2 months now so I am still picking up the vegan lifestyle. Read Thrive, Engine 2, and have been a precision nutrition follower for years and Ryan Andrews is a big time vegan. I will try not to ask too many questions In the meantime, if anyone has p90x or other Beachbody questions feel free to ask!

KOOSH

hey guys! I just joined today (although lurked for awhile). I am a p90x and Insanity grad and mix the 2 together now. I just had shoulder surgery (hoops injury) and switched to vegan after meeting Tony and his chef (Melissa Costello/karmachow.com) at a coach event. they are both vegans and I did a cleanse with them with no gluten/caffeine/booze/animal prod/sugar. I felt so good that I have not stopped after the initial 30 days.

Its been 2 months now so I am still picking up the vegan lifestyle. Read Thrive, Engine 2, and have been a precision nutrition follower for years and Ryan Andrews is a big time vegan. I will try not to ask too many questions In the meantime, if anyone has p90x or other Beachbody questions feel free to ask!

KOOSH

Awesome! The mixture is what I'm planning on for myself after my first round of Insanity is over. I start Month 2 today.

Also, nice to meet a fellow BB enthusiast and neighbor.