Hello from Israel

DairyFree

Sup? My name's Roee, 18 years old from Israel and I wanna start ''Vegan Training"!

I've been a veggie since September, and stopped eating dairy since October... I don't eat much eggs at all, hardly at all to be honest.

Well, I'm a bit chubby and I wanna lose some weight and, well, be fit!

In Israel, you must join the army at the age of 18-19, or when they recruit you, for 3 years. I wanna be in a wee good shape for the army and just be fit.. I wanted to veganize when I join the army, but I figured, why wait? I can just do it now!

So do you guys have any tips for a beginner? Any tips for supplements (B12, Soy Protein, Amino Acids, etc) I could take?

What should my diet be based on? I could really use some tips guys.. Thanks!

P.S: As soon as I start training I will take weekly pictures of myself and post them here, to see how I progress.

Last thing, pardon my non-perfect English..

Ok, thanks alot!

Hello Roee.

I would advise you to take a multi-vitamin and mineral tablet each day. If you don't have a good source of iodine in your diet, you should probably take a kelp tablet each day, too.

I know some people don't like vitamin and mineral tablets but the nutrients in many foods have fallen over the last 100 years or so, according to some estimates. I take them to be on the safe side and also because my diet is not as good as it could be.

My ideal diet (for the way I live and train) would be quite simple - lots of vegetables and fruits, and nuts, raisins, wholemeal bread, porridge, rice, lentils, and soya milk for my tea.

Your English is very good.

Will it be easy to keep to a vegan diet in the army?

Chalom Roee

I went to Israel quite a few times (I can even speak Hebrew... not much but a bit)

I like this country, and many persons in my family live there.

Nice to meet you ! Good luck for the army, must be though

I know some people don't like vitamin and mineral tablets but the nutrients in many foods have fallen over the last 100 years or so, according to some estimates. I take them to be on the safe side and also because my diet is not as good as it could be.

Some people like vitamin and mineral supplements. Leading health authorities and people who keeps up with research don't. And you're def not on any "safe side" just because you're taking a multi.

I don't want to hijack this thread but I want to make a couple of points clear as they might help Roee. Or they might not.

I just want to make sure I don't miss any vital nutrients. My diet is usually very poor. For decades I have often gone for long periods where my only food is bread/toast with tahini, raisins and nuts, tea and soya milk, and perhaps one or two apples a day. The occasional banana. Perhaps a cooked meal with some green veg, carrots and potatoes once a week. Sometimes twice a week. Sometimes no cooked meal for two weeks. More recently, I've been having cooked tomatoes on toast with olive oil once or twice a week as part of my cooked meals.

I doubt if I have a regular adequate supply of beta carotene or pro-vitamin A in my unsupplemented diet. My vitamin C intake could be on the low side at times without tablets. I also have no preformed source of DHA or EPA but obviously manage to convert enough for my needs as I am very healthy. I am thinking of getting some algae capsules. Just thinking.

I need a supplement for vitamin D because, due to a back injury and my lifestyle, I hardly get any sunlight. Consequently, I am rather pale-looking. No, I'm not a vampire.

I am also concerned that the fruit and vegetables I eat might have been picked many days or even weeks before I get my hands on them.

Despite all this, I am extremely healthy, full of energy and strong. I think my supplements help me to remain so as my diet isn't really always adequate.

Some studies have found the benefits of taking supplements. Some haven't. It might depend on the study design or the starting levels of nutrients in the subjects. Some of those that found benefit were partly funded by vitamin sellers, but not many other private organisations would fund such studies.

It's not always easy to know if the results of a study are accurate. Even the reviewers in journals have to rely on the data supplied by the authors - which could be wrong. We have to decide if we believe the authors just as we have to decide if we believe other authors who said things to the contrary. I often contend that the only way to know if a study's results are accurate is to do the study yourself. I can't conduct medical studies, so I need to decide which studies to believe.

• 1 year later...

Major bump here... I did join the army 6 months ago, and now I wanna start working out.. Well, problem is that being vegan in the army is hard as it is, so how am I supposed to get fit and shaped? Please don't forget I can't eat every 3 hours and such since I just don't have much time.. Well I just need some help I'll try and visit the forum on a daily basis, with determination and with hope to achieve my goal

Hi bro I am from Israel aswell

You don't have any stores in the area where you are located ?

You could also try and get Dark leafy green vegetables, tahini, almonds, nuts, seeds, different sprouts.

If you cant cook there at all you could try more raw nutrition.

First I think you should actually make a list for yourself. If you can't cook there you can start with some of the stuff mentioned earlier in this thread.

different fruits, veggies, whole grain breads, nut butters, Dark leafy green vegetables, tahini, almonds, nuts, seeds, different sprouts.

If you have at least a microwave you could somehow manage and bring with you frozen beans,peas, chickpeas...

Might be tricky though to keep cool for 5 hours drive.

• 2 months later...

Hey,

More Israelis here, cool.

Did you get officially recognized by the army as a vegan? You should if you haven't so far. It's kind of an intentionally difficult procedure (doable) but they give you like extra 600 NIS per month to buy food.

...and then you don't have to wear leather shoes either.

Oh, and also, you can bring anything that needs cooling with you quite easily.

Just freeze like 2-3 bottles of 1.5 litters and wrap them and the food in a clean sweater or a towel or something like that (for insulation) and put it in the middle of your bag. Like carrying a cooler, only practical.

• 3 months later...