Organic vs Conventional food

VelvetVoices

When someone would bring up organic, first word that would pop into my head was "healthier" but is it really? A year or two ago remember hearing about a study that concluded that organic food isn't nutritional healthier but pesticides was never taken into account.

So what's VBB opinion on the topic? Do you buy organic? Has there been any studies of the affects of these pesticides on humans?

I buy as much organically grown food that I can. I know some foods like blueberries are loaded with pesticides, but others like apples are more resistant to absorbing the pesticides. However, those pesticides all end up in out water eventually. But no, I don't believe organic food has any more nutrition.

We have a small grocer here in Colorado which carries 100% organic fruit and vegetables. There organic produce is cheaper than conventional produce at most other grocery store, especially whole foods. Plus, we have a lot of farmers markets where you can get organically grown foods even though they are not "certified".

It is really hard to find organic produce where I live. What is available is generally of poor quality. I wouldn't mind paying more for it if it was decent quality...so I buy most things conventional. I try to buy organic greens though.

For dried goods (e.g., beans, lentils, etc.) I usually buy conventional. Mostly because that is what is available at the stores I shop at.

I don't know how I feel about organic versus conventional in terms of nutrition.

Often with watery produce I can taste a difference, so maybe something has something the other does not.

Organic is better for the planet and food security.

I also like reducing the insecticides I consume as some are quite serious.

I'll buy organic everything as long as it is only a little bit more. When it gets ridiculous or I am tight on money I get conventional.

I think there's some validity to the criticism of conventional foods, but I think it's seriously overblown.

Nutritionally they are similar as far as I'm concerned, it's the residual pesticides that are more the issue.

I don't understand how it's better for food security though. Traditional farming produces more food per acre and allows food to be grown in regions where it wouldn't otherwise grow.

I don't understand how it's better for food security though. Traditional farming produces more food per acre and allows food to be grown in regions where it wouldn't otherwise grow.

Its not traditional farming. Conventional farming is based off of petrochemical fertilizer......which is made out of oil, which means our food is made out of oil, which is running out and at the center of many explosive political conflicts.

It is impossible to switch from conventional farming to organic and sustainable farming overnight. It takes years to prepare the soil.

Then there are issues where conventional farming has lead to serious soil erosion and fresh water depletion.

I buy as much organic as I can. Some things like berries are known to be bad for pesticides and are expensive, so I only have them as a treat rarely. One thing that seems to come up regularly from nay-sayers is that "organic" is not really organic, and is just "less" of the bad stuff. I dont know how much merit there is to these claims. To me though, even if there is some pesticides but much less thats a win. By buying organic you are not only helping yourself but so many other environmental issues. If more and more people start, hopefully more companies will see profit in it and bring prices down as well as further improve regulations and quality.

Just my .02.

The cost differential to grow organics is not very high. There may be a lower yield of around 8% which I have read is the average, but the farmers save a considerable amount of money on the pesticides and chemical fertilizers they are not buying. The increase expense over conventional at the stores is due to higher demand for a limited quantity.

I remember buying a conventional watermelon last year in Chicago. I ate a few bites and threw it away because I could taste the oil. It reminded me of working on a car and getting car oil in my mouth.

I have noticed a SOLID difference in the taste of organic:

oranges

ketchup

strawberries

and a MINOR difference in:

bananas

apples

celery

so I like to buy at least some of my produce organic, especially oranges. There really is no comparison there. The organic ones are massively more tasty and easier to peel...

I can see the arguments for produce, but now there's organic ketchup and mustard and you can buy organic beans and lentils and what-not. Can you tell a difference with things like that?

I usually can't tell a difference with legumes and grains. However, the price difference is usually much smaller.

I like the taste of commercial ketchup, mustard and pickles just fine. At least in my area, the ingredients labels on these things always reads like a chemistry final and I've noticed that all three have artificial food dyes in them. Artificial food dyes keep getting indicted again and again year after year for cancer and other problems.

The price difference between conventional and organic on condiments is often huge in my area, but the artificial food dyes bother me.

Some studies shows that organic products are more concentrated in good phytochemicals.

Indeed, plants "creates" thoses phytochemicals as a reaction against an hostile environment (bugs ect). Conventional products with pesticides does not provide an hostile environment.

other than that, arguments for organic products are mostly political, like pesticides being harmful for the environment. And MAYBE for the consumer, we don't know much...

I watched old episode of Penn & Teller Bullshit on organic last night, found it pretty amusing.

Video: (NSFW - contains nudity & fool language) http://www.wisevid.com/play?v=6AzfAg5u6tcb

The number one reason to go organic for me would be health benefits by not exposing my body to these chemicals and pesticides but if some of these chemicals/pesticides are used in organic food then why switch?

I either grow my own (organically) or buy organic, I do not buy conventional food at all anymore, and I'm lucky enough to live in a community where there are TONS of local farms to choose from.

I choose to be organic because I do not want my body exposed to the chemicals and pesticides, and I don't want to contribute to the destruction that they wreak on the environment.

• 5 weeks later...

I can tell a difference in most of the organic produce and beans that I eat. Especially in fruits and beans. Greens not as much.

We eat a shit ton of beans and rice in my house. When I switched to organic, I could tell just from looking at the beans how much better they were.

I buy organic as much as possible. If the budget is really tight then I buy what I feel to be most important as far as organic.

Putting less crap into your system now will pay off later when you get older. There are too many people in my family taking 10+ perscription pills everyday for

various reasons and I refuse to ever be that way.

Chemical fertilizers blow the socks off of organic fertilizer when it comes to the amount of pure nitrogen.

Nitrogen overload in rivers and estuaries from runoff, is a killer of marine life (except algae).

The video talking about all the pesticides organic farmers use is Bull Shit (maybe in China, but not in the US). Organic farming is a highly regulated business that requires great investment to produce crops, that usually why they cost more.

https://www.greenbiz.com/blog/2010/08/06/how-does-your-diet-affect-gulfs-dead-zone

Urban sprawl is the greatest threat to our usable farmland, not that extra land is required to feed people because of organic farming.

Half truths always work well when presenting an argument.

I buy most of whole food organic, like fruits, veggies and grains, peas, etc; there are some places in Montreal where they sell it cheaper than conventional food in grocery stores. Organic bananas and organic watermelon are 49 cents/pound for instance, organic avocados 50 cents each. In grocery stores where most people buy their food it is twice this price and it is not organic.

Organic they can use some insecticides and stuff, but less toxic ones and in smaller amount,.

It is not genetically modified and it is better for environment, as well as for economy (conventional agriculture require 20 times less farmers working in a field.

Some foods from conventional agriculture require lots of pesticides and others less. Buy organic food especially for the first category.

High in pesticides: grapes, cherry, apple, celery, potato, peach, nectarine, pear, bell pepper, spinach, raspberry, strawberry.

Low in pesticides: eggplant, peas, corn, avocado, broccoli, banana, pineapple, onion, tomato, kiwi, papaya, asparagus, mango, cabbage, watermelon, sweet potato.

When someone would bring up organic, first word that would pop into my head was "healthier" but is it really? A year or two ago remember hearing about a study that concluded that organic food isn't nutritional healthier but pesticides was never taken into account.

Pesticides and herbicides are a big health issue.

So, is the health of the United States. Artificial fertilizers are based off of chemicals from oii -- as in fossil fuel-- which we all know is running out.

I buy organic food if it doesn't get more than a little bit expensive. If it gets ridiculous, I buy commercial.

Let's not forget the toxic products used to pack food, those are often the same for organic food, and we can find traces of those substances in the food, and then in our body.

• 2 weeks later...

According to the Environmental Working Group website, here's the 2010 "Dirty Dozen":

(You would want to purchase these as organic, if possible:)

Celery, Peaches, Strawberries, Apples, Blueberries, Nectarines, Bell Peppers, Spinach, Kale, Cherries, Potatoes,

Grapes (Imported)

And here's the 2010 "Clean 15":

(So you can purchase these as conventional, but be sure to wash them really well)

Onions, Avocado, Sweet Corn, Pineapple, Mango, Sweet Peas, Asparagus, Kiwi, Cabbage, Eggplant, Cantaloupe, Watermelon

Grapefruit, Sweet Potato, Honeydew Melon

Do remember to wash even the melons, even though they’re on the clean 15. I have read other sources that say cantaloupes, for example, can be very heavily sprayed. Our bodies are generally safe because of the very thick rind on the melon, but you want to make sure you scrub the outside very well before slicing it and rolling it around on the cutting board that will soon be home to your cut fruit.

Does Washing Help Reduce the Pesticides?

Washing helps, but the dirty dozen and clean fifteen lists take washing and peeling into account. There are still internal chemicals floating around all these produce items.