Trying hard and getting no where.

Ferrel

Hey guys. I'm new here. I've been trying for months to put on a bit of muscle and lose the small layer of fat over my stomach. I'm just under 135 pounds, I do varied strength training every other day, and eat a healthy diet. It's annoying to me that the only thing I've noticed is that my arms are slightly bigger. I'm not trying to put on 200 pounds of muscle, I just want my abs to be slightly visible, and look like I'm in shape. Any ideas from anyone?

I eat alot of breads and pastas since they give me most of my protein. A good amount of fruits and vegetables, rice, oatmeal, small amounts of chocolate. I also drink alot of water, and 1 glass of orange juice a day. -- I walk about 2-3 miles every morning. Then pushups, curls, leg raises, free weight exercises, and sometimes running in the afternoons every other day.

Like I say, I've been trying for months and haven't noticed anything in the abdominal area which is what I'm looking for. Kind of annoying hearing all these success stories when I bust my butt and don't notice anything Any help would be greatly appreciated. I keep researching online, but I can't seem to do this right.. Any ideas, suggestions for exercises or diet. Figured I'd come here where people know their stuff

Breads and pastas are extremely low in protein, and the protein they do have isn't very good. You need to incorporate more protein-rich foods like legumes into your diet and cut out all the processed carbs.

Your abs showing are almost entirely a function of bodyfat, not pushups and curls.

There's plenty of good information around here. I recommend you start reading some of the stickies and look at some others' plans.

Pasta, orange juice, and chocolate aren't what you need.

I trained and ran a whole marathon to lose weight. I went from 180 and when I was about down to your weight( I think I was 136 when I trained to run the Chicago Marathon) I didn't gain, but didn't lose and didn't see my abs and I thought for sure I was busting my butt. For me...when I was able to do a pullup(not assisted!) is when I finally saw my abs come in. I read an article not long ago..and I truly do believe a pullup is a great indicator of bodyfat. When my bodyfat starts to rise, my pullup performance starts to suffer and my abs start to disappear. That's my warning sign to clean up my diet and tweak my training.

When my pullups are on target..my abs are tight and defined and everything is wonderful with the world.

Anyways, just a tip so that you can see your abs and get immediate feedback on your bodyfat level. The pullup!

I should also mention that the layer of fat on your stomach is likely the last your body wants to get rid of. I am trying to get my BF down right now, and my little pouch is going no where. However, I have noticed that my arms and legs are getting more defined. When the fat is gone in other parts of my body, then it will take it from my tummy.

If you are a woman, you might notice it on your hips as well. Some men carry their fast on their chest.