Laser Hair Removal

SeaSiren

• 1 month later...

I've done a lot of reading on this. Go with electrolysis. Unlike laser, it's truly permanent and it was invented over 100 years ago, so you can feel confident that it is safe. Don't buy a machine from the drug store -- they don't work. See a professional who knows what he/she is doing. The price is comparable to laser.

I have done my upper lip...bikini line is next.

Did you do laser or electrolysis? I am doing under my arms and bikini line in the late fall. No way to get it done now... With Spring on us I am in a swimsuit too much to be able to let it grow out to the required length....ewww!

I don't shave my legs, but I don't have any leg hair! I used to, when I was a teen, and I shaved, and used Nair, the whole bit (though I never had any hair above the knees). At some point, my hair just stopped coming back (if I could figure out why, I'd do whatever I did on my armpits and bikini area!). I get a few hairs around my ankles that I just pluck out.

Now, back in the 70's, when I had one bra to my name, I didn't shave anything at all, and neither did many women who worked at a coop with me. Some were much hairier than others.

So, what is the best solution for bikini hair: electrolysis? Laser removal? Which is most effective, least painful?

I don't shave my legs, but I don't have any leg hair! I used to, when I was a teen, and I shaved, and used Nair, the whole bit (though I never had any hair above the knees). At some point, my hair just stopped coming back (if I could figure out why, I'd do whatever I did on my armpits and bikini area!). I get a few hairs around my ankles that I just pluck out.

You lucky duck! I tried Nair back when they ran the "we wear short shorts" commercials. It never worked for me, I always had to go back with a razor, so back to shaving.

As stated earlier, electrolysis is the only way I would go. It is the only permanent solution. Also, if you plan on spending any time in the sun, laser can be risky because it makes your skin super sensitive to sun damage, long after the procedure, plus its success rate and side effects vary greatly depending on your skin type.

Tell me, are you really going to get your bikini done and then not go out in the sun and show it off ?

Electrolysis does not have any of these issues.

Bottom line for me is that laser is too new and the long term effects (cancer resulting from sun damage? skin discoloration?) are too unknown. Electrolysis was invented in 1875 for crying out loud!

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone! I'm new here and this is my first post. Is it strange that it is about hair removal??

Anyway I had to chime in on this topic because I have had laser hair removal done and I LOVE it. I had it done on my face - the hair situation wasn't terrible on my face before but, I'm Italian and well you know....

Anyway, the treatments worked really well, I had very few side effects at all, I am not sensitive to the sun long after treatment (although my skin was more sensitive during treatments). I would like to go back for a bit of "cleanup" work but hoenstly the results have lasted me a long time (I did this two or three years ago) and although there's a bit of regrowth I am very happy with it. Definitely recommended!!

BTW, my dermatologist used IPL on me - not technically a laser since it carries multiple wavelengths of light, but that makes it more effective for getting more types of hair (supposedly). Anyway, yeah I'm a gal who shaves and the like, I don't consider myself brainwashed by society (I wouldn't be vegan if I was), I just like to be a girly girl and there ain't nuthin' wrong with that.

When I have more $$ coming in (whenever that will be!) I'm going to look at getting my bikini done.

But yeah, laser treatments are awesome and much more effective in the long term than anything else imho.

Anyway, yeah I'm a gal who shaves and the like, I don't consider myself brainwashed by society (I wouldn't be vegan if I was), I just like to be a girly girl and there ain't nuthin' wrong with that.

i know i love you already.

And welcome to VB&F. There are a few more girly girl vegans here that will be most pleased to make your girly girl acquaintance.

Since you are a new member, I beleive a party is in order:

Be sure to check out the numerous really cool emoticons we have.

A woman needs to feel beautiful and appreciated.. first by herself and then by others.. its some amount of vanity.. but its what it is..

So feel free to not feel guilty of some vanity.

As they say, everything has its purpose.

This was evolutionary pro creation exercise, not a societal MUST DO.

Sights, Smells and Sounds that make it happen. To pass on your genes you got to wear nice jeans .

• 1 month later...

I have had it done a few times... i need to get it done some more. it's worth the money i think, i rather not buy junk for 3 years and have no hair!

it does hurt at times tho.... it feels a little like little hot needles penetrating your skin but thats just the hairs absorbing the laser heat.

I'm gonna join in with the ladies on this one... surely I could never afford it but it would be nice to never have to shave my legs or my head ever again...don't care too much about the other spots though

• 10 months later...
Anyone had it done or thought of it? The thought of never shaving my legs or buying razors again is so appealing!

I am almost done with mine (brazilian) and upper lip, yes its pricey but soo worth it. The only bad thing is you can only shave during the process and its a hassle for me because I used to wax, never shave.

It takes a while, at least 4-6 sessions, im on my 4th one and I might need a couple more...The American Laser Centers give you 2 years garantee so thats pretty good...did I mention it hurts??, don't worry because if you are used to waxing its basically the same feeling...

• 2 weeks later...