Food processor / Blender

julia

I'll be getting a food processor for my birthday

A Vita-Mix is just way too expensive, and quite frankly even if I got it, I'd never spend that much money on a blender, even if it's not exactly myself who spends the money. Apart from that I don't believe anybody would be willing to buy me a blender for that amount of money..

So I'm looking for a good food processor or blender.

I want to make my own nutmilks, smoothies, and nutbutters would be great as well.

Any ideas, recommendations..?

I've also been looking at one called "OmniBlend".. It seems great, any experiences with that one?

Julia,

I know what you mean about the Vitamix. It is crazy expensive. I never thought I would get one as well. How much more can it do than one you get at target for $50, right?

Well, I went through at least 10 of those $50 blenders over the years. Probably about 1 a year in fact. After a lot of people promoting the vitamix and seeing it action, I decided to take the plunge. I am so happy I did. Out of all the items in my kitchen, the Vitamix gets the most use. I probably use it 25 out of 30 days a month. And I work it hard. A lot of frozen fruit, nuts, solid bits of ice, etc. I often cause it to overheat and it shuts off to cool down for a while. Once it is cooled down, it works fine.

A women I knew has hers die completely on her after ten years. She sent it in to be fixed and they sent it back with a new motor free of charge.

The containers are pretty nice as well. Especially the dry container. Through in nuts, seeds, etc, and turn it on high. In a few seconds, you have a very fine powder to use for making cheeses, milks, butters, etc. I can make my own tahini salad dressing with my Vitamix.

I looked up the Omniblend. Looks like it would give you the same performance as the Vitamix. It actually uses the vitamix containers. It has a timer which the vitamix does not have, but also a standard warranty of only 3 years. Vita mix is 7 with an extended up to 10 years. Also, I would check into how well they warranty their products. Just because they have a 3 year warranty doesn't mean it is easy to get something fixed or replaced.

Likely, if you buy a vitamix, you will have it for a very long time. I would probably buy a used vitamix over any other blender new. Not only because of the blender, but because of their warranty and customer service.

I bought mine at the Raw Spirit Fest a couple years ago and it was $379 and included the extra dry container for free or maybe it was any extra $20. Can't remember exactly. You can sometimes find deals like this at trade shows. Also, you might find someone selling a slightly used one cheap online.

I am not affiliated with Vitamix in anyway. LOL

Tragically I really agree. My Vitamix (which I got for my birthday haha!) is the most essential part of my kitchen and food prep. It chomps through everything, and the warranty is a big plus, since I really don't have to worry about treating it well.

I know it sounds like too much, but if you average it over just a 10 year period, it's like $3.50 a month. So it works out well if you are really going to use it...

I should come clean , I own a 20 year old vitamix. But I didnt want to lean you towards it. Also you should figure in that in my case and others who have the vitamix , atleast in Canada and the US, you can trade it in broken or not for a 75 dollar credit on a new one. But it may only apply to ones purchased on their site. http://www.vitamix.com/household/service/tradein.asp The 5200 would be added with the next one came out ofcourse.

I'm a blendtec fan. It really makes sense to splurge on a good blender if there's any way you can.

Wow, they have a 2400 Watt blender! Holy crap! They also have a ten year warranty. When my Vitamix gives up the ghost, I will seriously have to look into their blenders.

I'm a blendtec fan. It really makes sense to splurge on a good blender if there's any way you can.

Wow, they have a 2400 Watt blender! Holy crap! They also have a ten year warranty. When my Vitamix gives up the ghost, I will seriously have to look into their blenders.

Wow a thousand dollars. Ten year warranty is good .

I'm not trying to get one for $50, but the VitaMix is not readily available over here. I couldn't find any used ones on ebay, and there's just a few sites that sell them in Germany. The lowest price was 650€ which is 840$.

I'll see if Blendtec is available here, otherwise I might go with the Omniblend.

Apparantly Ktec > all:

There is a guy on that particular comments section that is spouting some untrue things about vitamix. I cant even tell you. P plus some numbers is his name. Anyways yeah Ktec is Blendtec same company. They make a really great blender.

Blendtec is even more expensive than the VitaMix :o

But I think I found the right one for me: http://gastroback.de/en/products/details/35/7/mixer-&-crusher/design-mixer-advanced-electronic.html

It's a German product, costs about 250$, and I've read nothing but positive feedback on it.

I hope that you have great luck with the blender, I havent heard of it yet so I cannot comment on it. Green smoothies for the win.

• 11 months later...
Blendtec is even more expensive than the VitaMix :o

But I think I found the right one for me: http://gastroback.de/en/products/details/35/7/mixer-&-crusher/design-mixer-advanced-electronic.html

It's a German product, costs about 250$, and I've read nothing but positive feedback on it.

Julia can you tell us more about the blender? That way we can include it in future sugguestions for blenders.