What training program are you currently following?

What is your current training program? Days/week, sets/reps. What are you training for? Size, strength, endurance, etc.?

Just trying to get some fresh ideas, a new perspective on what I want to accomplish. Size/strength are my main goals. At present, I am on Mon/Wed/Fri. Walking/cardio every day (if I can fit it into my schedule)

Thinking I need to change things up a bit...

Thanks for taking the time to share your routine!

I am doing about 2 days of lifting a week, maybe 3, and about 1 day of cardio.

On the weight training days, I do a full body workout. I work through a bunch of compound exercises, doing 1 set of one exercise, then straight onto the next exercise (for a different body part) and do 1 set, and go round the gym like that, with no rest period. Sometimes I do breakdowns, doing a set on an exercise, then do the same exercise right away with slightly less weight to push out some more, and do that 3 or 4 times to burn out those muscles before moving onto the next exercise. Then at the end I do a little bit of isolation stuff on shoulders, triceps, biceps and chest, and a few sets of crunches. For the compound exercises, if I can do 12 reps, then I put the weight up, I never want to be doing more than 12 reps.

On the cardio days I do about 30 minutes or so of various things like cross trainer, bike, rowing machine.

My goals are just to get a little bit bigger, but mainly to maintain what I've got while getting rid of excess fat and get a nice slim waist

Hi Richard,

Thanks for sharing that info., I appreciate it. The rest of you guys, come on, share your training schedule! Also, back "in the day", the training was like - 2 on/1 off/2 on, or maybe 3 on/1 off...

At that time, it was the general consensus that a 5 day a week schedule was too grueling, not allowing enough time for recovery, thus leading to injury or over-training, unless you were on the juice.

Is this not the case now? What is the current 5 day a week schedule that I am hearing about now? I see posts referencing it, but what is it specifically?

@ Richard - nice site - I am into metal as well - is that an Ibby in your pic?

ok, fine. but if you want to know what people are doing, go click around in the training logs section.

I loosely based my program on starting strength and stronglifts style routines. Which is to say lots of compound movements and sets of 5, mostly.

squat 1x10 warm up at light weight, 3x5 @ work sets. (it was 5x5, but that was getting VERY daunting as the weight went up)

deadlift (sometimes replaced with power cleans or clean/front squat) 2x5

tricep pullover. 3x5 or 5x5

standing overhead press 3x5

barbell row 5x5

bench (sometimes replaced with incline bench) 3x5

I also do a set of 3x10 shrugs

and about 15-20 towel pullups while I'm there

I do these things just about every workout day. 3 days a week.

I'm training for a base, currently. Strength more than size, but I do want size eventually. When I double my bodyweight on deads, 1.5x on squats and 1x on bench I'll lower the weight and bring the reps up.

sometimes I also mix in curls and the leg press.

that's really about it for in the gym.

Currently following the texas method

Monday is volume: 5x5 squats, 6x3 push presses, 8x3 power cleans

Wednesday is "recovery": 2x5 light squats, 2x5 presses, 3x12 chinups (still working getting all 12 for the 2nd and 3rd sets), abs

Friday is max weight: 1x5 heavy squats, 2x3 heavy push presses, 2x3 deadlifts

Since adding the power cleans to the program I'm tempted to drop everything else and just power clean all the time.

I am doing HIIT from the insanity program. I am not looking to get bigger, but I really want to have a lot of performance. I still have about 5% BF I want to cut out as well.

I have been doing insanity for a week now and I have seen a noticeable difference in my stomach.

Jim Wendler's 5/3/1!

Press on Monday, Deadlifts on Tuesday, Bench on Thursday and Squats on Friday. You do what you want for assistance exercises so it never gets boring. I use low reps, from 2-10 on pretty much everything. It's a 4 week cycle, pretty much you hit your 5RM on week1, 3RM on week2, 1RM on week3 then a deload week. Add weight to the whole thing and repeat! For the main lifts the reps/sets/weights are all laid out for you (based on your 1RM).

Quite a few years ago I did a bout of German volume training - you know, 10 x 10s. That seemed to be the most growth producing routine that I ever did, I was a carnivore at that time though, lol.

Quite a few years ago I did a bout of German volume training - you know, 10 x 10s. That seemed to be the most growth producing routine that I ever did, I was a carnivore at that time though, lol.

OH! do tell what you're thoughts on this are/were. After you mentioned it I looked it up. That seems super awesome. I am excited to do that for a month after my linear progression kicks the bucket.

How did you work it? the "normal" way? (seemingly 1 exercise per body group per week, 2 body groups a day, 3 days a week?) or did you superset lifts? just curious. seems like an awesome program.

OH! do tell what you're thoughts on this are/were. After you mentioned it I looked it up. That seems super awesome. I am excited to do that for a month after my linear progression kicks the bucket.

How did you work it? the "normal" way? (seemingly 1 exercise per body group per week, 2 body groups a day, 3 days a week?) or did you superset lifts? just curious. seems like an awesome program.

My thoughts are that it worked well for me because it was such a shock to my system which was used to the usual "3 sets of 6-8 rep" routine. I did ten sets of ten reps of one exercise for each muscle group. Bobybuilding.com has a great write up on the particulars.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw84.htm

Unfortunately, I cannot remember the specifics of what I did, although they are written in a training log that I am sure I have someplace. I know that I did an every other day schedule, Mon-Wed-Fri.

You need to make sure that you have ample recovery time - I beat myself half to death doing it, determined to shock some new growth.

It was during this time that I was at my heaviest, 199 lb. at 5' 8 1/2". I am thinking of doing it again soon...

I'm also working the insanity workouts into my program. I do the Insanity workouts five days a week in the AM, then head to the gym four days a week doing either chest, triceps and biceps, or legs, back and shoulder. I start the chest workout with bench presses (incline, decline, flat), then do dips and/or cable crossovers, then two exercises each for bi and tri. I start the leg workout with squats, then follow up with extensions and curls, do some pullups, then lat pulldowns and rows, finishing with a couple of shoulder exercises.

I mix in a few dance classes, bike rides and hockey throughout the year.

I've done German Volume Training before, it's pretty brutal. I'm a lot more of a three to five rep kinda person with a few minutes recovery between sets!

I just did Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 for seven months straight, and now I need a change. It made me a lot stronger, though. I'm getting married and am feeling like a slightly pudgy powerlifter, so currently I'm working in more cardio, less calories, and more endurance in my weight training. Mostly sets of 10 with less rest time between sets. My training for this month is kind of random. I'm practicing form on some new stuff, like olympic lifts.

I'm doing 6 days on and one 1 day off.

Friday - Strength day (heavy) full body stuff - snadbag clean and presses, dumbell snatches that kind of stuff

Saturday- body weight or light weight GPP (general physical prepardness) -burpees, mountain climbers, using bands http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com/fitness-bands.php (band pulls, band slams...) db or kettlebell swings

Sunday- run - short fast runs like sets of 400m or 800m or shuttle runs. Occasionally a trail run for some sight seeing

Monday -strength day (explosive) lighter day

Tuesday- similar to Saturday

Wednesday-run simialr to Sunday

Thursday- rest

As far as core goes, I usally do it every other day. I used to do a lot of powerlifting, I did it from 15 till I was 26 and at that time I really never did any kind of cardio, I was lucky to run 1 mile in 9 mins and not colapse on the floor for 30 mins. For what I do this is a more appropriate type of workout.

• 3 weeks later...

I work every muscle group three times a week. For example, I will work my legs every other day and incorporate a chest/back day on two of those days. And every other day I will work my arms. Abs get thrown in whenever. I rest one day a week and cardio is almost everyday and ranges from 30 mins to 1hr.

I do 3x10 on everything.

I just started BB back in May. I've seen growth and continue to see growth even though it is starting to slow down. I'm sure that i'm not doing something right somewhere.

I am female and it seems that I find more information out there for men than women. Can I do the same BB work as men or is there something better out there for women?

Any tips on how to get bigger? I know there are supplements out there but I really don't want to take any of them.

Thanks.

I work every muscle group three times a week. For example, I will work my legs every other day and incorporate a chest/back day on two of those days. And every other day I will work my arms. Abs get thrown in whenever. I rest one day a week and cardio is almost everyday and ranges from 30 mins to 1hr.

I do 3x10 on everything.

I just started BB back in May. I've seen growth and continue to see growth even though it is starting to slow down. I'm sure that i'm not doing something right somewhere.

I am female and it seems that I find more information out there for men than women. Can I do the same BB work as men or is there something better out there for women?

Any tips on how to get bigger? I know there are supplements out there but I really don't want to take any of them.

Thanks.

Four months on the same program...may signal a time for a change to your routine. Pretty much anyone will see gains when first starting out any exercise program, but when the muscle adapts, it is time to change.

Also, I think hitting the same bodypart 3x a week may be a bit much. Many programs have you working the same muscle around 2x a week, or once every 5 days, which is what I am currently doing.

One last thing - are you eating enough, and frequently? Gotta fuel those muscles!

Keep at it! Gains will come!

I'm sure I'm not working out correctly so if anybody has any tips feel free to throw those in a response:

Currently, I am doing Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday on and Tuesday and Wednesday as rest days.

Each day I do an hour of hard cardio. I break it up in 30 minute increments though.

I do 30 minutes on an elliptical type machine (however, its not an elliptical. I don't know what the name of it is)

Then I do 6 different weight machines that target the arms, chest and back. I do 3 sets of 15 on each machine.

50 walking lunges with 10 pound barbells

450 crunches of varying types that target the main abs, lower abs, and side abs.

After doing weights and abs, I go back and do 30 minutes more of cardio.

I do the same thing everyday which I know is wrong but right now I'm just trying to get and stay in the swing of things. This is my second week. Before that I haven't worked out since April.

I am trying to gain muscle in my arms because they're really tiny (8 inches at the biggest part) and tone my legs and glutes. So strength as well as endurance because eventually I want to start running again.

Here is the program I started using at 125lbs and assisted me in putting on some serious pounds within a very short amount of time. It's all about progression. Very basic and no direct arm work I'll post my current "more bodybuilding style" routine soon. I want to make sure it works first.

It's a 3 day/ week setup: M, W, F is how I did it. I believe this is how everyone just starting out should lift. It will instill proper form, knowledge on basics and foundation, and build strength which will.. in the beginning.. bring MASS. (if you eat)

Workout A

Back Squats 5x5

Chin-Ups or Pull-Ups 5x5

Dips or Bench Press 5x5

Wrist Work 2x10

Calves 2x15-20

Workout B

Front Squats 5x5

Rows 5x5

Standing Press 5x5

Deadlifts 3x5 (2 warm-up sets and 1 "stabilizer set")

Wrist Work 2x10

Calves 2x15-20

Week 1: A, B, A

Week 2: B, A, B

Week 3: A, B, etc

This was created by Reg Park back in the day.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm halfway through my first round of the Insanity fitness program.

How cool! That is where I am as well. Next week I start my recovery week. I am doing the insanity in addition to my regular weight training.

It's awesome. Be prepared to be challenged and look like you took a dive in a swimming pool afterwards, but you do get results and damn, I feel great.

Also don't be convinced by those who claim no strength training goes on; due to it I upped my dumbbells from 10 to 15 and can now do regular pushups.

I'm halfway through my first round of the Insanity fitness program.

How cool! That is where I am as well. Next week I start my recovery week. I am doing the insanity in addition to my regular weight training.

It's awesome. Be prepared to be challenged and look like you took a dive in a swimming pool afterwards, but you do get results and damn, I feel great.

Also don't be convinced by those who claim no strength training goes on; due to it I upped my dumbbells from 10 to 15 and can now do regular pushups.

LOL - yeah, I do look like I dove into a swimming pool during the workouts - and I am in an air conditioned room to boot! I am getting great results from it. When I started out, I couldn't even complete the first fit test.

On the second fit test, I kicked butt, however!

I would highly recommend this program to anyone who is interested in achieving very noticeable results in a relativity short period of time.

Freedom is my program. I use my intuition and mind-body awareness to decide what to do each day. I choose between weight lifting, cycling, hiking, scrambling, walking, landscaping/yardwork, ab floor work, deep stretching, and meditation that utilizes NLP and VMH. I choose a combination based on what my body is asking for, what it's ready for, and what will bring me the most joy and the highest buzz.

Gotta go pack for my delicious long hike on Mt. Hood tomorrow: Life is good!

Baby Herc