Vitamin B-12: Still A Problem

I hate it when I can't counter argue my mates on the B-12 part I really love vegan food and I'm proud to a vegan too.
There're really nothing to counter. We'd probably get plenty of B12 if we didn't clean our food... animal meat contains it because they eat dirty food and/or the B12-producing bacteria in their guts hang out before the absorption point.

I think vitamin D is similar... most of a population has low levels of D. If we all hung out outside, in a more natural climate (tropics), and weren't all scared of skin cancer we'd get it all naturally. The natural amounts of D in meat and the fortified amounts in cows milk still aren't enough to keep people healthy. It's another example of how we evolved with needs adapted to a different environment than in which we currently live.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate it when I can't counter argue my mates on the B-12 part I really love vegan food and I'm proud to a vegan too.

B-12 is an issue for omnivores too. It becomes more difficult for anyone's digestive system to get it from food after 50 years of age. The same good food sanitation practices also reduces b-12 for meat eaters. So much so in Israel it is a low that processed foods have to be fortified with b-12. Hardly a country full of vegans.

Having had heavy drinking or smoking as a habit will also impair people from absorbing b-12 well.........lots of people.

Anyways, when I checked my B12 levels, it was around like 400. And the best part is I don't take supplements . That was like 4-5 months before tho.

From

http://veganhealth.org/articles/everyvegan#test

A blood B12 level measurement is a very unreliable test for vegans, particularly for vegans using any form of algae. Algae and some other plant foods contain B12-analogues (false B12) that can imitate true B12 in blood tests while actually interfering with B12 metabolism. Blood counts are also unreliable as high folate intakes suppress the anemia symptoms of B12 deficiency that can be detected by blood counts. Blood homocysteine testing is more reliable, with levels less than 10 mmol/litre being desirable. The most specific test for B12 status is methylmalonic acid (MMA) testing. If this is in the normal range in blood (<370 nmol/L) or urine (less than 4 mg /mg creatinine) then your body has enough B12. Many doctors still rely on blood B12 levels and blood counts. These are not adequate, especially in vegans.

Also many foods are fortified with vitamin b-12 in the US & Canada ( just not in optimal amounts ), so you likely are "taking supplements" without consciously intending to do so. Soy milk and just about any cereal are good examples of this.

Ask them where carnivores like lions get their B12. In the meat of herbivores. And where herbivores get b12 ? Eating grass. Same for calcium.

Or ask them where they get their Vitamin C. Eating tons of shrimp brains ?