Bean Cooking Tips questions

When Cooking beans I soak mines over night, drain, and then cook in a pot filled with water...my question is

When cooking beans in a pot, do I cover the pot as it is cooking?

or

do I leave it uncovered?

I herd that covering the pot does not release the beans gasses, is this true?

also, how long should I be cooking beans for? I usually cook them till soft, about 20-30 min

i always had these questions on my mind, and now I am asking. Anyone know?

Dried beans???? Cooking depends on the bean but for most you just bring to a boil then cover/simmer for hour or so, that's for dried beans.

When soaking, if you can, change the water and always rinse the beans off after soaking; I've also heard adding a pinch of baking soda during soaking helps; finally uncooked bean will give you gas.

Dried beans???? Cooking depends on the bean but for most you just bring to a boil then cover/simmer for hour or so, that's for dried beans.

When soaking, if you can, change the water and always rinse the beans off after soaking; I've also heard adding a pinch of baking soda during soaking helps; finally uncooked bean will give you gas.

I always soak my beans overnight for 8 hours or so

Leaving the lid on shouldn't be significant.

I'm not entirely sure what you're saying but you absolutely must change the water and preferably also rinse the beans. If you soak them overnight you can change the water then and go on to cook them. If you don't soak them then you have to drain and rinse the cooked beans before using. There are toxic lectins in beans (highest in red kidney) that have to be removed through cooking and rinsing.

I get the best result soaking the beans overnight then putting them in the slow cooker for 7-9 hours (depends on the type of bean) along with some baking soda and salt.

i soak overnight, drain, add new water and a little turmeric, then cook in pressure pot for at least one hour or more, than drain the cooking water and then use beans for whatever i like.

Water from cooking and soaking is toxic, I heard. Turmeric is good for digestion. Some baking soda is also a good idea, if you don't have high blood pressure issues. I don't use salt to much, so I dont use baking soda either...

I am not sure how you are cooking dried beans in 20-30 min....or do you mean canned beans?

I like the slow cooker too, but right now my slow cooker is in storage and I'm just using the stove top.

here is a link about cooking beans

Never use a slow cooker to cook beans ! Some harmful products found in uncooked beans may hurt your health. However they are destroyed by high temperatures... Higher than the temperatures used in a slow cooker. Boiling still seems the best solution.

For the gaz problem, yes you can soak them.

The flatulence problem about beans is because beans contains some indigestible sugars who are digested only by the flora in your colon. Which produce gaz (a lot of it)

Thoses products are water-soluble, so if you soak 12 to 36 h you'll get rid of the problem.

Change water if you can during the soaking, since it will extract the sugars better.

Never use a slow cooker to cook beans ! Some harmful products found in uncooked beans may hurt your health. However they are destroyed by high temperatures... Higher than the temperatures used in a slow cooker. Boiling still seems the best solution.

Do you have an actual source for that?

I wasn't aware of the low temperature issue, but it seems valid:

http://www.fda.gov/food/foodsafety/foodborneillness/foodborneillnessfoodbornepathogensnaturaltoxins/badbugbook/ucm071092.htm

I've never done this but I've also never slow cooked kidney or lima beans, so I may have just been lucky with the lower lectin levels in other varieties. Looks like you're safe if you boil them for at least ten minutes and change the water.

I wasn't aware of the low temperature issue, but it seems valid:

http://www.fda.gov/food/foodsafety/foodborneillness/foodborneillnessfoodbornepathogensnaturaltoxins/badbugbook/ucm071092.htm

I've never done this but I've also never slow cooked kidney or lima beans, so I may have just been lucky with the lower lectin levels in other varieties. Looks like you're safe if you boil them for at least ten minutes and change the water.

That article seems to be saying it's a problem with UNDERCOOKED kidney beans, but it doesn't mention using a crock pot vs boiling on the stove top. If I use like six cups of water to one cup of beans, I can actually see the water boiling a little bit. Maybe I just have a really hot crock pot. Or maybe I'm reading the article wrong.

Item #5 from the link says

Several outbreaks have been associated with "slow cookers" or crock pots, or in casseroles which had not reached a high enough internal temperature to destroy the glycoprotein lectin. It has been shown that heating to 80°C may potentiate the toxicity five-fold, so that these beans are more toxic than if eaten raw. In studies of casseroles cooked in slow cookers, internal temperatures often did not exceed 75°C.

Normally slow cookers on the low setting typically hit the just below 80C and high setting is around 90C. I agree it's not very clear and I'm not certain of the true risk. I was under the impression that after 8 hours in the slow cooker on low, the lecthins all have leached into the water which is why you must change it. I can't seem to find anything reliable-looking that addresses that.

I am not sure how you are cooking dried beans in 20-30 min....or do you mean canned beans?

I like the slow cooker too, but right now my slow cooker is in storage and I'm just using the stove top.

here is a link about cooking beans

I buy dry organic beans,

I put them in a bowl and fill it with water over night (8-10 hrs)

I drain the beans, rinse them,

then I put them in a pot, and boil them

I Let it simmer for a 20min- half hour to 1 hour (depends on beans)

Then when they are soft (soft enough to chew)

I drain the beans, rinse them, then put them in a container and put them in the fridge

thats how I do it.

My beans literally take 20min -1 hour to cook. and it is soft enough to eat.

I don't know if releases the gasses or toxins from the beans this way. And I am afraid to overcook them because I herd if you do, then you loose most of the proteins or nutrients from the beans.

Pressure cooker!

Soak beans 4 hours no need to soak lentils. Makes it easy for meal planning. don't have to think about it the day before.

Average 10 min. cooking time.

May 1/2 hour to bring to boil and to release steam pressure.

Still will go the long method but pressure cooking is the easiest and fasted, not to mention less energy input.

I have been starting to cook beans for longer now...But am still unsure when they are done or not. I follow these guidelines from this one website that was posted on this forum (thanks to whoever did that by the way)

They say if you can squish it between the roof of your mouth and your tong, then it is good.

OR if you can squish it with a fork.

But....I still can never tell. Sometimes when I eat my beans, they are mushy, and sometimes they are not mushy, but are still edible... Bah...this shall always be a mystery to me....