Jump to content

Excess carbohydrates


Recommended Posts

I'm a new vegan and not a bodybuilder.

 

I'm starting my vegan diet using Harvey Diamond's Fit for Life program. I'm using the first book of the series to help me.

 

I've been using an application called CRON-o-Meter to help me keep track of my nutritional intake. It uses data from USDA.

 

On a typical day it seems that on this Fit for Life diet I exceed my carbohydrate requirement by over 300% to reach 1800-2100 calories by the end of the day.

 

I've also been exercising regularly almost five to six days a week using the P90X program.

 

Should I be worried about the excess carbohydrates? Will it be stored as fat as conventional theories say? Will it make burning fat difficult?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Veggie Monster, (I Like your name)

 

You will have to see what works for you, but I lost at least 75 pounds eating 80% - 90% carbs and the other 10% - 20% a split in fat and protein. I ate predominately fresh fruits and vegetables, with a little bit of nuts and flax seeds occasionally.

 

I did P90X for a long time, but I never got really cut. Maybe I would have if I consumed more protein. I still have about 6 or7 pounds to go and it didn't start coming off until I started doing Insanity. With Insanity, I actually notice a change everyday, which to me is amazing.

 

I am trying to keep my protein intake up a little lately, but I get sick of the powders, I don't like the processed foods, beans and lentils give me gas, and I don't always want to cook a batch of seitan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A good source of protein that's probably not going to give you any gas is hemp. Other seeds like pumpkin seeds are great too. If you want to maximize the protein from hemp (which is about 25-30% of its calories or more depending on the breed), you can make hemp based tofu, something I only recently started doing. I'm not sure of the nutritional value but you definitely reduce the carbs and fat by extracting just the curd. It's really easy and you can treat it like you would normal tofu though I've only been able to get a medium firmness so far. Here's a guide -

 

http://www.postpunkkitchen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=120330

 

Additionally, you could eat more peanuts and real nuts like almonds and pistachios which have good amino acid profiles. They're high in fat too though but you can get defatted peanut meal online for making low fat/high protein peanut butter or for use in energy bars like this one from someone on veganfitness:

 

"Amazing Almond Bars

 

1 cup of defatted almond meal (150g)

1 cup of pea protein (80g)

1/2 cup of rice protein (50g)

2/3 cup of defatted hazelnut meal (100g)

1 cup of oats (100g)

1/2 cup of fructose (100g)

some vegan aroma of your choice

 

Mix all the ingredients together and add water until it's a tight mass (shouldn't be too moist). Put it into a brownie form and bake it at 180°C for about 15 minutes.

You get 12 bars of which each contains about

 

Protein: 19,5g

Carbs: 18,3g

Fat: 3,0g

 

PS: defatted nutmeals are sometimes available at fitness shops, sometimes they're sold by oil mills."

 

 

The carbs would obviously be much lower if you replaced the fructose with a diet sweetener like xylitol or stevia.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just realized this morning that I am eating excess carbohydrates by pairing up beans and bread. I didn't realize how many carbs were in a serving of beans. 20g. While tofu has about 2g of carbs and seitan is relatively small too in the carb category. Now I know why I'm not losing any weight. I'm not gaining either.

So I need to kick the bread, use rice and beans as my carbs and tofu/seitan as my protein. I also need to get more veggies into my diet. I thought I was eating enough but I guess not. We'll see how this goes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Amazing Almond Bars

 

1 cup of defatted almond meal (150g)

1 cup of pea protein (80g)

1/2 cup of rice protein (50g)

2/3 cup of defatted hazelnut meal (100g)

1 cup of oats (100g)

1/2 cup of fructose (100g)

some vegan aroma of your choice

 

Cool recipe, but I would not recommend using pure fructose for anything, especially if you are trying to loose weight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...