Poor Vegetarian BB Diet? I want to gain muscle not lose fat!

I'm in college, work full-time delivering food, occasional studio work, and spend more than the average musician's time playing music. I've been making some progress with bodyweight routines, but I'm about to get back into the popular Rippetoe's Starting Strength program. I have dabbled in bodybuilding before and dropped it before becoming comfortable with my body, routine, and knowledge. It's been a couple years and I feel like I can commit this time.

I'm always on the run and honestly, I'm a dreadful cook, although I do give it my best. I'm trying to plan out some meals that can be prepared ahead of time or thrown together. I'm also permanently broke since almost every penny I earn going back into school or music/studio equipment.

I have no clue what calories/protein I should meet daily, but probably 2500 or more calories and 200g protein would be a solid estimate. Of course I take multi-vitamins and omega 3 capsules.

Also, I'm not vegan, but a vegetarian so I'm comfortable with eggs and dairy (please don't burn me at the stake).

Simple meals like natural peanut butter on whole grain bread with some veggies on the side and a glass of whole milk are what I'm looking for. I usually purchase those bagged salads and eat a salad with some ranch at every meal, and snack on broccoli all the time, so I'm probably covered on veggies. I can't get enough of them. Everything tastes better with more veggies!

Any beginner tips or diet advice would be great! Post some simple, fast, and cheap meals for me.

Do you eat legumes like beans, chickpeas, lentils? They are dirt cheap. You can cook them in advance (if you buy dried), freeze them, and then you have them ready to go when you need them.

I made a massive brown rice/lentil salad today and if it were not for the veggies it would cost probably all of two dollars and it will probably last me five days. All of the veggies were from my garden anyway.

Lentils and garbanzo beans have got to be the highest amount of protein for the least amount of money. Lentils are versatile and come in a variety of colors and kinds and garbanzo beans are downright tasty in falafel and hummus. Plus, you can make up a ton of either one and freeze most of it to eat off of over the course of many weeks, like I do. Google is your friend for recipes.

Baby Herc

vegweb.com has a ton of recipes

Wow, you are so right, lobster! Look at this one for lentils:

Get Your Groove on Veggie Burgers

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

1 can of beans or lentils

your favorite veggies such as carrots, zucchini, or broccoli

1/2 cup salsa

1 Tablespoon of sesame oil

1 Tablespoon of vegan Worcestershire sauce

1 cup of rolled oats

1/4 cup cornmeal

garlic powder

onion powder

salt and pepper

1/4 cup barbecue sauce

Directions:

These measurements are estimates!

Drain and rinse your beans or lentils (I used lentils in this recipe, but black beans, red, or pinto would be good too). Put in food processor until pureed. Put pureed beans in mixing bowl.

Put your veggies in the food processor. I used carrot and zucchini. You can't even really taste them in the final product, so you can sneak in any veggies you want! When processed I had about a cup. Add to mixing bowl.

Process the rolled oats in the processor to create a powdery grain. If you want your burgers to have more texture, you could skip the processing part.

Add to mixing bowl and stir until combined evenly. Then add the seasonings, salsa, and barbecue. If it seems too wet to make patties, add some cornmeal, which is what I did. Then I was able to form about 6 patties. Salt and Pepper the tops. I lightly oiled a cookie sheet and baked for about a half and hour on 350. I flipped them about half way through.

They were firm and juicy when done. I served on whole wheat bread with Dijon Mustard and Vegenaise, with some baked potatoes.

Get your groove on at the next burger/dog party with these healthy, tasty burgers!

Serves: 6

Preparation time: 15 minutes

Do you eat legumes like beans, chickpeas, lentils? They are dirt cheap. You can cook them in advance (if you buy dried), freeze them, and then you have them ready to go when you need them.

I sometimes make white bean fritattas and burritos, but I definitely don't eat enough beans, mostly due to a lack of fast recipes. Vegweb is sometimes hard to navigate or find recipes that are high-calorie/protein, but I browse through there occasionally. Those veggie burgers sound great, but I don't have a food processor. I should probably get one since I've had to skip over recipes before because I haven't ever had one.

There are a TON of bean recipes on the internet that don't require a food processor. If you are worried about time like I said, cook up a big batch of beans and then freeze them.

You can also make things like soups, stews, curries, etc. ahead of time, freeze them in individual portions, then thaw when you need.

http://vegweb.com/index.php?board=138.0

Check out the beans and rice section, one of the cheapest things you can make. High calorie, decent amount of protein.

Get Your Groove on Veggie Burgers

OK, I just whipped these up but I haven't cooked them yet because...um....

...if you cut yourself while cooking and some of the blood gets into your veggie burgers, are you still a vegan? (Just kidding.)

OK, not really.

Herc

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa47/efzmonkey/Tastyburger2.jpg

seriously, I will have to make that (minus the blood of course)

I sometimes make white bean fritattas and burritos, but I definitely don't eat enough beans, mostly due to a lack of fast recipes. Vegweb is sometimes hard to navigate or find recipes that are high-calorie/protein, but I browse through there occasionally. Those veggie burgers sound great, but I don't have a food processor. I should probably get one since I've had to skip over recipes before because I haven't ever had one.

Do you have a decent blender? before I got a food processor I just used my blender- not as great but it works for most things.

what's your weight? you don't need 200g of protein unless you weight 200lbs. there's probably no harm in taking more than you need, but if that extra gets you chugging down protein shakes, eating a lot of dairy, eggs or/and highly processed soy products - it's neither healthy, nor inexpensive.

to gain weight you need roughly 16-18 kcal/lb of bodyweight. but keep in mind that it's just an estimate. you'll probably need to adjust as required. as for protein - 1g/lb should be more than enough.

and the most important part - train hard!

Edited by jcdenton

what's your weight? you don't need 200g of protein unless you weight 200lbs. there's probably no harm in taking more than you need, but if that extra gets you chugging down protein shakes, eating a lot of dairy, eggs or/and highly processed soy products - it's neither healthy, nor inexpensive.

to gain weight you need roughly 16-18 kcal/lb of bodyweight. but keep in mind that it's just that - an estimate. you'll probably need to adjust as reqired. as for protein - 1g/lb should be more than enough.

and the most important part - train hard!

I currently weigh 175 at 5'11", but that's with a visible amount of weight lost over the summer. I weighed 190 at my 'peak' though. I do consume quite a bit of dairy, although it's mostly milk. I eat eggs for breakfast regularly, about four with some oats and fruit. I used to drink one protein shake per day, max. I very rarely eat soy or other 'fake meat' product, it's usually when I have chicken nugget cravings.

I'm training an impromptu bodyweight routine now, but there's a free gym on campus I'm going to start going to to get some freeweight exercise in.

to gain weight you need roughly 16-18 kcal/lb of bodyweight. but keep in mind that it's just that - an estimate.

Oh man I wish...

I weigh 135-140 and according to that would need to eat 2500 calories, but I can easily mow down 4000+ and not gain a pound.

I'm an awesome cook, but I hate cooking for myself. Spending hours in the kitchen just to feed one person SUCKS.

So I started uncooking (I guess?) raw foods.

My favorite is raw pasta.. But it's very low cal. I like to make smoothies with avacado, berries, and greens too. I also enjoy a huge steaming pile of.. OATMEAL!! I know, not a raw food.. But it's easy and has high protein content!

Oh man I wish...

I weigh 135-140 and according to that would need to eat 2500 calories, but I can easily mow down 4000+ and not gain a pound.

that's why it's called an estimate. works fairly well for me, not so well for other people. but it's as good a place to start as any.

I currently weigh 175 at 5'11", but that's with a visible amount of weight lost over the summer. I weighed 190 at my 'peak' though. I do consume quite a bit of dairy, although it's mostly milk. I eat eggs for breakfast regularly, about four with some oats and fruit. I used to drink one protein shake per day, max. I very rarely eat soy or other 'fake meat' product, it's usually when I have chicken nugget cravings.

I'm training an impromptu bodyweight routine now, but there's a free gym on campus I'm going to start going to to get some freeweight exercise in.

if you're slowly gaining weight (about 0,5 - 1lb per week) and strenght - you're doing fine.

yes, free weights would be great! just choose a solid strenght training rather than some asinine roidhead-promoted, 5-day a week high volume bodybuilding routine

Sorry, it's been awhile since I checked here. It's been a hectic week.

I'm maintaining the same weight, but I want to gain. I have been progressing in reps for the bodyweight exercises though. I want to stay with the bodyweight routine for awhile longer, until I feel comfortable with diet. The college gym is less than a mile from my apartment, and will be there anytime I'm ready to move into more intense training.

I've been doing some reading and thinking, and I've been relying too much on dairy for protein. I am going to finish the remainder of the dairy in the apartment, but will not be purchasing it anymore. I need to put together a fast and easy meal plan for my lifestyle, that meets my protein and caloric needs. I could probably stand to increase calories from 2500, but I will do that gradually.

Suggestions on easy legume or bean-based meals would be useful. I'm going to be reading through some recipe websites too.

I have previously taken CytoGainer for a protein and weight-gain supplement with good results, but what vegan alternatives are there? I have seen Vega championed on this website, and it seems like an affordable option, for a simpler shake. I may order a tub of that, if I can't find some more appealing companies out there.

It's going to be tough to get the protein and calories I need on a budget, with fast meals.

if you want to maintaing your current weight while gaining lean mass at the same time, it means you want to lose fat and gain muscle simultaneously. while this isn't impossible, it is pretty tough. you will need to play around with your caloric intake during the week - try to eat more on training days and below maintenance on rest days. at "worst", you'll lose the fat but will keep the muscle, which means that your bodyweight will go down a bit. but I wouldn't worry about that - after all, it's just chub, useless dead weight.

there are no cheaper protein sources than whole foods - you can't beat beans, lentils and tofu. no need for expensive protein powders.

Here's some rough meals I'm going to include in a weekly plan. I need to brainstorm or find some easy legume/bean meals to add to this. I would probably include a protein smoothie with breakfast. I would probably eat breakfast and pack a smoothie to carry to morning classes, I good cold drink could be great to keep me awake. I'm not someone who minds eating the same things every day, if it tastes good. If this can stay vegan, that would be great, I doubt I'm going to completely abolish all dairy products from the diet, but I can start removing them. Any suggestions on other meals would be appreciated.

Oats w/ Soy Milk, Fruit, Vitamins, OJ

Protein Shake, Fruit, Water

Whole Grain PB/Banana Sandwich, Salad, Water

Stir Fry (Tofu, Veggies, Rice, Sauce), Water

Hummus/Veggie Sandwich, Water

Vegetable Soups (Minestrone, Lentil, or Bean), Salad, Water

Smoothie w/ Protein, Water

I see that a lot of people here eat quinoa regularly. I've never had any, so what are some easy and tasteful ways to prepare it? Is it a main dish, a supplementary/side, or what? It looks like a good source of protein and other nutrition.

What vegan alternative to milk has the highest concentrated protein and other nutrition, almond, rice, soy, any others? Which one tastes the best in cooking?

Sorry to load this thread down with a million questions.

I'm not someone who minds eating the same things every day, if it tastes good.

same here, mate!

If this can stay vegan, that would be great, I doubt I'm going to completely abolish all dairy products from the diet, but I can start removing them.

hey, don't sell yourself short you can do it!

Oats w/ Soy Milk, Fruit, Vitamins, OJ

Protein Shake, Fruit, Water

Whole Grain PB/Banana Sandwich, Salad, Water

Stir Fry (Tofu, Veggies, Rice, Sauce), Water

Hummus/Veggie Sandwich, Water

Vegetable Soups (Minestrone, Lentil, or Bean), Salad, Water

Smoothie w/ Protein, Water

seems fine to me. I'd drop the oj, though. again, just monitor your weight weekly - if it's slowly creeping up (about 0,5-1lb a week), you're doing fine. if not, EAT MOARRR!!!

I see that a lot of people here eat quinoa regularly. I've never had any, so what are some easy and tasteful ways to prepare it? Is it a main dish, a supplementary/side, or what? It looks like a good source of protein and other nutrition.

yeah, it is a pretty good source of protein. you can substitute it for rice and other grains or just eat it as a main dish with a big-ass veggie & tofu salad. I'm sure someone else will post some tasty recipes - I'm not that skilled a chef.

What vegan alternative to milk has the highest concentrated protein and other nutrition, almond, rice, soy, any others? Which one tastes the best in cooking?

soy milk has the most protein and the most overall calories. yet I wouldn't write the other plant milks off just because of that - they're just as (if not more) tasty and nutritious. well, maybe except rice milk.

Sorry to load this thread down with a million questions.

no need to feel sorry - questions is what this forum is for

I would just add that homemade hemp milk (easy to make- just blend hemp seeds with water and strain it if you want) can probably be as high in protein and calories as soy milk if you're looking to diversify your protein sources and it's rich in omega3s, etc.

But soy is definitely the best in terms of protein of store bought milks (commercial hemp milk is pretty diluted) and it's the cheapest. Plus store bought milks are usually supplemented with calcium, D and B-12 which is nice.

• 2 weeks later...

I like to eat lots of pumpkin seeds and oats. Make you feel really full and have nice amounts of protein in them. If you mix in cocoa powder with the oats you get another type of protein as organic cocoa powder can have a fairly high amount and has all the antioxidants and some other vitamins to boot.