How do you make your Protein shake?

Here is another question I had on my mind for a while

apparently, It is important for post work out shakes to consist of just simple, easy digestible protein and carbs. The protein and carb ratio should be 1 protein for every 3-4 carbs. And since I consume 16 grams of protein, I should have 48- 64 grams of carbs.

My first question is...is this right?

My second question is... I have protein shakes, not only when I am working out, but any other time of the day too. Do I still have to follow the 1 gram of protein to 3-4 gram of carb rule?

My third question is... How do you make your protein shake? I don't use white sugar, or Gatorade, or stuff like that. I use whole foods for carbs such as banana, dates, and agave.

so...

1 medium banana = 27 grams of carbs

1 scoop of Sprouted brown rice protein (16 grams of protein)

2 dates = 36 grams of carbs

1-2 cups of water

16 grams of protein

63 grams of carbs

Are my statements true?

&

how do you make yours?

I invented a spectacular one this morning--actually kept me full all through my workout, which is a miracle.

1/2 C rolled oats, blended alone until powder

1 C. soy milk

3/4 C. frozen strawberries

2 t. raw cocoa powder

2 T. fructose

1/2 scoop vanilla Vegan Proteins+ powder (Genuine Health brand)

1 t. coconut milk

22 tasty grams of protein and low-glycemic: Frickin' awesome!

Herc

When I was trying to gain weight:

2 bananas

2 cups strawberries

1 cup soymilk

1tbsp flax oil

1tbsp coconut oil

1tbsp lecithin

1/2cup ground up oats

1 scoop protein

some spinach

Somewhere beyond 1000cal.

Now it's just:

2 bananas

1 cup berries

1 scoop protein

1 tbsp flax oil

some spinach

because i'm cutting.

I invented a spectacular one this morning--actually kept me full all through my workout, which is a miracle.

1/2 C rolled oats, blended alone until powder

1 C. soy milk

3/4 C. frozen strawberries

2 t. raw cocoa powder

2 T. fructose

1/2 scoop vanilla Vegan Proteins+ powder (Genuine Health brand)

1 t. coconut milk

22 tasty grams of protein and low-glycemic: Frickin' awesome!

Herc

Fructose? Where do you get something like that?

Fructose? Where do you get something like that?

Fructose is a granulated sugar made only from fruits and sometimes beets. It has a very low glycemic index, 20, compared to cane sugar which is the baseline at 100. I get mine in the bulk foods section at New Seasons which is our Portland, OR, natural foods store. Other health food stores should have it and I've even seen it in larger supermarkets next to the sugar substitutes in the baking aisle. http://www.iherb.com/Fructose?gclid=CM6egNK8oqMCFQ4MbAod5UMc4Q

It's great for when you want the taste of a little bit of sugar without the freakin' sugar high and crash afterward. I actually get nauseated when I eat conventional sugary foods (sucrose) so I stick to fructose and my own vegan baking. But don't cook with fructose, stay with the organic sugar for that. Fructose loses its sweetness when you heat it too high, so keep it for the smoothies, sherbets, and strawberry-dipping on special occasions. Mine is in my coffee right now. Mmmmmmmm!

I've given my friends granulated fructose in place of sugar for their coffee and tea at my dinner parties and they never knew the difference!

Here's some good info on fructose: http://www.caloriecontrol.org/sweeteners-and-lite/fructose

Herc

Mine's based on the recovery drink from the Thrive Diet book, with a banana instead of agave syrup (since I can't get it locally anymore. dulse is missing too, when i get my next shop I'll be adding 1tsp dulse flakes back in).

4 dates

1 banana

Juice from 1/2 lemon 1/2 lime

Scoop of powder (65% pea, 25% rice, 15% hemp)

1tsp omega oil mix

1tsp maca (sometimes)

This is after my tbsp of EAA's mixed in water. I'll prob switch my scoop to 70% pea, 30% rice soon to save some money, hemp's expensive.

I think the high carbs are only really optimal post workout, I guess you can have what you want the rest of the time!