Anyone on healthy vegan, not junkfood vegan diet?

I used to be a junk food vegan till I started listening to Gary Null's radio show. He is a health expert, author, dietician, organic farmer and general renaissance man who champions a vegan diet, holistic healing, etc. Daily on air he reads a few studies on the latest in health and nutrition, especially ones that prove the potential benefits of a healthy vegan diet. Most vegans though seem to be vegan for moral and ethical reasons so I don't think health benefits will sway them.

Food is really a social construct, we are raised to accept certain things as food by family, advertising and school. Michael Pollan developed a simple axiom: "eat real food, mostly plants." Unfortunately today corporations are what control the construct of what we consider food or not, and alot of what they are branding as food is of dubious nutritional value. So it is vital that in our epoch we don't take for granted the "food" we are eating, because unfortunately that is often likely to be an unhealthy construct of dubious use to humanity that just adds to some corporate bottom line.

Some of the suggestions for unhealthy things to avoid that I have implemented in my diet:

1. no white sugar, no agave, etc. (He advocates honey which I what I use currently but I also use dates alot for shakes and I may try panela natural sugar.)

2. no salt (He advocates using one part lime juice and one part lemon juice as a healthy salt substitute. He also read a study on one program championing Himalayan pink salt, which I don't use, however I do sometimes use Celtic Sea Salt)

3. no breads

4. no highly processed foods (tofu is a go, soy burgers, chips and such a no)

5. no vegetable or other unhealthy oils

6. no margarine

7. no coffee which has toxins, spikes your insulin and too much caffeine(Instead use tea which is actually a great antioxidant and healthy. Also he once read a study about Swiss or German researchers who created some filtered coffee beans that have the toxins removed and only the healthy, beneficial portions of the bean intact. I don't know what ever came of this, but I hope it is commercialized soon since while I have gotten over my coffee addiction I still miss the taste.)

8. avoid inorganic foods(I do not follow this one so much due to cost unfortunately.)

Here are some quick fix healthy vegan staples in my diet:

1. peanuts mixed with raisins

2. unstrained homemade cashew nutmilk made in vitamix

3. Scottish cut oatmeal(I really like the texture most of this cut of oatmeal), with cashew nutmilk and honey

4. pre-peeled and boiled chestnuts sold at a local fruit store

5. avocados(easy to peel less effected by pesticides)

6. bananas(too easy to peel)

7. Shakes made in my vitamix, unfortunately they mostly taste bad because I use whatever is in the fridge with little rhyme or planning

Are there are any other healthy vegans on this forum?(There doesn't seem to be many.) What are some of your quick fix, healthy food staples?(Not stuff that you have to cook for a long period or that take too much preparation.)

Edited by NicholasV

Are there are any other healthy vegans on this forum?(There doesn't seem to be many.)

Lawdy!

Nope, you're the only healthy vegan here. Congratulations.

hehe

1. IMO agave is just as good for ya as agave, which is to say, not very healthy. Also dates, meh.

2. Interesting idea for the lime/lemon juice. I will try that out today thanks.

3. Sprouted bread isn't bad. I will have that every so often, when I'm feeling sandwichy.

4. Meh. I want protein!

5,6. Fair enough, those are usually the least healthy additions to a vegan diet.

7. Perhaps you should read the studies yourself? I don't see anything wrong with locally grown organic coffee (besides the taste heh)

1. Upgrade your nut! (if you can afford it)

2. Yum, try almond too.

3. Nom nom oats

4. Interesting, never had em.

5. Yes! Delicious.

6. Upgrade your fruit! Organic oranges are easy to peel, and getting cheaper these days...

7. Hmm, check around the net (food.com has about a million, and you can search through only vegan options)

I think there are alot of healthy vegans out there. Some of my staples are oatmeal, quick and easy. I use stevia alot as it is a natural sweetener and tastes awesome. Also, I never forget flax seed oil to put over my veggies. Also love unsweetened almond milk to mix with protein shakes and just straight up. Lo cal, low carb and tasty.

I used to be a junk food vegan till I started listening to Gary Null's radio show. He is a health expert, author, dietician, organic farmer and general renaissance man who champions a vegan diet, holistic healing, etc. Daily on air he reads a few studies on the latest in health and nutrition, especially ones that prove the potential benefits of a healthy vegan diet. Most vegans though seem to be vegan for moral and ethical reasons so I don't think health benefits will sway them.

Food is really a social construct, we are raised to accept certain things as food by family, advertising and school. Michael Pollan developed a simple axiom: "eat real food, mostly plants." Unfortunately today corporations are what control the construct of what we consider food or not, and alot of what they are branding as food is of dubious nutritional value. So it is vital that in our epoch we don't take for granted the "food" we are eating, because unfortunately that is often likely to be an unhealthy construct of dubious use to humanity that just adds to some corporate bottom line.

Some of the suggestions for unhealthy things to avoid that I have implemented in my diet:

1. no white sugar, no agave, etc. (He advocates honey which I what I use currently but I also use dates alot for shakes and I may try panela natural sugar.)

2. no salt (He advocates using one part lime juice and one part lemon juice as a healthy salt substitute. He also read a study on one program championing Himalayan pink salt, which I don't use, however I do sometimes use Celtic Sea Salt)

3. no breads

6. no margarine

7. no coffee which has toxins, spikes your insulin and too much caffeine(Instead use tea which is actually a great antioxidant and healthy. Also he once read a study about Swiss or German researchers who created some filtered coffee beans that have the toxins removed and only the healthy, beneficial portions of the bean intact. I don't know what ever came of this, but I hope it is commercialized soon since while I have gotten over my coffee addiction I still miss the taste.)

8. avoid inorganic foods(I do not follow this one so much due to cost unfortunately.)

Here are some quick fix healthy vegan staples in my diet:

1. peanuts mixed with raisins

2. unstrained homemade cashew nutmilk made in vitamix

3. Scottish cut oatmeal(I really like the texture most of this cut of oatmeal), with cashew nutmilk and honey

4. pre-peeled and boiled chestnuts sold at a local fruit store

5. avocados(easy to peel less effected by pesticides)

6. bananas(too easy to peel)

7. Shakes made in my vitamix, unfortunately they mostly taste bad because I use whatever is in the fridge with little rhyme or planning

Are there are any other healthy vegans on this forum?(There doesn't seem to be many.) What are some of your quick fix, healthy food staples?(Not stuff that you have to cook for a long period or that take too much preparation.)

What "toxins" does coffee have?

http://men.webmd.com/features/coffee-new-health-food

Also, you are aware that peanuts have a large amount of acrylamide, which is a neurotoxin. They also are potentially contaminated by aflatoxin.

Would choose coffee over peanuts.

Also, the no salt thing isn't necessarily a great choice, at least if you're eating truly unprocessed and are athletic.

Peanuts are also quite acidific.

I wouldn't say coffee is a health food, besides it is not even food. No calories, nothing to fuel the body, and does not hydrate well like water. It assaults your neurons, it is a drug in the stimulants category. A relatively small amount can kill a mouse. Funny because many of the so-called "health food" like coffee, alcool, chocolate are also in the list of foods that pregnant women must avoid.

Salt, it is not food either. A food is something that can make a meal on its own. I wonder who would eat a plate full of salt. It can kill too. Humans started to put salt on food since not so long ago. In small amounts it is not too bad, like all poisons. But most people use too much salt. Especially in Canada... If we compare a product sold in Canada and then the same product processed in another countrie, the canadian one always have much more salt in it, and canadians also add salt on their food.

Pepper, vinegar, none of this is food.

despite the arrogance dripping from the OP, I'm quite interested in this "good" vs. "bad" food debate.

1) afaik, consuming salt isn't such a big deal. according to dr. john mcdougall, we didn't develop a taste for saltiness for nothing. besides, our bodies are pretty nifty at keeping homeostasis, so if you ingest more sodium than needed for the day, you simply excrete the surplus through sweat, urine, etc. there are many cultures where it is customary to eat a lot of salt and those people are usually fairly healthy. so, in conclusion, while there is no biological need for us to consume additional salt, it doesn't seem to do much, if any, harm if we do. also, sea salt contains some important trace minerals.

here's an article by mcdougall: salt: the scapegoat for the western diet.

2) aflatoxin is found not just in peanuts but also nuts, corn, grains, spices, soybeans and probably elsewhere too. should we cut all of those out as well? aflatoxin, it seems, is pretty unavoidable, so just try to minimize it and chill out. stressing over minute amounts of toxins in our food supply will probably do more harm to your health than the toxins themselves. besides, toxicity is all around us 24/7 - dyes, varnish, plastics, pollutants in the air, soil, water, etc. almost everything is a health hazard these days.

here's a blog post by brad pilon, the author of "eat stop eat": is peanut butter safe?.

3) coffee as such isn't as evil as some people try to portray it. it actually contains pretty strong antioxidants. the only instance it becomes detrimental is when it is consumed in large quantities. a cup a day is fine as far as I'm concerned.

4) alcohol is not a poison, either. it doesn't have any metaphysical "essence" which makes it bad regardless of quantities, frequency of consumption, etc. beer and wine possess very potent antioxidants and alcohol has been demonstrated to have a protective effect against heart disease and degeneration of cognitive function if consumed in small amounts. and even if this will be proven wrong some time in the future, the moderation rule applies here. stressing over things like that are more psychologically and physically harmful than the things themselves.

5) fallen_horse, you can get plenty of protein from whole foods. I average about 150-160g per day with minimal processed stuff no problem. just nail plenty of beans, lentils, buckwheat, quinoa, amaranth, nuts, seeds, veggies like spinach and broccoli (and other dark green ones), and a bit of wheat germ and tvp, and you're set.

I think I eat a healthy vegan diet. Usually for morning I eat fruits. I can't get down anything else. After workout I eat some beans or legumes. Through the day I usually eat grains, but gluten free, gluten have begative effects on me. For dinner I usually have a big green smoothie with 2-3 bananas in it and later a salad with some sesame seeds. I don't use salt, oils(maybe extra virgin olive oil sometimes but not more than 2 tablespoons daily), and I don't eat fermented foods.

The amount of times i have read something on the like this and then come on here and told everyone its "the way" and then come to the realization i was just being a newfag embarrasses me.

I apologize to everyone i have done this too.

"newfag"? Really?

3. no breads

6. no margarine

that's basically what i do.

there's just a few things to work on.. like... i still use a bit of olive oil to cook, and i still use a small amount of salt in some meals (although i have reduced salt intake to almost zero, i still use a little bit, as it's really hard to just quit it overnight, specially when you're used to eating things with salt since forever)

I see that there is alot of commentary on salt. I have consistently tried to eat no salt, based on the thought that all salt is bad. Remember salt is a necessary element for survival. This is especially true if you sweat alot and live in warm climates. Everytime I go to the doctor they tell me that I need more salt in my body. Without some sodium we die. It also has iodine in it, another necessary element in our bodies. Be careful about excluding all salt, it is harmful.

Paige, of course one must get sodium in some form or another from nutrition. No one argues that.

@jcdenton

Are you aware that for each "health food" you mention here (alcohol, salt, coffee) you say we must be careful not to take too much ? That's not my definition of health food. Who ever heard : eat an apple everyday, but not more than one, otherwise the effects will invert and the health benefits will turn into risks. ?? All this "super-food" anti-cancer new fashion from nutritionists affiliated with the government is just to

increase the sells of wine, coffee, green tea and dark chocolate, and it works... They say those foods are medecine... This is not a good thing, since all drugs come with side effects. Those "super-food" have side effects. And taking medecine daily as preventive dose is a very dangerous idea. The body needs to detox of all these substances.

despite the arrogance dripping from the OP, I'm quite interested in this "good" vs. "bad" food debate.

1) afaik, consuming salt isn't such a big deal. according to dr. john mcdougall, we didn't develop a taste for saltiness for nothing. besides, our bodies are pretty nifty at keeping homeostasis, so if you ingest more sodium than needed for the day, you simply excrete the surplus through sweat, urine, etc. there are many cultures where it is customary to eat a lot of salt and those people are usually fairly healthy. so, in conclusion, while there is no biological need for us to consume additional salt, it doesn't seem to do much, if any, harm if we do. also, sea salt contains some important trace minerals.

here's an article by mcdougall: salt: the scapegoat for the western diet.

I've read other things: too much salt promotes hypertension. It is also an important cause of cardiovascular disease and a risk factor for stroke and kidney disease. Too much of something can be harmful, you can't just say: the body will simply excrete the surplus. There wouldn't be any disease if it was that easy, my friend. Concerning trace minerals, it is better to get those from greens and other food, don't you think ? Tobacco contain trace minerals, so tobacco is good for health, right ?

3) coffee as such isn't as evil as some people try to portray it. it actually contains pretty strong antioxidants. the only instance it becomes detrimental is when it is consumed in large quantities. a cup a day is fine as far as I'm concerned.

4) alcohol is not a poison, either. it doesn't have any metaphysical "essence" which makes it bad regardless of quantities, frequency of consumption, etc. beer and wine possess very potent antioxidants and alcohol has been demonstrated to have a protective effect against heart disease and degeneration of cognitive function if consumed in small amounts. and even if this will be proven wrong some time in the future, the moderation rule applies here. stressing over things like that are more psychologically and physically harmful than the things themselves.

About coffee: antioxydants in it doesn't mean its healthy. Cyanure could have antioxydants, it wouldn't be healthy.

What you say about alcool is an insult to alcoholics that die because of this poison. IT IS a poison, even one drop is a tiny harm, and then it increases exponentially with amount you consume. Studies show that it is a risk of cancers : mounth, esophagus, stomach, liver, prostate... everywhere alcohol touches, it can cause cancer. So if you guys use antiseptic oral rinse, buy one which is alcohol-free (and not tested on animals). The fact that alcohol give protection to arteries is useless if you die of a cancer. If you eat well you don't need heart disease protection from alcohol. To have a protective effect against heart disease one must drink 1-2 glasses of alcohol, but this same amount increases cancers up to 30%, and the synergy with cigarette smoke make it worse. Those who say red wine is good for antioxydants, it is also ridiculous, since it is much better to eat grapes or any fruits, for antioxydants, without any side effects.

Edited by I'm Your Man

Amount defines wether something is poison or medecine... NonSense. Besides, medecine never was supposed to be good for health, otherwise people would consume it also when they are not sick. Something is either good or bad, can't be both at same time. In tiny amounts, this susbstance is less harmful, in greater amounts it becomes more harmful. One pill might give an headache, 10 pills might put you in a coma or even kill you. One apple is good, 10 apples is even better; more sugar for fuel, more nutrition, more vitamins.

Amount defines wether something is poison or medecine... NonSense. Besides, medecine never was supposed to be good for health, otherwise people would consume it also when they are not sick. Something is either good or bad, can't be both at same time. In tiny amounts, this susbstance is less harmful, in greater amounts it becomes more harmful. One pill might give an headache, 10 pills might put you in a coma or even kill you. One apple is good, 10 apples is even better; more sugar for fuel, more nutrition, more vitamins.

I agree to some degree with you. But too much of anything is not good. I think 30 apples at once is bad, for example.

What do you think about garlic, chili pepper, onions and other spices? People say those things are good for you in small amounts, and I love all spices, but I noticed I feel better and celarer when not using them. I can also eat food with no spices now, and still enjoy it.

BTW, I eat pretty healthy Sometimes I see vegans eating white bread, fake "meats" and "sausages", vegan "cheese", etc. I think it is not healthy at all and it is highly processed food. I even wonder if I should decrease the amount of tofu I eat.

I'm one of the few that went vegan for health - actually I gravitated towards plant-food, and never got around to meat again.

I respect ethical vegans, but getting them to understand what's unhealthy is like talking with meat-eaters(still addicted to junk)

16 years after "going" vegan, I finally got to a diet healthy enough to make me feel great. Not sure if I'm alowed to say the numeric name, but for a hint, see today's date.

What are some of your quick fix, healthy staples?

I know there's a debate developing in this thread over salt, but one of my favorite recipes is really great for getting healthy, non-junky, vegan electrolytes and carbs. Get a ripe lime, roll it on the counter a couple times with the weight of your arm, then juice it into a glass. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt (iodized if you suspect you have thyroid trouble) and a few ice cubes. Then add 2 or 3 shots of 30 dollar a pint tequila. Patrón is good. Sip slowly and watch the world go by. This recipe is also good for reducing stress.

I'm one of the few that went vegan for health - actually I gravitated towards plant-food, and never got around to meat again.

I respect ethical vegans, but getting them to understand what's unhealthy is like talking with meat-eaters(still addicted to junk)

16 years after "going" vegan, I finally got to a diet healthy enough to make me feel great. Not sure if I'm alowed to say the numeric name, but for a hint, see today's date.

80/10/10?

I agree to some degree with you. But too much of anything is not good. I think 30 apples at once is bad, for example.

I know what you mean, but in that case, the stomach will tell you the limit, before you are able to eat a dangerous amount of apples. There's a huge difference between 30 bananas or apples, or eating an 8 kilos watermelon, compared to taking 5mg or even mcg of medecine. In the case of fruits the death is defined by the limit of the body to digest a huge amount of food at same time, in the case of drugs it is really because of the substance itself.

What do you think about garlic, chili pepper, onions and other spices? People say those things are good for you in small amounts, and I love all spices, but I noticed I feel better and celarer when not using them. I can also eat food with no spices now, and still enjoy it.

Yeah its better to use fresh herbs like cilantro, parsley, basil, etc... The stuff you mentioned can irritate the cells and organs. If eating something makes us cry, its not a good sign.

I even wonder if I should decrease the amount of tofu I eat.
Fermented soy like miso and tempeh are said to be much healthier than unfermented products like tofu, tvp and soymilk.

Are you aware that for each "health food" you mention here (alcohol, salt, coffee) you say we must be careful not to take too much ? That's not my definition of health food. Who ever heard : eat an apple everyday, but not more than one, otherwise the effects will invert and the health benefits will turn into risks. ?? All this "super-food" anti-cancer new fashion from nutritionists affiliated with the government is just to

increase the sells of wine, coffee, green tea and dark chocolate, and it works... They say those foods are medecine... This is not a good thing, since all drugs come with side effects. Those "super-food" have side effects. And taking medecine daily as preventive dose is a very dangerous idea. The body needs to detox of all these substances.

there are no foods that will not be harmful if eaten in too large a quantity.

as for conspiracies (I have to admit - I agree with you to an extent), I got my information mostly from vegetarian/vegan diet-supporting experts like john mcdougall, for example.

the body is detoxing every day anyway and if you don't overdo on any of the mentioned substances - nothing bad is going to happen. don't be so obsessive-compulsive about every single bite that reaches your mouth - that's just not healthy.

I've read other things: too much salt promotes hypertension. It is also an important cause of cardiovascular disease and a risk factor for stroke and kidney disease. Too much of something can be harmful, you can't just say: the body will simply excrete the surplus. There wouldn't be any disease if it was that easy, my friend. Concerning trace minerals, it is better to get those from greens and other food, don't you think ? Tobacco contain trace minerals, so tobacco is good for health, right ?

there are studies and then there are studies. some show negative effects from larger amounts of salt, others show that those who consume additional salt live longer and healthier. bottom line, a little salt will probably do no harm to you, so if you like saltier food - go ahead.

About coffee: antioxydants in it doesn't mean its healthy. Cyanure could have antioxydants, it wouldn't be healthy.

What you say about alcool is an insult to alcoholics that die because of this poison. IT IS a poison, even one drop is a tiny harm, and then it increases exponentially with amount you consume. Studies show that it is a risk of cancers : mounth, esophagus, stomach, liver, prostate... everywhere alcohol touches, it can cause cancer. So if you guys use antiseptic oral rinse, buy one which is alcohol-free (and not tested on animals). The fact that alcohol give protection to arteries is useless if you die of a cancer. If you eat well you don't need heart disease protection from alcohol. To have a protective effect against heart disease one must drink 1-2 glasses of alcohol, but this same amount increases cancers up to 30%, and the synergy with cigarette smoke make it worse. Those who say red wine is good for antioxydants, it is also ridiculous, since it is much better to eat grapes or any fruits, for antioxydants, without any side effects.

where have I mentioned smoking being healthy?

as for everything else, I just don't see any point in arguing any further - I know how fanatical you are, so it would be a complete waste of my time.

consider yourself the "winner" of this discussion, because I'm out.