Soy protein shake and estrogen!

xHectorx

Hi! This is my first post i've ever done in this forum, i try to find one post that already answer my question but i didn't found it so i thought you can help me

I've a vegan for about 5 years now and i'm starting to make some exercise (i didn't make any exercise at all : ), im doing cardio everyday and lifting some weights! (e.i. on mondays i work out chest, tuesday tricep and so on) i started to drink soy protein shake but i've read, like a lot of us, that eating too much soy may interfer with the estrogen that male naturally produce. I do eat tofu, soybeans, TVP (im from Mexico and TVP is very cheap down here) and i want to know if its better to cut off the soy protein shake and take other shake?, like pea protein (tough i've read wonderful things about pea protein) And also if i continue to drink the soy shake what could be like the side effects?

Thank you so much for takin your time and sorry if i misspelled some words!

Greetings from Mexico amigos

here's a great article about everything concerning soy: john robbins - what about soy?

and here's another good one: dr. john berardi and ryan andrews - soy: what's the big deal?

bottom line, if you don't consume huge amounts of the stuff - you'll be just fine.

so, if you're already eating a lot of soy, choosing a soy-free protein powder might be a good idea. although, honestly, I don't see any reason for nailing protein shakes as you can get all the protein you want from whole foods.

overall calories are more important than protein.

also, what kind of routine are you currently following?

You can find this article as a "sticky post" in the index of the nutrition section here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8590

I would recommend searching on "soy" in the search engine on this board and on veganfitness.com. You will find plenty of posts debunking fears you may have about consuming soy.

I also collect reassuring articles about soy from good sources in a special section on my blog:

http://beforewisdom.com/blog/?cat=23

By the time you add up tofu, tempeh, TVP, most fake meats, soy milk, and many junk foods (soy oil), most vegans get quite a bit of soy in their diet. I haven't noticed any effects, but I think the axiom to follow is, "Too much of anything is never a good thing." I would use pea/rice/hemp just for peace of mind, but that's just me...

Wouh! thank you so much for the quick answers! i´ve read the articles you guys gave me, (jcdenton and beforewisdom) very interesting, i think i will finish the protein jar i already have and try pea/hemp or brown rice protein, just to change my protein sources.

jcdenton, the current program im doing its kind of like this

Everyday i do cardio (20 min on bike and 20 min jogging)

Monday - 20 min on bike, chest (i do 4 different exercises), 15-20 min jogging and abs.

Tuesday - 20 on bike , tricep (4 different exercises), 15-20 min jogging.

Wednesday - 20 on bike, shoulder (4 ex), 15-20 min jogging and abs

Thursday- 20 on bike, bicep (4 ex), 15-20 min jogging.

Friday - 20 on bike, back (4 ex) 15-20 jogging and abs

(i got to be honest, sometimes i don´t go on Saturday but when i go is like this)

Saturday - 10-15 min on bike and i work out my legs

and i rest on Sundays

That´s pretty much my routine!

Also if you think im doing something wrong or how can i improve my routine let me know

Saludos

Due to a health condition, I drastically reduced my soy intake. I actually feel a lot better. Instead of using just soy protein all the time(I still do sometimes), mix it up! Try hemp or pea one day, and have soy like once a week if you tend to eat a lot of tofu and things.

I cut a lot of wheat from my diet too (same reason).

I eat big bowls of oatmeal, I put seeds on my salads, and have hempshakes everyday. I also eat a lot of spinach and things like that (green poo lol!)

So, you CAN get lots of protein without soy, or with very little soy.

jcdenton, the current program im doing its kind of like this

Everyday i do cardio (20 min on bike and 20 min jogging)

Monday - 20 min on bike, chest (i do 4 different exercises), 15-20 min jogging and abs.

Tuesday - 20 on bike , tricep (4 different exercises), 15-20 min jogging.

Wednesday - 20 on bike, shoulder (4 ex), 15-20 min jogging and abs

Thursday- 20 on bike, bicep (4 ex), 15-20 min jogging.

Friday - 20 on bike, back (4 ex) 15-20 jogging and abs

(i got to be honest, sometimes i don´t go on Saturday but when i go is like this)

Saturday - 10-15 min on bike and i work out my legs

and i rest on Sundays

That´s pretty much my routine!

Also if you think im doing something wrong or how can i improve my routine let me know

Saludos

what are your current goals? muscle gain? strenght gain? loss of bodyfat? "general" fitness and health?

to me it seems that you're exercising way too much. especially if, as you said in your first post, you haven't been exercising at all before. there's no need to train that often to reach any of the goals I listed above. it can also easily lead to ever-training - both physical and mental - which will force you to lay off all training for entire weeks... if not months! I'd overtrained many times in the past, thinking that exercising like crazy will help me attain [enter any of your own desires] and failed miserably every single time.

if you want to become bigger, stronger and more fit in general, I would recommend some of the basic 3-day-per-week strenght training programs, like stronglifts (check out stronglifts.com), starting strenght, jim wendlers' 5/3/1 or some such. there's loads of solid info on the net.

you can try a lifting routine structure outlined in cubby2112's post here: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=22107&start=30 (page 3) - simple, fun and effective.

and don't forget to eat plenty of food.

feel free to ask any more questions!

cheers!

Hey jcdenton thanks for the response, my goals are more like losing bodyfat but not going all skinny, i mean, losing the extra bodyfat and at the same time try to gain a little bit of muscle, not too much, just like to stay healthy and stay fit.

on of my biggest goals its to prove that vegans are not all skinny and without a great, fit, healthy body, there´s a lot of sterotypes down here in mexico (I imagine that in the USA too, but not as much in mexico) with being vegetarian, now imagine how people react when you tell that you don´t eat any dairy, eggs nor animal products

I used to be amm well kind of a chubby guy and when i became vegan i loss a lot of weight but i get all that amm i dont know how to say it, i guess all that extra skin jaja for lack of a better word, i really want to get rid of that extra skin

what can you recommend?

Thanks bro

Hey jcdenton thanks for the response, my goals are more like losing bodyfat but not going all skinny, i mean, losing the extra bodyfat and at the same time try to gain a little bit of muscle, not too much, just like to stay healthy and stay fit.

then the most important thing is diet. you need to eat a little bit below your maintenance level, which requires a bit of experimentation if you don't know already know how much you need to eat to maintain your current bodyweight.

losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time may not be the easiest thing, but it is possible. you can try eating at or a little above maintenance on lifting days and slightly below on rest days. this way your weekly calorie balance will be negative, but, potentially, you'll be preserving - or even building some new - muscle on the higher calorie days. for example, if your maintenance caloric intake is, say, 2500kcal, you can try eating roughly 3500kcal on lifting days (and build a tad of mass) and 1200kcal on rest days (lose a tad of bodyfat). then your weekly balance will be only 2100+ and so you'll be losing fat and maybe even adding a wee bit of extra muscle. you can also try some form of intermittent fasting - seems to be working marvelously for most people who try it.

as for a lifting routine, I still recommend the ones I listed above. you need heavy weights and low(ish) reps to signal your body that even though you're on a caloric deficit, you need those muscles.

on of my biggest goals its to prove that vegans are not all skinny and without a great, fit, healthy body, there´s a lot of sterotypes down here in mexico (I imagine that in the USA too, but not as much in mexico) with being vegetarian, now imagine how people react when you tell that you don´t eat any dairy, eggs nor animal products

hey, that's one of my own motivations, too! although I'm not from the US, so I don't really know too much about how does it feel to be vegan over there.

what can you recommend?

see above.