Am I a bodybuilder or a powerlifter or what?

I occurred to me today in the gym that I am definitely not a bodybuilder. I don't lift to sculpt anything, I eat intuitively from day to day, and the idea of veins popping out on my forearms and abs jutting like a mountain range down my midrift is a turn-off. Smooth, silky, and solid as granite suits me just fine.

Then again, I'm not a powerlifter by industry standards, either. I don't do squat, bench, or deadlift but rather adjusted squats, dumbbell chest presses (and machine), and I have no interest in deadlift, whatsover. I get a thrill from the big weights but I'm not into competition.

What I do is lift hard, lift heavy, and enjoy the heck out of my exploding strength. I don't want to look like a female Arnie, I just love the endorphin rush (man, is that good stuff!). And the ease, joy, and convenience of being able to pick up almost anything without asking for help is pretty nice, too.

Is there a term for what I do other than "weight lifter?"

Baby Herc

I don't do squat, bench, or deadlift but rather adjusted squats, dumbbell chest presses (and machine), and I have no interest in deadlift

Sounds like a bodybuilder to me.

Just not ready to admit it yet :wink:

Ha, ha--I'd been calling myself one for years but now that I take a harder look at some of the lifestyles in here, particularly the competition regimens, I don't feel I can dishonor them by claiming something that I don't do. I know very well what a pro goes through, I had several friends in Denver whom I watched prep for competitions. It was surreal the lengths they would go to in order to sculpt themselves. The results were often a little scary and thought-provoking. I got a few of them to admit that it was very similar to the modeling world and all it's dietary craziness, which I dabbled in briefly (the modeling, not the craziness).

That's why I joined here; I figured my fellow vegans would be a bit more conscientious and have a better mind-body awareness than the Hydroxycut-popping nut jobs at 24 Hour Fitness. OK, OK, I know not everybody at those gyms has Borderline Personality Disorder and not everybody in here is completely sane (I've got my suspicions about a couple of you guys--Ha, ha!) but it's nicer to talk about pea protein and not have to explain it to anyone that's it's not a potty word.

"Recreational lifter," "strength athlete," bodybuilder, I just don't know. I would call myself a Dumbbell Lover but a lot of the guys at my gym might take it personally. Hahahahahhaaa!

Baby Herc.

PS: Ryan, I knew we had something in common. Now read your freakin' emails, you slacker.

Yeah, bodybuilder and powerlifter are terms that seem to apply to people who actually compete...it's like calling someone a marathoner if they just run for fun and exercise. But you're right, there's no specific term for what many people do...just tell people you're a badass motherfucker and leave it at that

Yeah, bodybuilder and powerlifter are terms that seem to apply to people who actually compete...it's like calling someone a marathoner if they just run for fun and exercise.

Yeah, I'm kind of a stickler for accuracy, especially when it comes to honoring someone's work.

But you're right, there's no specific term for what many people do...just tell people you're a badass motherfucker and leave it at that ;)

My favorite descriptive phrase, usually after stepping away from the sled, is "I move like a wrecking ball."

I think I'll just settle for "weight lifter." Then again, Gravity Guru has a nice ring to it....

Baby Herc

Yeah, bodybuilder and powerlifter are terms that seem to apply to people who actually compete...it's like calling someone a marathoner if they just run for fun and exercise.

I completely disagree with this. While it's true that you wouldn't call someone a marathoner unless they run marathons, the person who runs for fun and exercise is still a "runner". You wouldn't take that away from them because they don't compete.

To me, the term "bodybuilder" is the generic term, and one who competes is a "competitive bodybuilder". Without this distinction you lose the most obvious term for someone who trains with weights to build their body. That's too useful a term to throw away just to pander to the egos of guys who enjoy standing on stage wearing a thong and a few gallons of mahogany paint.

The "recreational bodybuilder" may also have a far more impressive physique than the "competitive bodybuilder" *. Why not honour their work?

Worth noting that I detest competitive bodybuild though, maybe that colours my view.

I think I'll just settle for "weight lifter."

Strange choice if you aren't snatching and clean and jerking

* - actually there are recreational swimmers who have more impressive physiques than some competitive bodybuilders

I think I'll just settle for "weight lifter."

Strange choice if you aren't snatching and clean and jerking

THANK YOU!

Just the other day I had to explain my chemistry class the difference between weightlifting and bodybuilding

I dont go around telling people im a bodybuilder. Others do it for me

That is first response that actually makes sense on a spiritual level

Seems a bit perverse to me. If a bodybuilder is what you are why can't it be admitted? It's not like it's any kind of boast.

Apply it to any other pastime and it sounds ridiculous. "I don't go around telling people I'm a chess player. Others do it for me"

"Just tell people you push little carved wooden figurines around a chequered board".

I don't go around telling people I'm a woman, either. It's obvious for a couple of reasons, Ha, ha! I'm sure and confident about it.

The men I admire most are the ones who very obviously put a lot of energy and devotion into sculpting a beautiful, artful, responsive body--or impressive house and property or nice toys--and yet act as if it were the most normal thing in the world to have these assets. No bragging, no pretension, just enjoying life: they are sure and confident about it. It's the ones who constantly advertise themselves that I worry about. People don't advertise unless they're trying to sell you something!

My favorite quote is "The measure of a man is the restraint with which he employs his advantage."

Love that. And love all the guys in here who let their walk be their talk.

Baby Herc

Well that settles it then, I am also in this category, whatever the term may be. I tend to do it all. If I work out with Robert I load the leg press as heavy as possible, and boy does it feel good! But I alos do more of an endurance strength workout in Body Pump. And go somewhere inbetween those two if I lift alone. At times my focus is completely off weights, and on cardio. Same thing there I can't just pick one cardio activity I need a variety.All that matters is that we're at the gym, and we're training vegan style!

Well that settles it then, I am also in this category, whatever the term may be. I tend to do it all. If I work out with Robert I load the leg press as heavy as possible, and boy does it feel good! But I alos do more of an endurance strength workout in Body Pump. And go somewhere inbetween those two if I lift alone. At times my focus is completely off weights, and on cardio. Same thing there I can't just pick one cardio activity I need a variety.All that matters is that we're at the gym, and we're training vegan style!

You said it, hsorlando! More flexing, less labeling!

Baby Herc