Jump to content

L-glutamine vs. Creatine?


Recommended Posts

What's the difference between the two? I'm currently taking North Coast Naturals l-glutamine. I've heard good things about creatine, though.

 

Do you recommend one over the other? Do they accomplish different things?

 

Also, I see Vegan Essentials sells Now Foods creatine. Any idea what the source is? Lab? I like to take in all natural products, when able.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I use Optimum Nutrition Glutamine powder during and after my workout, and I use creatine after my workout only (in my protein drink immediately following). The creatine helps with my strength gains and glutamine really helps me with my recovery. I add it to my workout drink which is usually something called Uplift by Beverly International or Rapid Drive preworkout drink by GNC, both of which are caffeine and stimulant-free. They contain beta-alanine and BCAAs, among other things. I used to use Purple Wraath by Controlled Labs, and loved that, too. No-Explode worked for a little while, but it got to the point where I had to add 3 scoops just to feel the effects.

Link to post
Share on other sites
...something called Uplift by Beverly International or Rapid Drive preworkout drink by GNC..
Any idea if either of these products are really vegan? Often leucine comes from duck feathers and I don't recognize some of the things in Uplift. I used a different BCAA product for a while before it was discovered that the manufacturer considered "synthetically derived from feathers" to mean vegan safe.

 

I've confirmed that Xtend and Purple Wraath are ok but have been striking out find many other vegan mixes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

do you think it is necessary to use these products? I'm relatively new to bodybuilding and totally ignorant about supplements. Are these things healthy and safe? I bought vitamin B12 few days ago, and then I read that synthetic vitamin B12 is produced in laboratory with the help of genetically modified bacteria!!! (and is that vegan, technically?) I threw the vitamins immediately away! How are these creatine and glutamine stuff produced?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Creatine, otherwise known as methyl guanidine acetic acid, is made up of three amino acids in arginine, histidine and methionine. It can be synthesized in a lab or the liver can combine these amino acids and synthesize it's own creatine. What that essentially means is, we produce it naturally. In fact, most people synthesize about a gram a day, and those who eat red meat synthesize even more. 95% of the creatine in our body is stored in skeletal muscle, with the other 5% in the liver, kidneys and brain. When energy is needed, ATP will cleave off one of it's phosphate groups, becoming ADP (Adenosine Diphosphate), and thus provide the body with immediate energy.

 

Creatine phosphate, with the donation of its phosphate group, allows the adenosine-diphosphate to become adenosine-triphosphate again. Thus, you recover quicker, secondary to the quick re-synthesis of ATP Creatine has also been directly related to enhanced exercise performance. The more creatine in a given muscle, the better it will be able to complete a given task.

 

Glutamine is highly in demand throughout the body. It is used in the gut and immune system extensively to maintain optimal performance. 60% of free-form amino acids floating in skeletal muscles is L-glutamine. L-glutamine plays a very important role in protein metabolism, and it appears to be a very important nutrient for body builders. When supplemented, it may help body builders reduce the amount of muscle deterioration that occurs because other tissues that need glutamine will not rob the glutamine stored in the muscle cells.

Link to post
Share on other sites
I bought vitamin B12 few days ago, and then I read that synthetic vitamin B12 is produced in laboratory with the help of genetically modified bacteria!!! (and is that vegan, technically?) I threw the vitamins immediately away!

 

All b-12 is produced by bacteria. I'm not sure why they would need to use genetically modified bacteria but it probably just increases the efficiency of the b-12 generation. I'm not really sure what your fear is in taking vitamins produced from gmo bacteria though. It can't be healthwise since I don't see how the b-12 itself would be any different if it was generated by non-gmo bacteria. If it's a fear that the gmo bacteria will displace non-gmo bacteria of the same species, I wouldn't really be worried there either since more efficient b-12 generation is probably not a competitive advantage.

 

And yes, using bacteria is vegan. They're single celled organisms with no nervous system of any kind. What's funny is that you use yeast in your baking all the time vege.

Link to post
Share on other sites
I bought vitamin B12 few days ago, and then I read that synthetic vitamin B12 is produced in laboratory with the help of genetically modified bacteria!!! (and is that vegan, technically?) I threw the vitamins immediately away!

 

All b-12 is produced by bacteria. I'm not sure why they would need to use genetically modified bacteria but it probably just increases the efficiency of the b-12 generation. I'm not really sure what your fear is in taking vitamins produced from gmo bacteria though. It can't be healthwise since I don't see how the b-12 itself would be any different if it was generated by non-gmo bacteria. If it's a fear that the gmo bacteria will displace non-gmo bacteria of the same species, I wouldn't really be worried there either since more efficient b-12 generation is probably not a competitive advantage.

 

And yes, using bacteria is vegan. They're single celled organisms with no nervous system of any kind. What's funny is that you use yeast in your baking all the time vege.

 

I don't know about that B12 from GM bacteria... it seems just too synthetic and unnatural to me. I don't think humans are actually supposed to take pills and if we have to, then something is wrong with our diet. I don't know why I bought those pill in the first place... I talked to a raw vegan dietitian yesterday and she told me that B12 is also found in home made sauerkraut and unwashed fruits (organic), and that deficiency of B12 is rather a problem of absorption (wrong diet with meat and milk).

Edited by vege
Link to post
Share on other sites
Creatine, otherwise known as methyl guanidine acetic acid, is made up of three amino acids in arginine, histidine and methionine. It can be synthesized in a lab or the liver can combine these amino acids and synthesize it's own creatine. What that essentially means is, we produce it naturally. In fact, most people synthesize about a gram a day, and those who eat red meat synthesize even more. 95% of the creatine in our body is stored in skeletal muscle, with the other 5% in the liver, kidneys and brain. When energy is needed, ATP will cleave off one of it's phosphate groups, becoming ADP (Adenosine Diphosphate), and thus provide the body with immediate energy.

 

Creatine phosphate, with the donation of its phosphate group, allows the adenosine-diphosphate to become adenosine-triphosphate again. Thus, you recover quicker, secondary to the quick re-synthesis of ATP Creatine has also been directly related to enhanced exercise performance. The more creatine in a given muscle, the better it will be able to complete a given task.

 

Glutamine is highly in demand throughout the body. It is used in the gut and immune system extensively to maintain optimal performance. 60% of free-form amino acids floating in skeletal muscles is L-glutamine. L-glutamine plays a very important role in protein metabolism, and it appears to be a very important nutrient for body builders. When supplemented, it may help body builders reduce the amount of muscle deterioration that occurs because other tissues that need glutamine will not rob the glutamine stored in the muscle cells.

 

Hey, TFrasier73

thank you for this detailed explanation! Our body is really an amazing machinery!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know about that B12 from GM bacteria... it seems just too synthetic and unnatural to me. I don't think humans are actually supposed to take pills and if we have to, then something is wrong with our diet.

 

There is something wrong, a vegan diet is not natural. You need to supplement b12.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know about that B12 from GM bacteria... it seems just too synthetic and unnatural to me. I don't think humans are actually supposed to take pills and if we have to, then something is wrong with our diet.

 

There is something wrong, a vegan diet is not natural. You need to supplement b12.

 

How come? I thought we all agreed here that vegan diet is natural. I think there's plenty B12 in dirt, it's just we are washing our fruits and veggies too much. But on the other hand, we have no choice, except when we eat organic products.

BTW, sorry everybody for going off the topic with this B12 vitamin

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not vegan because it's natural. It's a progressive diet. Few if any large groups of people have practiced a fully vegan diet before so it's not natural in that sense. I'm vegan because I don't want to be part of a system that exploits animals and I believe that a vegan diet is necessary for that (and is healthy if well tended).

 

Read about the naturalistic fallacy - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naturalistic_fallacy

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...