Prayers Please

SeaSiren

My sister, age 39, was taken via Ambulance to the hospital last evening for a CVA. She is in intensive care, they are able to get her blood pressure down, but so far can not stop the bleeding in her brain. She is currently in a drug induced coma. Prognosis is not good. Please send a prayer her way.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She was stable enough to go into surgery. They were able to but a drain in and release some of the pressure. Here BP is now steady and normal. If she makes it through the night they will try to bring her out of the coma to see if she has any response.

I have not been up to see her yet as I am here with my father who doesn't feel he can see her like this. He is in bad health himself, so I support his decision. And someone has to be here to care for all the horses and animals. Mom, her husband and son are making the visitation trips. Her BP goes up when her son and only her son touches her. They have her strapped down so not to move but she keeps twitching extremities. They aren't sure if she is aware of her surroundings. I hope to God she is not aware right now, and isn't in pain. She is living my worst nightmare.

I haven't been to sleep yet but will try to lay down for a while. Thank-you for your prayers.

She is starting to come out of the coma today and seems has movement in both legs and at least the right arm. She also keeps lifting her chest off the bed. They think she may be reacting to one of the ballons in her from one of the tubes. Since the blood is in an areas they can not get to it will have to be absorbed and can not be drained. There is no futher swelling and BP is staying normal as well as her temp. She will be put on another type of med as he can't keep her on the existing one much longer (apparently it will become dangerous to stay on it). I was able to see her today and my Dad decided he was up to seeing her. He had a really rough time, but I talked him through it and he was able to back in the room without tears the second time. I try to keep it up beat for her sake, we have a friend who ent through it said she kept hearing voices, so we hope she can hear us talking to her. We keep letting her know what is going on as far as the tests they are running and that she is doing great. And how everything at home is just fine and she needs to relax and work on getting better. And of course that we are praying for her and love her.

She certainly isn't out of the woods yet, but we are hopeful. We continue to pray from recover and hope all the positive energy she is receiving from all the prayers and well wishes is helping. She's one tough lady.

I am doing Okay but feel as if I have aged 10 years over the last several hours. We weren't terribly close as in "best friends" type sisters but love each other very much and stay involved in each others life. And she gave birth to "my favorite nephew" so that's always a plus, lol. We are like night and day in looks, temperment and way of life, so we don't have much in common except the family bond.

I have been helping Mom and Dad with the stable, food, chores, etc and trying to contribute money to both families. I was able to go in the night of and clean the bedroom before her husband and son came home as she was terribly ill as it happened and the bed, carpets and walls had to be taken care of.

I don't show emotion well, which is probably best as it helps everyone else cope. They can cry without worring that it would set me off . I am trying to think of everything logically and I knew a long time ago that they would very well leave me alone in this world if they continued to live they way they did and I told them as much. I had been waiting for this call for several years, I just wasn't sure if it would be my father or sister first.

I pray she recovers, and with luck it could be in a year with rehibilitation and everything going well (best case scenario).

Right now so many things can go wrong from blood clots, to raised pressure, swelling, infections from the tubes, reactions to meds, etc. So we are living minute by minute and praying for the best.

Sorry to be so longwinded, I suppose it's the stress.

SeaSiren,

Sounds like you do the best thing posible under these nasty conditions.

write as much as you want.. but don't feel forced.

don't worry if you get open emotions. People are diferent.. emotions come in diferent forms.. and at diferent times..

you are not alone!!

She's starting to out of the coma, they have cut the meds in half and can move both legs and her right arm. Still no movement on her left arm. She also tried to open her right eye today. She squeezes hands and gave the thumbs up on her right side, which is great.

There is fluid build up in one lung and we are watching for pnuemonia. These type of obsticals are to be expected. She of course is still in ICU.

After giving the news I couldn't stop shaking, I was alone so didn't make a public display. I guess it has just started to sink in that my big sister is fighting for her life. So many things just don't matter anymore. Maybe I am human after all, much to past boyfriends chigrin I am sure. After shaking for several hours I asked the doc to call me something in, the prospect of not being able to control my emotions is not something I can handle. I do feel better now and don't feel like I may have a breakdown any longer.

Will call her utilities tomorrow to arrange for payment for their bills for the next few monthes...one less thing for them to worry about.

I'm off to visit her tonight, here's hoping I don't have another episode.

They are calling it nothing short of a miracle. The neurosurgeon has never seen anyone recover from this type of stroke let alone as quickly as she is progressing.

As of the CAT scan this AM, All brain swelling is gone! She has movement in all extremities, although the left arm is very little (but it's something). She opened both eyes today (but didn't seem to focus) and responds to everyone. She seems to understand what everyone is saying. She seems to get frustrated, but if I were lying there telling my body to move and it wouldn't quite listen, I would be frustrated too.

They are taking her completely off sedation on Friday; they will also remove the drain in her head and take her off the venilater.

I truly believe all the positive energy from vasts amounts of persons has helped her. She is on several churches' prayer requests as well as so many friends and families. Plus people like you guys where she gets well wishes from all over the world from so many different religions and beliefs. Positive energy is positive energy no matter where it comes from.

Please continue to remember her in your thoughts as so many things can still go wrong.

I feel so much better than yesterday after my getting the shakes episode, I hope to get back on track with planned meals and workouts soon.

Thank-you all!