Prayers Please

SeaSiren

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She rolled to her side tonight to have the bedding changed. This is so incredible! The "ICU Nazi" tried to kick me and her son (my nephew) out (only two visiters) before hours were over because she neglected to give meds when her shift opened. I convinced her (honey to catch bees) to let her son stay for a few while I went to go get her husband to come in to say good night. But once her husband came in he tried to make a scene because visiting hours were still in effect.

Let's keep in mind this is the women caring from my sister all evening. I don't think agricvating her is in the best interest of my sister. Any problems should be addressed to her supervisor, not her. I was a bit disappointed in his ***neck ways (we generally don't get along), as I feel this directly could effect the care of my sister. I will address the eve nurse tomorrow to see if I can sooth it over for my sister's sake. Kind of the "he's under so much stress I am sure you understand, as you are a professional used to dealing with persons in this kind of stress. Please continue to take excellent care of my sister as I know you will." I will take her lack of a schedule to her supervisor for rectification.

SeaSiren,

It's pretty dificult when you don't have control over the situation.. specially when it's about your sister.. my family also had trouble with a hospital.. a good idea might be to write down all things that happend good and bad (like a diary)..

This can help future people in hospital and it might help yourself to be able to say that you did what you could to change things for the positive.. What you can do wit it is up to you..

some people might not like it, but people who want the best will try to improve!!

take care and hope your sister will keep improve her situation and that the people will do the best posible to help her with this.

Also don't forget to pay atention to yourself in this.. try to eat and sleep as good as posible. and try not to worry about other things.

take care

UPDATE:

Things had been progressing until one the nurses changed the bandages on the tube (drain) from here head. When we went in it was full of blood (had been clear) and my sister was a mess, not just with what she didn't clean up but her BP and temp was up. This was yesterday. The original nurse "had to go home" for some reason and we ended up with a sub until the next shift. No one new anything and we couldn't get a straight answer as to what happened. Mom said she would get one from the surgeon in the AM. I told her that wouldn't happen, there is a hospital liability issue and she wouldn't get a straight answer.

Today: no straight answer, big surprise there. He's not sure why, says it VERY unusual. The tube clogged with blood had to be removed today. She is not doing well, I didn't think she was "there" when I went into see her and seemed to be barely holding on. I think she may just be too weak to fight anymore. Doc said to pray hard tonight and that we should get her son over to the church this eve. Never did he say why, but I think it's all related to what happed with the tube.

Some more of those prayers and positive energy her way would be great. I am most worried about her being in pain at this point. I told her I loved her, goodbye and kissed her forehead. I also told her I'd come to see her tomorrow, I hope she's still with us. Mom could use a prayer too, she's a mess....she looks like she's aged so much this week. Thanks.

SeaSiren,

any changes in your sisters situation?

Thanks for checking.

They have removed the resp. tube and feeding tube from her throat. She now has a feeding tube in her stomach and a trach. tube. When they did the trach they gave her too much Anaesthesia and she was all day coming to. This was confirmed by the Resp. Doc (who didn't perform it). I think they gave her enough for her weight when she arrived almost two weeks ago. She is rapidly dropping weight, so they prob. gave her too much. Her main Doc is on vacation a few days, so I'll ask him when he returns and have him adjust her weight on the charts. She is swallowing and moving her mouth a bit. Temps still up. But she shows a little improvement day by day.

I'm glad she's improving. How are you and your family doing ?

I'm good, but then again I take life as it comes. I visit her every day and am trying to keep up with what needs to be done with her family, finances, meals, cleaning etc. They have enough to worry about. My parents, her husband, and her son, have up and down days depending on how she is doing.

I have had record sales for this time of year, so I have to think someone is looking out for us. Unfortunatly this means I have less time to take care of anything outside of work. Hopfully I can concentrate more on their needs next week and do some shopping for them.....oh they are going to so love all the food I pick out for them!

Here we go again!

BP and fever has been down for several days. Not too much progress in movement, but no backslides....until last eve. It seems the eve nurse put it upon herself not to give the BP meds since my sister was doing so well. The other nurses have told her (from experience) that you can't do that because she starts backsliding fast!

So her BP went way up, fever up to 104 and she started to convulse. They worked on her for hours. Mom stayed until mid last eve until they got the BP under control and fever down to 102. She was unresponsive when she left, but assumed it was because she was simply exhausted.

Doc came in today, she is stil unresponsive and now they suspect Meningitis, she is out for testing now.

I'll go over after work this evening. Her husband and my mother are there now.

Results are in, it's bacterial Meningitis and now they know the strain. She is being treaded for it now (they were alternating anti-biotics until the results were in). The good news in they felt she was stable enough to move out of ICU!

She will most likely stay at the hospital for another 3 weeks and if all goes well move to the rehablitation center after that. She is looking at a long hard road. I still pray for her but have really backed up from the family. Their ignorance on what caused it and any change in diet astounds me to no end. After all it was "fast food Denise (although they don't call me Denise) not sugar or processed foods or her high fat diet!!!" But I will still contribute monitarily and visit her, she is still blood after all. Her husbands neck is soo red....when he talks to the hospital staff I just want to crawl in a hole. Does he really think he's making things better by name calling? I really must have been a product of the mail man.

Anyway back to my sister, ultimately it will be her decision how she conducts her life should she see a good recovery. I'll be there for her of course if she wants me.

... After all it was "fast food Denise (although they don't call me Denise) not sugar or processed foods or her high fat diet!!!"

I don't understand -- they blame you for her current situation??

...I really must have been a product of the mail man.

I've had that same thought on more than one occasion.

How you maintain your sense of humor through this is pretty great.

Anyway back to my sister, ultimately it will be her decision how she conducts her life should she see a good recovery. I'll be there for her of course if she wants me.

Hopefully, she'll know how much you did for her.

Here's to a quick and speedy recovery

I don't understand -- they blame you for her current situation??

No they don't blame me for it. But, whenever I mention adjusting their eating habits and her future eating habits I have apparently crossed the line. They don't want to hear it. I don't push my veganism on them, and rarely speak about my diet at all to them because if I mention it it really opens up a can of worms. Case in point I had made the off handed comment about buying groceries for her family and had mentioned, oh good now I can throw away all that processed foods. And they jumped my case pretty hard. Like I said, ultimately if she recovers enough to function by herself it will be her decision not theirs, so well see. In the meantime it's best I stay out of it to keep tension down.

SeaSiren, I think you're right to step back and preserve your own sanity through this. And when I say sanity, I mean the staying away from the madness that we can get caught up in when we try to help those that do not want our help even if we can see the damage they are causing to themselves.

You have obviously given much of yourself in many differnt forms but you need to preserve enough of yourself for you and your own family.

It is true that we need to have the wisdom to let go of those things that we cannot change so that we have energy to change those things that we can.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Thank-you for all your prayers and positive energy. My sister has been moved to a rehabilitation center and is now settled in with a Physical Therapy schedule. So far she can lift her head off the pillow and raise her right arm. She can still move her feet and squeeze hands. It looks as if there is no permanent paralysis! We still do not know about speech yet as the trach remains in place to continue to drain the fluid build up in her lungs. Her BP now remains in check as well as her temp. She has had an infected eye since almost the beginning which has not healed, so we hope and pray they can get it right. Every day is a gift and she continues to heal and become stronger. She is one determained lady and the PT team has NO problem getting her to try anything! Please keep her in your thoughts as she work towards the very long recovery process.

Thank-you, you guys are the greatest!