Prayers Please

SeaSiren

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear she's improving. I can relate 110% on "If you mention veganism, you've crossed the line". It's definitley not as extreme a case as yours, but my mother has been on that South Beach diet for 5 months, and has only lost a couple pounds, and hasn't lost any at all in the past 2 months, and if I say "Cut the milk out" she goes on and on about how unhealthy I am for not drinking milk. (Because, you know, unhealthy people like me toe lift over 300 pounds when we weight 170 pounds, can jog briskly for 5 miles at a time without thinking about it...sorry, I'm ranting)

Good to hear that again though.

- Ed

• 1 month later...

My sister was moved to the state rehabilitation center several weeks back. She continues to improve and can communicate with us although she still has the trach in.

She sees a speech therapist and physical therapy several times a week. She is still unable to sit up by herself but can move her limbs almost everytime she wants too, although akwardly.

She is still fighting some eye problems from complications from the patch over her eye when it was infected. The nursing staff kept ripping the patch off tearing the cornea over and over and over! There are days we go in and she is covered in vomit and obviously the nurses hadn't been in or didn't care (we pop in during non-visting hours to check on her). I now have NO fiath in ANY hospital. It has been hell and she would be dead if it wasn't for her family. The majority of the hospital staff's at all the hospitals are seriously lacking in communication and training and especially giving a damn.

We do have some of our favorites, the physical threapist, speech therapist and a few of the nurses as well as her eye doctor. All competent, unfortunaly they do not make up the majority of her care.

The lady across from her had a another stroke 5 days ago, they finally took her to emergency. Even though we told them she had another stroke (she was no longer comunicating, limp face, no arm movement. This poor woman had no family to help her, and the staff kept saying, awe she's fine. Emergency confirmed the additonal stroke.

All in all for my sister, she is a very strong lady and pushes herself so she can go home again.

Thanks everyone for your continued support and prayers.

So happy to hear she is improving.

ANd I agree with your sentiment about hospitals and staff. The good ones I have found are really good/compassionate/attentive/caring, but they are hard to find. Most simply dont give a damn or couldnt be bothered doing their job competantly and caringly.

That is truly sad since you would expect people dealing with sick people to show a little more empathy. What if it was their loved ones in a hospital? Would they want their loved one to be treated the way they treat others' loved ones? It is so sad.

good to hear about your strong sister!!

Hope she will keep improving. Lack in training and lack in time are part off the medical system combined with the presure. When people don't care they could better look for an otherr job, because you need to like the job it's not the same as working in a factory where it's not nessesary to have perfect comunication skills. (no offence to the people who work there.. i did this myself for a little while, but it's not the same as an hospital...

good luck and stay the way you are.

you are a strong lady yourself!!!

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

There was a meeting today for the family, although I was not invited. My mother and my sister’s husband attended. They seem to believe she has plateaued and may not see much more of a recovery. She still can not speak very well at all, cannot feed herself or completely roll over.

She seems to have the mentality of someone mentally impaired (which she is). They are putting her on another floor, which is a Nursing home, and she will be lucky to receive 2 hours of therapy weekly.

Now my rant: The one person who will most likely still be living to care for her 40 – 50 years from now since she will be living on meds and tube feeding was not invited to this meeting. Her chimney smoking obese husband and my mother who is older was. I am not the type of person to shirk responsibility and resent the fact that she has put me in this position. My sister died on that day, this is what is left of her. She doesn’t seem to be aware of what is going on outside of those walls. This may be a blessing. I resent the fact that I was made fun of for my veganism (her husband still doesn’t equate any food to her problem) and that she would listen to me asking her to please stop the fried food, fast food and morning pepsi. Yes, I resent the fact that she did this to herself, her son and her family. I resent the fact that as a business owner, I am highly taxed and footing the bill for the obese, such as her.

Reality: I will never relay this to her. It doesn’t matter anyway; she doesn’t have the capacity to digest it. I will do what I can until the rest of my family dies off, and I will give her the care she needs. I will forgive her for what she has done to herself so I can recover my compassion. I have always said, “God doesn’t give us anything we can’t handle.” I do get tired though, living through the death of some of my friends, my own infant son, and now seeing my sister reduced to this makes me very tired, but I know I’ll be just fine as always.

If you have read this far you are probably waiting for the point. There probably isn’t one really as I am “preaching to the choir” You guys already now the benefit of diet and exercising. It doesn’t just mean living to 80 or 90 or more. It means living that long with a quality life, no cancer, no high blood pressure, and no diabetes. I just wish the rest of the world would listen. It is sad that we as Vegans must watch them suffer and die.

I'm sorry to hear about the update. I understand where you are coming from. It is sad and frustrating when we can't get through to loved ones when all we're trying to do is help them and save them from such illnesses.

It's ok to rant anytime and to express what's going on anytime. We're here to listen, read, understand and be an anchor of support.

I hope all is well, continue to be strong and stay positive. I look forward to seeing you this summer (assuming you'll be at the AR Conference in D.C. in August).

All the best,

-Robert

Denise,

Hugs, hugs and more hugs.

You are such an inspiration to many people - healthy, strong, ambitious and compassionate. You are a perfect role model for your girls and it is sad that your family doesnt learn from your exceptional and healthy and strong example.

I wish you strength and peace, always, and rant and rave anytime. That is what friends are for.

Man, that is so frustrating. I guess it doesn't strike them as ironic that a chain-smoking obese man is making decisions on her health? That doesn't set a light bulb off anywhere in their heads?

It means living that long with a quality life, no cancer, no high blood pressure, and no diabetes.

Not to mention the cruelty and enviro issues. But us vegans are seen as the crazy ones? Why is this world so backwards?

Stay strong, Seasiren. Keep the faith.

I'm sorry for your frustration and sad because of the truth of your words. IMO making fun of your veganism is their way of assuring themselves that they're right and you are wrong when they can plainly see the truth. You know veganism is the right thing -- live your life the way you want to and don't let them get to you. Sending loads of hugs over the internet SeaSiren. Rant anytime.