Cheap protein powders?

I'm going to get a couple tubs of protein powder, one chocolate and one vanilla, but I want to get the most for my money. I'm in college and consequently broke, so I need something cheap, but isn't going to be a chore to scarf down. I will be using vanilla for fruit smoothies mostly, and chocolate for faster and simple water/soy milk based shakes.

Vega - 390g of protein for 65 USD, roughly 17 cent per gram.

SunWarrior - 705g of protein for 50 USD, roughly 7 cent per gram.

NOW Tru-Food - 364g of protein for 30 USD, roughly 8 cent per gram. (this company doesn't seem to have a chocolate flavor)

What else should I look into?

I've never used vegan protein supplements before, only casein and whey, so I'm not sure what else it out there.

Great question!

SunWarrior isn't available in my area so I haven' t been able to try it though I have heard a lot about it!

I'll be watching your thead to see what the replies are as I'm interested too.

I do like Vega and it is what I use now.

I've just ordered Tru Food Vegan from NOW in Berry (only options I have is natural or berry) but it hasn't come in yet. For me it was 1 KG for $50.00 CAD

Not sure where your from notguilty but order in bulk at trueprotein.com maybe an option you might wanna check. Can save 5% using a discount code in the forums and additional 5% off when you buy 16lbs or more.

Gemma Protein Pea Isolate non-GMO $5.09 per lb

Rice Protein Concentrate non-GMO $5.49 per lb

If custom mix ain't your thing Veganessentials.com is having a sale on Vega this week.

If you're on a real budget, and aren't cutting (i.e. aren't looking for low-carb everything), NOTHING can beat soy milk powder/"soy flour" from a bulk food store (like Bulk Barn here in Canada).

The stuff is something like 60/40 protein/carbs or something like that, but it's around $2/lb here. My brother wasn't able to afford protein supplements for a while and he relied on this stuff. It's just a less purified (higher carb), unflavoured Soy Protein Concentrate

Not sure where your from notguilty but order in bulk at trueprotein.com maybe an option you might wanna check. Can save 5% using a discount code in the forums and additional 5% off when you buy 16lbs or more.

If custom mix ain't your thing Veganessentials.com is having a sale on Vega this week.

Would you suggest these two for a great taste at cheap price, or the soy isolate? All are around the same price, protein content. Also, what suggested sweeteners could be needed, or is that unnecessary? I'm going to use vanilla and chocolate flavors, most likely with fruits and soy milk/water.

These blends are incredibly cheap compared to factory packaged supplements, thanks for showing me.

Would you suggest these two for a great taste at cheap price, or the soy isolate? All are around the same price, protein content. Also, what suggested sweeteners could be needed, or is that unnecessary? I'm going to use vanilla and chocolate flavors, most likely with fruits and soy milk/water.

These blends are incredibly cheap compared to factory packaged supplements, thanks for showing me.

I take my protein powders (60%Pea/30%Rice/10%Hemp) unflavored and I don't mind the taste/texture but other people say different. Skip soy isolate, just go for the 70%Pea/30%Rice protein and choose premium flavor(search TP forums on what people say about the premium flavors).

(My next order will be 70%Pea/30%Rice and I'm on the fence if I'll go unflavored again or go with a premium flavor)

What's the advantages of a Pea/Rice blend over soy?

What's the difference between Premium and Natural Premium flavors? I would like plain ol' chocolate and vanilla, neither of which is offered in premium flavors. I'm probably going to order a large batch soon, in each flavor. I want to be sure to get the right mix.

Should I add any carbs? Which is best?

Should I add any sweeteners? Which is best?

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions.

What's the advantages of a Pea/Rice blend over soy?

What's the difference between Premium and Natural Premium flavors? I would like plain ol' chocolate and vanilla, neither of which is offered in premium flavors. I'm probably going to order a large batch soon, in each flavor. I want to be sure to get the right mix.

Should I add any carbs? Which is best?

Should I add any sweeteners? Which is best?

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions.

I'm trying to limit my soy intake, check out this excel sheet (created by Troy) to help with your decision.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm262/thatsfrosty/TrueProteinCompare.jpg

Don't have an answer for flavors, check TP forums. I've Skipped the carbs & sweeteners but I was looking into Amylocel (Waxy Maize Starch) or dextrose, maybe next order I will look more into it.

It looks like sweeteners are automatically added even if you don't specify one.

I'm going to order a batch of vanilla and chocolate pea/rice protein, maybe with Splenda for a sweetener.

If I do want carbs, how much % of the blend should it be?

You absolutely need a premium flavor if you're not going to be putting it in a smoothie with fruit or something else. If you don't mind the artificial stuff, the premium double chocolate fudge is pretty good.

Trueprotein is focused on being high quality and inexpensive. Their stuff will never match the flavor of the "I want it to taste like a milkshake" gnc products that cost 4x as much.

For the first time I'd recommend you order a few small batches of different flavors. Look on the trueprotein forums for some flavor reviews.