Vegan for Weightloss

Anyone mind helping me in this area? I haven't worked out in about 2 months now. I totally just lost all motivation. I plan on incorporating running (2-4miles 3x a week) as a form of cardio.

I'm currently weighing in at 168lbs. My BF level is at 28% (last time I checked) and I'd definitely like to get that down. My goal weight is 140lbs-145lbs. I'm 5'5 in case anyone was wondering.

I think my biggest hurdle is finding what to eat. I know what I should be eating, but I guess it's like going over my head on how to actually shop for it, and put it all together.

So, what are some things I should be eating for breakfast, lunch, and dinner? I'm not too big on the processed foods. On occasion it's alright. Help!!

What does your typical day food intake look like?

Lately, not good at all. I'd been like binging on Papa John's veggie pizza!

AM: Steel cut oats w/ Almond Milk

Snack: 2 apples w/ PB or Almond Butter

Lunch: Veggie Burger

Snack: More apples w/ PB (I love this)

Dinner: Spaghetti w/ faux meat or stir fry

I try to get in at least a half gal-1gal of water a day. I also take 9g spirulina/6g chlorella/2tsp Maca powder.

I have a long long long ways to go with a better eating plan.

First thing I think when I see your day's intake is more veggies! Maybe add in a salad or something. I guess you would get vegetables on the stir fry day, but what about on the spaghetti day?

Do you ever eat dishes made with beans/chickpeas/lentils/etc.? They are super cheap and you can make some really healthy things that will be less processed than faux meat/veggie burgers.

First thing I think when I see your day's intake is more veggies! Maybe add in a salad or something. I guess you would get vegetables on the stir fry day, but what about on the spaghetti day?

Do you ever eat dishes made with beans/chickpeas/lentils/etc.? They are super cheap and you can make some really healthy things that will be less processed than faux meat/veggie burgers.

I've picked up a few cookbooks from the library, fall in love with the recipes yet silly me never writes them down. I think I'll head to the library tomorrow first thing and pick up some books and do some shopping.

But yeah, you're right. When I do eat salad..it's pretty plain honestly. Usually just romaine lettuce or mixed greens w/ balsamic vinegar. I've never really liked cucumbers and peppers in my salads..

Yes, definitely more veg!

I highly recommend reading Eat to Live. Basic idea: eat loads of veg, some cooked and some raw. Veg should be the foundation of your diet. Eat beans every day. Eat fruit. Maybe eat a bit of seeds and nuts. Cut out oils and refined fats, and basically all other refined foods (or eat them as a rare treat).

I also am 5'5" and was around 165 pounds. I started to follow Eat to Live mostly to make my diet more healthy rather than specifically to lose weight. But I lost 10 lbs in 3 weeks. The challenge is stocking up on all that veg, fruit, and beans and preparing it.

Yup, that's the idea. It's about going for food with low calorie density but high nutrient density.

+1

The prob with most fad and low cal or carb diets is that

1) You don't get all the nutrients you need, hence why you're hungry

2) You don't learn how to eat for when you're "done", hence why most put back on the weight.

I've ranted about this in one of my blogs, but this is the fact of life: if you're looking to lose 20 or more pounds, you're not on a diet...you're engaging in a lifestyle change. Does it mean you can't eat the same foods you used to? Not necessarily, but you WILL have to eat a very different diet, and you CANNOT go active.

I lost 100 lbs once and gained some of it back when I went inactive owing to lack of time and finances. I've spent the past six month correcting this, and I'm not even to where I was yet. But in the process I learned valuable lessons such as:

1) Putting your body in starvation mode kills your metabolism and forces you to retain and/or gain weight

2) Being on a diet doesn't mean being hungry all the time

3) You have to be active and bring your metabolism back up through exercise in order to be sure you can take in the necessary nutrients to fuel your body for said workouts

It's tough but I did it. I used to eat under 1k calories per day, now I eat about 1400-1600 on average and I weigh 25 lbs less.

are there any raw veggies you like, with a dip maybe? to replace apples + PB once in a while? carrots + hummus or broccoli + veggie dip (with imitation sour cream) are some faves here.

OMG, replace my apples and PB- blasphemy lol. Nah I'll look into hummus. I've had it a fewtimes in my lifebut it's been a while.

I'm def not looking for calorie restrictions. I'd like my calorie content to be pretty clean at 1,400-1800/day. I'm not into processed foods.

I found a local CSA not far from my house. They deliver 20+ pounds organic fresh fruits, veggies to your door for $30/week. Can't beat it

1,400 - 1,800 calories seems like calorie restriction to me, especially the lower end! I think I probably need over 2,000 per day to come close to my calorie needs, as would any reasonably active woman of about my size.

You can get 1,400 to 1,8000 calories on Eat to Live. And if you're not getting enough you can add more calorie dense stuff like nuts, avocados, etc.

are there any raw veggies you like, with a dip maybe? to replace apples + PB once in a while? carrots + hummus or broccoli + veggie dip (with imitation sour cream) are some faves here.

OMG, replace my apples and PB- blasphemy lol. Nah I'll look into hummus. I've had it a fewtimes in my lifebut it's been a while.

Advice on PB: don't get the kind that contains any additional ingredients listed beyond "peanuts". MAYBE salt. That eliminates about 99% of the gook and all you get is pure, peanut-y awesome. Additional points if you get to a place where the peanuts are ground and that's ALL YOU'RE EATING. That and just don't eat a ton of it, is all. It's so flavorful that what I do is heat up a little bit on bread and then it spreads around much better and I don't need more of it.

I hate American food. They add CORN SYRUP to peanuts. Bread! Why does everything have to be so freakin' sweet? And people wonder why they can't break their sugar addictions.

My only addictions are chocolate and red wine, and I consume those in extreme moderation.